Drumline Traditions

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

malletphreak
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by malletphreak » Fri Apr 30, 2004 12:17 am

We use to have a "perc party" the evening before and its usually a sleep over... We'd watch drum corp shows and all that geeky stuff.. hell I remember one time we even went over the show mentally... just pretty much bonded...
Wendy
Kingsmen Alumni Corps 2007
Kingsmen Senior Corps 2009
San Francisco Renegades - 2010, 2011
San Francisco Renegades Assistant Corps Director - 2012, 2013

blueyedcheerleader13

Hypes

Post by blueyedcheerleader13 » Tue May 18, 2004 8:21 pm

WEll, this year our hypes kinda went a-wall. When I was a freshman, we would go to Denny's before every competition for breakfast. The manager didn't like us though, hey! drummers will be drummers! We were loud and rowdy. But, we gave them like 20 people of business.. . Anyway, this year, I moved us to IHOP. You get the idea anyway. Having breakfast together is a nice way to chill out and bond before a show, and before the stress sets in. :hug: We even had a few at 3 in the morning. YEAH!!! :D
The other thing we do is take "POWER PELLETS" right before we go on. Our instructor passes out Mentos, and says, "these will make you play better." And lo and behold! What an amazing feat packed into a fruity chewy candy! We are not supposed to talk at all while we eat them. Think about your show. It's a really fun hype. Please variate on the idea though, I too would like to conserve our tradition as ours. :) There are some wacked-out traditions out there..*goldfish*..hey, but sounds like fun to watch! j.k.
Hype up your show, or else, what's the point?

ChaoSnare
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by ChaoSnare » Tue May 18, 2004 10:35 pm

lol, all our hypes this year went slightly...conked....instead of going to denny's, or even IHOP's for our championships we went to Carl's Jr.....at the Vegas comp instead of power pellets we got listerine breath mints....hey jazz, u forgot to add the "Low Rider" hype...well, it's no really a hype its just fun....our bass guitar player learned how to play Low Rider which we "sing" *cough* before we go on.

Bass guitarist *plays Low Rider*
Drummers "dun dun du...mumble mumble Low Rider!...." *adds creative drumming to song*

We also had a sunglasses and wristband hype during fall whre we would wear sunglases up til we formed a block to go to the field, and te wristbands we wore the whole day of the comp.

drumbum07
New Recruit
New Recruit

tradition

Post by drumbum07 » Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:45 pm

this year our tradition is to play a "down beat" right after our 60 second warm up on the feild to get the whole line hyped, and last year our traditon was to bring our hokey pokey elmo to every comp, and then have him do the hokey pokey after the comp was done

RBSnare
Rookie
Rookie

Post by RBSnare » Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:11 pm

we have a few things we do before performances:

standing in the line after warmups, or setting the block to march to the field from the warmup spot...someone in the back of the line clicks the person in fronts harness with his sticks...it goes all the way around the line, then its sent back tapping the bottom rim or hardware with sticks

stick clicks

other little stick tricks that we pass around the line.
Last edited by RBSnare on Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My heart's numbered beat
still echoes in this empty room
and fear wells in me
but nothing seems big enough to defend
so im going away, i am going away...

EUdrumlineYOUKNOW

Not so much a hype but yeah...

Post by EUdrumlineYOUKNOW » Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:08 pm

When I was a sophomore in high school this LAME, nickname started to float around... but first i'll explain how it came about. I got really sick around winter percussion time, as a sophomore, and in "regular band" the new music that was being handed out during my absence had maracas, and no one wanted to play them. So they decided it would be a great idea to give them to me. But some how this carried over to winter percussion practice... and whenever we had a break, out of no where our captain would look at me and make a maraca sound and say, "whats that i hear..... here comes the maraca train." At first i thought they were crazy, but in the long run i eventually accepted that as a "nickname." How is this a tradition? Well a couple years later, I became captain, and at the end of the year we have band awards... so I decided I would pass the maraca train down to the new captain. Well he graduated last year, and passed down the maraca i gave him and also the nickname to the new captain this year. And this year he is passing it down again.

Another tradition we have is, "attention game," well it isnt so much a tradition but the line kinda likes it, because who ever can stay at attention the longest-without moving, or cracking a smile if the instructors decide to have a staring contest. We try to make these games harder because the winner usually wins a couple bucks, or a soda or somethin. Nothing that big, but after a long tiring practice anything is a good motivator.

On another note, I think the mentos tradition is a good idea, and so is the singing the show on the way to the competition. Thank you for those ideas. Mine may not be any help but, i think the nick name games we play brings a certain tightness of the group. It keeps the drama away and sends it to the "drama"guard (colorguard). That is one thing about the drumline, its like a family, no matter the fights or arguements or whatever happens, after its over its like it never happened.

I just remembered one, snares and quads (tenors) can most likely relate (i know the snares definately can). We usually practice with taped sticks, but on the way to the comp, we all sit near eachother and talk and re-tape our sticks. Kinda like a new beginning for the comp, you know put the mistakes you made behind, and kick some ass!

danowusu56

INTRODUCTION-GLORYLAND DANCE ENSEMBLE of Accra, Ghana

Post by danowusu56 » Sun Oct 17, 2004 2:42 am

Dear Sirs,

We are using this forum to introduce our group to you.

Our group is: GLORYLAND DANCE ENSEMBLE of Accra, Ghana.

We are into Druming and Dancing performances and will like to receive offers to perform at functions worldwide.

Kindly extend to us invitations to perform.

Contact us at: danowusu56@yahoo.com

Belle05
New Recruit
New Recruit

Hokey Pokey Elmo

Post by Belle05 » Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:05 pm

Hey Drumbum07 any chance you are from RBV? If not then that i a really weird coincedence but anyways... I would like to take the credit for supplying Elmo for your inspiration. Even though it was meant to be a birthday present for one member of the line but i am glad that it kinda brought the whole line together until someone (cough cough) took the initive to SPLIT HIM INTO PEICES!!!! not cool

drumbum07
New Recruit
New Recruit

hi

Post by drumbum07 » Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:23 pm

yes i go to rbv, u know me lol

MVsnare465
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by MVsnare465 » Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:44 pm

when i was in the cymbal line, we had a mexican ceramic mariachi-esque cymbal player named toemas and he would stand in the middle of our warmup circle. also we have a hyper where our snare captain plays a lick and we play a dotted quarter double stop buzz after it. its c00l :D
mission viejo
snare

JFinch
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by JFinch » Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:55 pm

Before we went on our coach would give us mentos and say "suck now, not later" and we would suck on the mentos.
Then, before drumline championships, the guys in drumline would come togeather and shave each others heads, good stuff.
Los Al:

Alto Sax 2000-2001
Bassoon 2000-2004
Tuba 2001-2004
Pit 2001-2004

Maverick_UplandSnare

Post by Maverick_UplandSnare » Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:55 pm

I so can relate to blueyedcheerleader13....before we go on at every comp, we have a jolly rancher....i dont even remember how it got started but its fun and great to see when everyone is anxious to get theirs...except the grape ones....hahaha :roll:
Upland High School
Snare: 01-05
Bass: 00-01

RBSnarebro

Post by RBSnarebro » Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:54 pm

RB Royal Regiment Drumline has waaaay too many to count!

as my good friend RBSnare said ealier, we do the harness click.. when we stand at attention before a show, the 5th bass player clicks the 4th bass players harness with his sticks, then the 4th bass passes it on clicking the 3rd basses harness etc.etc.etc until it reaches the end of the line...then we pass it back clicking each others drums...

While we get into uniform and before we warm up, its a tradition to rub this little model buddha's stomach that the bass section leader carries around during show days... all of our traditions are nothing really fancy but a hundred little traditions go a long, long way

Of course there is the tradition of the entire drumline sitting at the back of our own bus with the pit included as well...

Our drumline quotes lines from movies all the time... mainly being waynes world!... as soon as we step onto the field of a show, we all say "Game On".... quoting waynes world...

During pre-show warm up rehearsals, we all hang onto our sticks everywhere we go..everywhere..

Theres many many many many more but this post is already too long! any other RB drummers out there who feel the need to add to this post, go ahead.... all the ones i left out... :lol:
Rancho Bernardo DrumLine
Snare Line
Game On.

DrummerBoy
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by DrummerBoy » Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:22 pm

well are pit has a tradition, you know how the pit is always on the side of the fron of the field right before the band performs. well when we get down there, we wait, and when the band before us starts performing we get into a huddle, and we do the hokey pokey right before we run on to the field to perform. oh wel also rub this guy in are pits head for good luck, haha. oh and that shave ur head before championships thing, we plan to do that, well some of the guys do, dont think the gurl will want to tho. haha.
MMHS 5A Saphire Sound
Timpani Player 03-04
Timpani Player 04-05
Bottom bass 05-06
Tenor 06-07

WOW Can I SEE your Timpani?

jbdrummerdude
New Recruit
New Recruit

The Hand Sanitizer

Post by jbdrummerdude » Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:17 pm

us at benicia bring hand sanitizer to every comp. it would say "percussion only" and "we play clean". one time we made a mistake of leaving it at school for the Foothill comp. we didnt place. but at Pacific Grove we brought it and came back with a 92 and first place with a gap of 2 points from second. I must say....you need the hand sanitizer. just dont forget it at school. :lol: