Drumline Traditions

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

TMR Quint Kid
Veteran
Veteran

Drumline Traditions

Post by TMR Quint Kid » Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:42 pm

What traditions do you and your line have?

I'm gonna be a senior next year along with two other guys, and we wanted to start some traditions with our line, to help them sorta become better friends and to help each other out and of course be better drummers.

MinCook
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MinCook » Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:55 pm

You Should start a drumline "hype" that u guys do before comps or during practice to raise the level of intensity... its helps a lot... One of our hypes in the tenor line is to always put our drums down in a line and the harnesses of the two drums when it is break, it gives us a sense of uniformity and its also a visual pleasure to see. Little things like that go a long way.
There is nothing more scary than a kid with an internet connection.

Spyder
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spyder » Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:37 pm

WhSDrUmBuM wrote:You Should start a drumline "hype" that u guys do before comps or during practice to raise the level of intensity... its helps a lot... One of our hypes in the tenor line is to always put our drums down in a line and the harnesses of the two drums when it is break, it gives us a sense of uniformity and its also a visual pleasure to see. Little things like that go a long way.
little things like that can go a long way
no longer dealing with high school ^_^

"If it doesnt hurt your not doing it right,"-Darrin Byrd

invertedcheeze
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by invertedcheeze » Sun Apr 11, 2004 11:14 pm

Hey, the more traditions the better. First there is the stick rule, its not much of a tradition, it really is more of a rule. but this is it, you never ever leave your sticks laying down with your drum during break time or anytime. If someone leaves there sticks then someone else can grab them and chuck them. THat person has a minute to retrieve their sticks, they have to do push-ups gfor every second late that they are. At first a lot of people leave them around, but pretty soon everyone carries their sticks with them everywhere and it is a cool hype.
Some other traditions, always sing your show before a performance, sit together on a bus ride to a comp, find a place to eat every performance day for breakfast of something. Pretty much anything that everyone in the line can hype on and be uniform with is game.

TMR Quint Kid
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TMR Quint Kid » Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:14 am

awesome, thanks guys. I deffinitly like the singing the show one.

malletphreak
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by malletphreak » Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:29 pm

Spyder wrote:
WhSDrUmBuM wrote:You Should start a drumline "hype" that u guys do before comps or during practice to raise the level of intensity... its helps a lot... One of our hypes in the tenor line is to always put our drums down in a line and the harnesses of the two drums when it is break, it gives us a sense of uniformity and its also a visual pleasure to see. Little things like that go a long way.
little things like that can go a long way

yep we have our drumline do the same thing... we also try to make it a point to warm up as a team (battery and front ensemble) before goin on the field... hm another small yet awesome tradition we have is every year around the winter holidays the other drum instructor has a BBQ over at his place... he invites all the kids and some of the other staff and we have steak... thats just some things we do...
Wendy
Kingsmen Alumni Corps 2007
Kingsmen Senior Corps 2009
San Francisco Renegades - 2010, 2011
San Francisco Renegades Assistant Corps Director - 2012, 2013

invertedcheeze
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by invertedcheeze » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:15 am

Uniformity is key, anything can be come a tradition as long as everyone is doing it together.

pichick86

Post by pichick86 » Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:51 pm

I don't remember which one of them thought of it but the whole line this year swallowed a goldfish at band camp and now every freshman that comes has to do it. (I didn't have to, I'm in pit)

TMR Quint Kid
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TMR Quint Kid » Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:53 pm

Hmm that's weird... I don't think I will be trying that out anytime soon :P .

flagchild06
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by flagchild06 » Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:21 pm

Evelyn wrote:I don't remember which one of them thought of it but the whole line this year swallowed a goldfish at band camp and now every freshman that comes has to do it. (I didn't have to, I'm in pit)
Our freshman have to take a gulp of a concoction we make at Hometown when we go to Vegas. If they skip they have to take two gulps. This year a freshman was gagging and almost crying so they made him chug the whole thing.
Uh-oh for life!
EAT THE FREAKIN COOKIE!!!
I can't get my fat ass off the ground.
Because God said I could be a super ninja.

malletphreak
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by malletphreak » Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:23 pm

man you guys are curel!.. :lol:
Wendy
Kingsmen Alumni Corps 2007
Kingsmen Senior Corps 2009
San Francisco Renegades - 2010, 2011
San Francisco Renegades Assistant Corps Director - 2012, 2013

invertedcheeze
New Recruit
New Recruit

Rookie Games!!!

Post by invertedcheeze » Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:42 pm

Two words for you: Rookie Games!

All rookies, not just freshman, but rookies, take part in the rookie games. Usually you make it Pit versus Drumline. There are three events, 1. Whats in the bag? (disgusting stuff, syrup, sardines, potted meat product?) 2. Ranch shots (self-explanatory), and 3. Milkfest. 1 point for the first 2 contests and 2 points for Milkfest. Winner gets the coveted Rookie Games trophy (an old basketball trophy from when i was 7).

This is the most fun thing to do with rookie's, try and think of new disgusting things, different then those, cuz i dont want everyone jacking my schools traditions. But, every school should have traditions, and this is one of the best ones.

gamermanbc
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by gamermanbc » Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:01 pm

TAG!!!!

This year our line started a neverending game of tag. The cool thing is you never know who's it and you can surprise someone by just walking up and tagging them. We usually go to great lengths to keep from getting tagged, like running across campus in the middle of lunch, wasting away time i could be finishing my chemistry homework. Not much of a real tradition... but more like us just being band nerds :P

But most of us would get slapped for playing music that we dont play anymore... heh heh... thats kind of one
I M A BAND NERD!!!!!
SNARES RULE!!!!!
AND... um... uh.... YEAH! THATS RIGHT!

Traverse
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Traverse » Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:32 pm

We also play tag in our pit line.. we get so creative with it. Like we tape pieces of paper to the mallots and throw them at each other. And on the papers it normally says something along the lines of 'you're it'
Be glad you don't have to stick a marimba on a harness and march it.

HelixTuba

tradition

Post by HelixTuba » Fri Apr 30, 2004 12:14 am

im not in the drumline, but my boyfriend is and this is wut they do:
the nights before their first and last competitions, and before any big shows like regionals, they go off to their "secret location" (which is off in the woods somewhere) and they just talk. they all share their feelings about their show and upcoming performance, and its a good bonding experience since they can learn wut one another feels. its especially good for rookies because it gives them an understanding of wut the program is about. another good thing about it is that it gives them a chance to say wut needs to be said, without the watchful eyes of the instructors.
It's all about the tubas!

-Dustin
"Good Times"