NCBA Championships

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

Steven
Rookie
Rookie

Re: NCBA Championships

Post by Steven » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:45 am

Powerhouse08 wrote:Can somebody please explain to me why NCBA has a "champion" placing, THEN a first place placing?
I would guess because you have to qualify for "champion" by competing in the minimum required shows, but are still allowed to compete at NCBA finals without that requirement. :?:
Fairfield High 2007-2009
Instructor/Arranger/Visual
Reed High 1998-1999, 2001-2003, 2007-2008
Spanish Springs 2001-2003
Mandarins 2006-2007
Instructor – Battery

Powerhouse08
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Powerhouse08 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:39 pm

I guess that makes sense, but does NCBA ever have that situation? I mean, seriously, does anyone ever want to leave their circuit finals to go to NCBA finals? I would think it'd be the other way around. In my mind, rather then have it like how they do (its confusing when a group that say, gets "2nd" at championships, but actually gets 3RD overall in their division) and just make it simple and have 1st, 2nd, 3rd....etc.....its just crazy how backwards and old school NCBA is.
Atwater High School 04-09
music arranger/visual design/snare tech
Merced High School 09-12
music arranger/visual design/Percussion Caption Head
Golden Valley High School 12-?

pghs_instructor
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by pghs_instructor » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:53 pm

I've seen this happen a few times. If I recall correctly, Homestead competed in Scholastic in 2007 and their placement was affected from not having competed in enough NCBA shows. That being said, I agree that it is certainly confusing...
JT
Pleasant Grove H.S. 2007-2012 - Percussion Caption Head
Elk Grove High School 2004-2007 - Bass/Percussion Tech

newguy
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by newguy » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:58 pm

There were several groups that participated in both Drumline and Guard this year that weren't qualified for Championships. Reno, Damonte Ranch... to name a couple.
They didn't neglect their own circuit's championships for ours... they actually did both from what I understand.

That being said... I think it is ridiculous to have Champs and 1st place... If you want to call the highest score Champs then the next trophy should say 2nd... otherwise just call it what it is.
I also think if you want to call the event Championships then it should only be open to those groups who qualify to win it. Why are groups able to enter the circuit's championship event if they aren't affiliated with the circuit? I like the prelims model, where you have to place at a qualifying event in order to participate--- I don't see it happening, but I like it...

opuszero
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by opuszero » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:08 pm

Powerhouse08 wrote:Can somebody please explain to me why NCBA has a "champion" placing, THEN a first place placing? What's the point of that? The group that wins championships is the group with the highest score, or 1st place. so why would you give "1st place" to the group with the 2nd highest score? It's never made any sense to me why they would do that.....
I have a theory...

The only reason that even remotely makes sense to me is that schools who place as the runner-up can still go home and report to everyone that they took First Place at the Championships. These things tend to end up in school papers and in Facebook feeds (and most people who aren't involved in the activity won't know any better).

Powerhouse08
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Powerhouse08 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:33 pm

i was thinking the same thing, but i hope that wouldnt be the case....
Atwater High School 04-09
music arranger/visual design/snare tech
Merced High School 09-12
Golden Valley High School 12-?