Who will win NCBA Open Class this winter?

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

Who will win NCBA Open Class this winter?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:09 am

Vallejo
16%
Foothill
26%
Fairfield
42%
other
16%

Total votes: 19

8-ball
Veteran
Veteran

Post by 8-ball » Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:06 pm

I find that too...which leads me to not comment when people are talking about groups I teach. So no, I am not a part of their staff.

Spyder
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spyder » Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:53 pm

After the foothill show, if anyone watched both vallejos and foothills show, they could tell you that foothill practically had everyone standing in their seats. Vallejo did not recieve as much applause and recognition as vellejo, and its easy to see why. Vallejo had an awesome show, but their show is not as exciting as foothills. The second foothills show starts, it doesnt stop, the second vallejos show starts, it doesnt stop until half way through then it slows the pace quite a bit. This has really nothing to do with scoring, but I think if foothill loses to at least vallejo, some people will wonder how. I cant say anything for fairfield, because i havent seen their show since vallejo's comp. Its gonna be a fun day saturday 8-)
no longer dealing with high school ^_^

"If it doesnt hurt your not doing it right,"-Darrin Byrd

LTL'98
New Recruit
New Recruit

Huh?

Post by LTL'98 » Sun Mar 28, 2004 3:48 pm

Well, I agree with you to some degree. G.E wise Foothill definitely has more visual detail, creative use of props, not to mention some really nice story line communication. What I love about Vallejo is the stage presence, as well as just bare boned good old-fashioned drumming that you can groove to, no excessive use of electronics, voice over, backdrops, floors or personal. Watching the Vallejo show reminds us all what the competition is about, some good clean drumming. Will Foothill and Fairfield beat Vallejo this year at Champs? Unfortunately, for my hometown I would probably say yes, just because due to evolution of the sport, use of Back drops, electronics, floors and theatrics is the direction in which this activity is headed. And don't get me wrong, I'm all for evolution, however survival of the fittest as far as drumlines go, seems to be relative to one thing... $$$. That why I love the fact that Vallejo is doing so well with the limited resources available to them. But, I digress, that could be an entirely new post... I just had a couple of things in response to Spyder's comments...

1.) Judging a group by audience response in their home show is probably not too accurate, due to the inescapable bias of the audience that comes with hosting a show.
2.) I have no idea what you are trying to say in your second sentence.
Vallejo did not recieve as much applause and recognition as vellejo, and its easy to see why.
3.) I didn't see their show on Saturday, but I do recall there being a solo section in the middle, and unless they've changed that, I would have to argue that the foothill show does lose momentum from a G.E standpoint.
4.) No Idea where you were going with this statement
...but I think if foothill loses to at least Vallejo, some people will wonder how.

Forte

Post by Forte » Sun Mar 28, 2004 4:36 pm

Will Foothill and Fairfield beat Vallejo this year at Champs? Unfortunately, for my hometown I would probably say yes, just because due to evolution of the sport, use of Back drops, electronics, floors and theatrics is the direction in which this activity is headed. And don't get me wrong, I'm all for evolution, however survival of the fittest as far as drumlines go, seems to be relative to one thing... $$$.
I disagree. I've observed Vallejo for years and have much respect for them, but while their show design is intriguing and considerably up to the level of their recent efforts, they have some major issues with execution, namely the drill aspect. And this is quite disappointing to someone like myself who considers Vallejo the best in drill execution in the last five years. I think the group's biggest drawback isn't the loss of Zarco but the loss of so many members from last year; individual sections aren't holding up quite well with new members.

The last review I attended was Vallejo's, so I'm not quite up to speed with the shows. From what I saw of Foothill's, they have an advanced book and produce some really great sound, but the design leaves something to be desired. I've never grown accustomed to their occasional "stop-and-go" narration formula that they've been doing in the last few years, and I think that this style bogs down the overall flow of the show. In other words, I was bored. Vallejo's show is groovy and pleasing to the ear, but the quality of their melodies can't hold a candle to Foothill and Fairfield's. And, as mentioned before, they execute poorly.

I really wish I had attended yesterday's review, and unfortunately I can't make an honest decision on who might take it.

fadetosilence

Post by fadetosilence » Sun Mar 28, 2004 5:13 pm

I think the group's biggest drawback isn't the loss of Zarco but the loss of so many members from last year; individual sections aren't holding up quite well with new members.
I definetly agree, and it will be interesting to watch Fairfield next year when they lose their seniors.. The pit will fare okay but their strongest battery lines will be losing members.

I haven't seen Foothill's or Hogan's shows, so no comment on that. Fairfield's pit has done some amazing things this year and the battery has made leaps and bounds of improvement in beats and drill since the beginning of the season. There's still a week left to practice though, and so much can happen in a week. You don't want to go to the first show with all your cards showing... the name of the game is development and peak.. you want to peak at champs.. so it should be a good show Saturday with all the lines doin their best.

MsNikki
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MsNikki » Sun Mar 28, 2004 8:43 pm

I graduated from Vallejo, but I must say I really did enjoy Foothill's show! Maybe it's because I'm a guardie and that I am into the whole storyline thing. Foothill had so much to look at and went beyond just the traditional drumming, which makes it more interesting. Love Vallejo, but Foothill is tearin' it up this year! If VHS wants champs they are going to have to work extremely hard for it, because Foothill is going to be tough competition to overcome. Goodluck to both groups!
World Of Pageantry Champion!

Spyder
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spyder » Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:06 pm

I gotta say, i agree that the whole stop-go concept foothill has does get old, but i love their features. Vallejo has some awesome drill concept, but i think tthey could pull it off better. fairfield...i dont really know how to describe their show. its alot of fun to watch, and my jaw dropped when i saw some of the runs their pit was playing, but im not sure how well they will do. I dont like this new age thing thats goin on with the electronics and all the narration and stuff, but all the shows are awesome this year. like i said, finals will be fun.
no longer dealing with high school ^_^

"If it doesnt hurt your not doing it right,"-Darrin Byrd

Paul
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Paul » Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:01 am

A little hot and musty in that Foothill HS gymnasium last saturday! First thing to notice this season is the lack of Open Division groups! I graduated from Vallejo HS as well and enjoyed both open division groups that performed! Sticking to the same show formula set by John Zarco way back Vallejo put on a great performance. Major difference this season was their choice of 'Earth, Wind, & Fire' (think previous shows like 'Mission Impossible' and 'Twilight Zone'...first time in a while I've heard 'happy' music from them)!Musically they had the best dynamics and pit/battery complimentation! Drill wise execution was pretty moderate. Foothill HS put forth a very energetic performance! Pretty solid pit and battery! Champs should be very close this season! My choice...Vallejo.

GuarDiva04
Rookie
Rookie

Post by GuarDiva04 » Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:52 am

I definetly agree, and it will be interesting to watch Fairfield next year when they lose their seniors.. The pit will fare okay but their strongest battery lines will be losing members.
The only seniors Fairfield will be losing are in the pit... soo hmm I guess their battery will be as strong as they are now eh?

I don't know much about Drumline... I choose to follow colorguard (since I'm in it! lol)But I think that NCBA needs to broaden its horizons... go to some CCGC drumline shows or even better come down to San Diego in April... thats where the REAL beats are and where teh REAL competition heats up. Being in NCBA... you ain't seen nothin!!! Obviously, Fairfield's got something going for them if they just took WGI West Regional Champs... AGAIN! I'm pretty sure those judges know what they're talking about. I personally feel Vallejo is too good for NCBA and needs to try CCGC... the competition there might be too much for their ego's but it's worth loosing to experience something new... thats what we had to do to branch out and get better. Crowd approval is one thing but when u think about it... it's technique and talent that matters... and with that being said... all drumlines in Open class are great! They wouldn't be in Open if they weren't! So while I'm partial to WGI drumlines becuase I feel they are better... everyone in this class has got some talent! GOOD luck @ Champs!! It should be interesting!

Oh and FYI... Fairfield's music is all originally composed so... they've got insane notes in their book!
Fairfield Open 2001-2004
In Motion Winterguard 2005-2006,2009-2010
San Jose Raiders World 2007
Armijo Colorguard Instructor 2004-2006
Dublin Independent Instructor 2007-2009
...Of Essence Winterguard tech 2010

cymplaya
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by cymplaya » Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:03 am

GuarDiva04 wrote:
The only seniors Fairfield will be losing are in the pit... soo hmm I guess their battery will be as strong as they are now eh?

I don't know much about Drumline... I choose to follow colorguard (since I'm in it! lol)But I think that NCBA needs to broaden its horizons... go to some CCGC drumline shows or even better come down to San Diego in April... thats where the REAL beats are and where teh REAL competition heats up. Being in NCBA... you ain't seen nothin!!! Obviously, Fairfield's got something going for them if they just took WGI West Regional Champs... AGAIN! I'm pretty sure those judges know what they're talking about. I personally feel Vallejo is too good for NCBA and needs to try CCGC... the competition there might be too much for their ego's but it's worth loosing to experience something new... thats what we had to do to branch out and get better. Crowd approval is one thing but when u think about it... it's technique and talent that matters... and with that being said... all drumlines in Open class are great! They wouldn't be in Open if they weren't! So while I'm partial to WGI drumlines becuase I feel they are better... everyone in this class has got some talent! GOOD luck @ Champs!! It should be interesting!

Oh and FYI... Fairfield's music is all originally composed so... they've got insane notes in their book!

I have to agree with you. The NCBA needs to "broaden its horizons" The group I teach at mostly does NCBA shows and will be going to WGI Champs in San Diego. We also competed in the WGI regional this weekend and lets just say my kids said they were "babies" compared to the other lines at the show. So much innovation going on. Some said to me "I wish we did the foothill show, at least we would win something." I told them that this was a great learning experience and will only make you better. Winning is not everything.

BTW: Farfields show is a really great show. Im looking forward to seeing them in San Diego. I was happy to see them on top in a super hard class to compete
in WGI. Good luck to them.

wholelottasaywhat?
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by wholelottasaywhat? » Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:50 am

GuardDiva04 says:

"The only seniors Fairfield will be losing are in the pit... soo hmm I guess their battery will be as strong as they are now eh?... ...Oh and FYI... Fairfield's music is all originally composed so... they've got insane notes in their book!"

I heard that most, if not all, of Fairfield's battery is coming back next season. Not 100% sure though. Scary to think how good they'd be next year if that is the case.

As for the original music comment, I was at the WGI regional at James Logan and heard the announcement mention some piece by Dream Theater (a popular group with drumlines at the regional!) and I thought I heard Bartok mentioned as well. So I don't think the show is original music. Insane, yes. Original, no.

Responding to an earlier post from 8-Ball...I don't recall the exact words but it was something to the tune of "we'll see how they (Fairfield) fare at WGI where the real competition is" ....so how does winning the WGI regional open class sound? :wink:

BTW...Hogan HS was pretty cool at the regional too. I saw them in the A class where they finished 7th or 8th. My question to 8-Ball is how he thinks the 7th place A class drumline (Hogan) will do against the Open class 1st place drumline (Fairfield) at the NCBA finals? hahaha (not a slam on Hogan...great show, great kids, and they perform the hell out of their show)

Lastly....Foothill needs to get to this regional man!!! It would have been SWEET to see them and Fairfield duke it out in a national circuit! From what I saw, and what I've seen, they could have been the top two lines in Open at the regionals. But....I know they had their own show the same day. Once again.....TOO BAD NCBA DOESN'T ALIGN THEMSELVES WITH THE REGIONAL SCHEDULES!!!! hahaha ...but that was another post.

fadetosilence

Post by fadetosilence » Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:17 pm

GuarDiva04 wrote:The only seniors Fairfield will be losing are in the pit... soo hmm I guess their battery will be as strong as they are now eh?
Next time you go to a show, check out something other the snare line. There's a senior bass captain and a senior on tenor line. They're graduating this year.

keys8

Post by keys8 » Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:41 pm

I usually wouldn't write one of these but I feel the need to now. After seeing all the Open class groups this year, I think that Foothill is the favorite for the championship this year. The design is just on a different level than many other groups. Fairfield has another quality show but as far as the total package of effect and execution, the staff and kids at Foothill are doing a great job this year. I have seen some replies concerning the "stop and go" nature of their show and I simply don't see it that way. I feel the show does an excellent job of linking all the various elements in such a way that you hardly realize how many different styles and moods have been presented. I much prefer that than the "stop and go" style of ending one song and starting a new one cold like you would in a field show.

Also, in regards to any implication that groups that put on show that include many extra visual elements (backdrops, props, costumes, etc..) somehow just "have" this money, it couldn't be any further from the truth. Any WGI, NCBA, CCGC, show with any of this stuff earns the money for it just like any other group. It's all about planning and fundraising just like in marching band. I would appreciate that never being a topic on this site.

Enough of that negative stuff. All three groups in Open are exciting in their own way. The staffs should be commended for creating great programs and the kids should feel proud about what they have acheived this year. As far as the difference between WGI and NCBA, you have to look at it in realistic terms. WGI has had the top individuals in the activity working on that circuit for many years. The sheets, shows and organization is just further down the line in terms of evolution. NCBA is making significant strides in quality and should be given a chance to evolve as well. Both circuits can co-exist without losing the integrity of one.

Best of luck to all the groups this weekend!

cymplaya
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by cymplaya » Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:09 pm

keys8 wrote:.

Also, in regards to any implication that groups that put on show that include many extra visual elements (backdrops, props, costumes, etc..) somehow just "have" this money, it couldn't be any further from the truth. Any WGI, NCBA, CCGC, show with any of this stuff earns the money for it just like any other group. It's all about planning and fundraising just like in marching band. I would appreciate that never being a topic on this site.
I agree, the school I work for doesn't have a lot of money. We do have lots of props and even a floor. You don't see many of the NCBA drumlines have these things . We fundraise like crazy to get what we need. The school does not provide money for this activity.

8-ball
Veteran
Veteran

Post by 8-ball » Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:09 pm

wholelottasaywhat? wrote:My question to 8-Ball is how he thinks the 7th place A class drumline (Hogan) will do against the Open class 1st place drumline (Fairfield) at the NCBA finals? hahaha
My first comment on to you would be DIFFERENT JUDGES! WGI judges are trained different than NCBA judges...juet FYI.

And secondly, it doesn't matter how I think Hogan would fare against Fairfield at champs...since they are not going :shock:

See you all this weekend and in San Diego.

P.S. GuarDiva04: Maybe you should go look at the Fairfield website where it says what music they are playing and who wrote/arranged it. Because everything but a battery break is not from scratch.