Pit and battery!

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

pitgirl15
New Recruit
New Recruit

Pit and battery!

Post by pitgirl15 » Wed May 12, 2004 8:37 pm

in your school does the pit and battery alwasy talk with eachother? in the school i go to, it seems like the battery always just stays with the battery and the pit people stick with eachother. its sort of weird like that. but then the pit people are pretty weird (i know casue im one of them). i only talk with like a coulpe of people in the battery but i usually always with the pit. but then it can only be how it is in la sierra
La sierra ROCKS!!!

altohack
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by altohack » Wed May 12, 2004 9:54 pm

yeah, pit and battery are like their own little clicks, or at least in my opinion.
No regrets

punkmehard
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by punkmehard » Wed May 12, 2004 10:31 pm

wow....well. pit and battery at my school, arent pit and battery. its the drumline. no one really refers to eachother as one or the other. just pit and battry. i think the only times we ever say either, is when we're doing sectionals or something. or, if battery has to practice marching somewhere else.

all of though are seriously like a very very tight family. we hang out with eachother OUTSIDE of first period. we talk to eachothr about stuff OTHER than drumline...and its great, beacause all of our best friends are in the drumline, because that who we spend the majority of our time with.

its really great. i see lines out there that fight with eachother, and have disrespect for their leaders, and its weird, cos like, that shouldnt happen. but not ours. im very very glad im in TROY's drumline. we have respect for EVERYONE, and we know that we'll get where we all want to go if we all cooperate.

ah. im gonna miss those kids.
Troy Highschool Battery Lieutenant '03-'04

BASS ONE!!! represent

werd to the drumline.
:):)

MalleTragic
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MalleTragic » Wed May 12, 2004 11:10 pm

At our school there are some people that are very isolated into the pit world and some people very isolated into the battery world, but there's also a lot people that are great friends and very sociable with the other sections. It's definetly an ongoing process of trying to unite the two groups, but it's always improving.
Villa Park High School (02-06)- Drumline Captain
Pacific Symphony Youth Orchestra (04-06)- Principal Percussion
Cleveland Institute of Music (06-10)- Undergraduate Timpani/Percussion Performance

malletphreak
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by malletphreak » Thu May 13, 2004 12:20 am

punkmehard wrote:wow....well. pit and battery at my school, arent pit and battery. its the drumline. no one really refers to eachother as one or the other. just pit and battry. i think the only times we ever say either, is when we're doing sectionals or something. or, if battery has to practice marching somewhere else.

That is how it is with the line at my high school...
Wendy
Kingsmen Alumni Corps 2007
Kingsmen Senior Corps 2009
San Francisco Renegades - 2010, 2011
San Francisco Renegades Assistant Corps Director - 2012, 2013

CaliTrptLeader

Post by CaliTrptLeader » Thu May 13, 2004 4:34 pm

at my school we all talk to each other its never just pit or just battery

Survivor
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Survivor » Thu May 13, 2004 9:19 pm

Well at the school I go to, our Perucssion section is so much like a family we get on eachothers nervs. Druing Concert Practice we sit with each other give each other money for snaks give rids home after Wed. and Mon. practices. We are so close all of our buss partners are from our section. The band hates us because we are so tight. We are also very close to our instructor. We call him Uncle and other names. He is such a cool kat most of the time. We are a colse famlily and we do segregate our selfs as Pit, battery or Pit, Snare, Tennor, Bass. but that is just when we point out sections in the over all we just say Pit, Battery or just Percussion. I hope you are all as close as we are because it is a Percussion Award not Pit, and Battery award......

drumma
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by drumma » Thu May 13, 2004 9:23 pm

in our percussion, everyone is best friends really. everyones pretty much cool with everyone else. theres definitely some friendships that are tighter than others, but most of them are intermingled like a drumline person and a pit person being really good friends. it just happens the way it happens. just whoever you click best with. but primarily we're all best friends in some way or another. its fun that way, makes percussion the best unit of the band ;-) lol but then it makes it a lot harder to let go of the seniors each year :cry:
-dani
fhs percussion captain

"the sucking is out" <-WE MISS YOU RICK!!!

G-E-T-N-A-K-E-D
Mallets 02/03/04/05
Pit Captain 03/04/05
Bass #5 Summer 04

ijuskiddin

Post by ijuskiddin » Thu May 13, 2004 9:36 pm

I'm in the pit, and I actually have a really close relationship with pretty much everyone. Everyone knows each other really well. You constantly find a person from the battery picking out tunes on some keys, or a person from pit with a drum pad and sticks playing drum rudiments. The envirnoment is really cool and we can all learn a lot from each other!
It's all good in the hood like a woodchuck could chuck wood.

punkmehard
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by punkmehard » Thu May 13, 2004 10:09 pm

drumma wrote:in our percussion, everyone is best friends really. everyones pretty much cool with everyone else. theres definitely some friendships that are tighter than others, but most of them are intermingled like a drumline person and a pit person being really good friends. it just happens the way it happens. just whoever you click best with. but primarily we're all best friends in some way or another. its fun that way, makes percussion the best unit of the band ;-) lol but then it makes it a lot harder to let go of the seniors each year :cry:

ah. oh so true.
im graduating this year....oh man.
it wil be hard.
Troy Highschool Battery Lieutenant '03-'04

BASS ONE!!! represent

werd to the drumline.
:):)

PrideofOklahoma
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by PrideofOklahoma » Fri May 14, 2004 10:37 pm

Our drumline has a great relationship with eachother... although I think the battery's got a tighter one. We're all good friends, but the pit does not have the same bond as the battery. I guess this happens because the battery needs to go through alot of marching and running to complete the show, while the pit is inside with a relaxed tension. I'm not saying that the pit does not work hard as the battery because I know they work alot musically. But the fact that our battery goes through alot more physical effort and mental concentration(as in marching and playing at the same time) gives us more hypes about our show. For example, when the battery works on a visual, we complete it after an intense number of run thoughs that basically make us get on our knees, but it feels great after that accomplishment... and we feel the bond because we achieved it with alot of sweat and effort.

In the end, we're all good friends, but I think there are tighter bonds than others.

PercussionAndAllThatJazz
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PercussionAndAllThatJazz » Wed May 19, 2004 4:39 pm

There is sort of a rift between our battery and pit this year, but next year, hopefully that will be resolved, because i really think the 2 should be, essentially, sister sections. Hopefully next marching season I'll be in pit, and if that happens, I'm definitely going to try to get the relationship stronger. :D
-Resa-
Impulse DM 2006

PrideofOklahoma
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by PrideofOklahoma » Wed May 19, 2004 9:41 pm

PercussionAndAllThatJazz wrote:There is sort of a rift between our battery and pit this year, but next year, hopefully that will be resolved, because i really think the 2 should be, essentially, sister sections. Hopefully next marching season I'll be in pit, and if that happens, I'm definitely going to try to get the relationship stronger. :D
GOOD LUCK!! :D It's always good to have an upright attitude for these kind of things. I tried to do my best to get the line together this year, and it really improved compared to last year. So just remember to never give up and keep at it!

blueyedcheerleader13

percussive clashes

Post by blueyedcheerleader13 » Sat Jun 05, 2004 7:49 pm

8-) ~Hi!~

Well, We also have a problem with battery and Pit clashes. it stems from attitude problems that I'm not going to go into. For the most part, our battery grew up together (same middle school) and our pit came from the opposite school. So, that, along with their new-found confidence, makes them unwilling to socialize at most times. :roll: We are trying continually to find ways to enhance communication between the various species of percussionists that we have in the line and much has improved this year. However we still have a lot to work on and if anyone has any suggestions I would be very grateful for them. :wink:
Many things will be righted this year! *shakes fist* As it is my senoir year and I am captain once again *WOOT* things shall be made good again! Hope you all find ways to solve this problem as well!

mangotango
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by mangotango » Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:15 am

At my school both pit and battery are the drumline. Theres nothing between the two groups. But then we also don't have that big of a program. And also I'm leading and organizing everything for our drumline, and I play mallets. Maybe that makes a difference... I'm not really sure....