DL fees

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

QuiksilverDude17
New Recruit
New Recruit

DL fees

Post by QuiksilverDude17 » Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:52 pm

Hey I was just wondering...How much do your drumline have to pay to be in drumline?(not for marching season but for court season)What all does that cover?

TMRsaxyDM
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by TMRsaxyDM » Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:21 pm

woah you have to pay to be in winterline?
Pumkin Pie Love..

SKA SKA SKA!

Cheer up emo kid... listen to ska!

Tustin High School TMR Drum Major 04-05

TMR Quint Kid
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TMR Quint Kid » Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:47 pm

Our school hasn't really had a 'winter drumline', but I'm sure since we will this year, we'll have a small fee or we'll just have to pay for our own sticks and figure out how much whatever we decide to do for uniforms is, etc.

Shorty41
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Shorty41 » Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:12 pm

That sucks you have to pay to be in winterline... The only thing we pay for is like are money for like when we go to shows like Vegas for WGI.
Rubidoux HS: Bass 2~

weezer
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by weezer » Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:35 pm

we need to pay for trips, bus fees and instrument use fees (since the equipment belongs to the school). Unfortunately, this can end up being hundreds of dollars.
So this dyslexic guy walks into a bra...

TMR Quint Kid
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TMR Quint Kid » Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:05 pm

I think our band boosters, pay for our trips, but everything else we pay for, which isnt that much. (plus we dont go anywhere really far, like las vegas)

QuiksilverDude17
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by QuiksilverDude17 » Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:30 pm

We've never had to pay before and now with the new director we have to...IMO the fees are absolutely OUTRAGOUS! i cant believe it...so im forced not to do drumline...i love it ....but i cant do it... along with others...seniors...juniors...some of the best players cant do it because of the money...which REALLY REALLY sucks!IMO I would rather get last place in every single tournement then have to pay...because I remember drumline being one of or the funnest time ive ever had in my life....even though we might not have gotten 1st or 2nd every tournement...but i remember the fun...im gonna miss it :cry:
Last edited by QuiksilverDude17 on Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rifter2K4
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Rifter2K4 » Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:43 pm

We really only have to pay for transportation costs to the school, everything else is taken care by our awesome booster program. Our trip to San Diego are cut in costs too, so its sweet. Bingo man its a life saver!

Teever
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Teever » Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:42 pm

Fees depend largely on what your drum line gets and does. Do you get an instructor once a week, twice a week, or daily? Do you have one instructor, a pit & battery duo, or an entourage? Chances are, if your fees are going up (or being charged for the first time), one or several things are happening in your program, including
1) Your boosters are not generating enough income to meet the programs needs (talk to your folks if they're not involved yet).
2) Your program has recently hired more staff, or someone with more experience, or brought instructors in for more time weekly. Most successful programs wil utilize instructional staff several times weekly, and while having a seperate pit & battery instructor isn't absolutely necessary (whatever happened to guys who can do the whole group - that's another discussion topic), it is very helpful.
3) Your program is getting more aggressive about national competition, which generally will require more travel $$ to attend regional competitions.
4) Participation in general fundraisers (those which benefit the entire program) is low. You may want to reconsider how many (or few) of the drum line members are participating in these type of fundraisers.

In any case, you should not be paying anything called an "equipment use fee" - whoever mentioned that might want to make sure you got the story straight from your director, otherwise your program's gonna be yet another on the long list of those currently facing lawsuits for charging fees. They can charge a "repair" fee, or charge for accessories (sticks, mallets, heads, etc.) or an "extra participation" fee, etc, but not an outright fee to use the stuff.

hernandez

Post by hernandez » Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:48 am

at my school we have alot of fees like for instructors,uniforms,transportation,etc. but sometimes it could get a little expensive due to trips
Loara Tenors

MinCook
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MinCook » Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:34 pm

we have a $30 winter line fee and a $75 operational fee.
There is nothing more scary than a kid with an internet connection.

Starky
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Starky » Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:13 pm

Man we have to pay $130 for our winter DL
There is no reality in the absence of observation.

cutenerd17
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by cutenerd17 » Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:45 pm

Our line is mad expensive! I guess we're doing fundraisers or something, but the ticket price is like 250 dollars.
Small but mighty
Charter Oak High

Teever
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Teever » Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:12 pm

A lot depends on how your band program lets you earn your keep. For instance, Hernandez, your program runs a very successful scrip program - more than a few band members have paid for everything that way (btw, looking at the quality of instruction, I'd say you're getting a good deal). Other schools are fortunate enough to have a bingo operation going - protect that cash cow as much as you can, and work when it's your turn (or your parent's)!

By comparison - how many of you guys have played baseball/softball/soccer? For a season, you're usually forking out about $100 - $200 for instruction (and by who - someone's dad who never really played the game?) and practice time (2 - 4 hours a week) and equipment (you know, they do provide a net and a t-shirt, right?). Comparitively, most band/drumline/gaurd fees are still a great deal.

punkmehard
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by punkmehard » Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:11 pm

TOO MUCH!!!

last year ours was 75....considering we got like...hardly anycostuming, and CRAPPY backdrops...and our instructor covered the rest. very nive of him by the way...

THANKS GREG. hahah...like he'd see this...that'd be funny though.

ANYWAY
this year its 225.
we're investing on getting and constructing NICE backdrops (pvc, cloth, wheels, handles) costuming, and other random stuff.

our school give us NOTHING. our band program gives us the instruments ONLY. we have to raise eveyrthing ourselves. we will be doing fundraisers...if people dont get pissy about having drumline earn money..stupid people.

uhm...yeah.
i heard ayalas was like..3000 or something..hm.
crazy if it is.
Troy Highschool Battery Lieutenant '03-'04

BASS ONE!!! represent

werd to the drumline.
:):)