NCBA rule proposal #4

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

brian_aguilar
Rookie
Rookie

NCBA rule proposal #4

Post by brian_aguilar » Sun May 16, 2010 5:42 pm

Feedback welcomed. I feel this might be the weakest of the rule proposals, but what the heck.

Proposal Title: Winter Regionals
Proposed By: Brian Aguilar
Date: 5/15/10
Fiscal Impact: unknown
Impact: controlling the size of the championship show

Proposal:
I propose that the shows the weekend before winter championships be mandatory "regionals." Each regional will advance the top 5 in each classification of winter guard and winter percussion to the championship show. Every group wishing to participate in championships must compete and qualify at one of the regionals.

Reasoning:
The NCBA Winter Championship show has grown out of control. The show is simply too long. The length of the competition puts financial as well as physical burdens on many schools. Leaving at 4 a.m. for the show and returning 20 hours later for some groups is too much. This will also ease the burden of scheduling groups and judges.

Powerhouse08
Rookie
Rookie

Re: NCBA rule proposal #4

Post by Powerhouse08 » Sun May 16, 2010 6:06 pm

this is an awesome change that SHOULD be made. however, i can see how some schools would feel that it would be unfair. Even though it would, like how you said, save schools plenty of time AND money, people would complain that their groups are getting "left out." (mainly the groups that dont place in the top 5 at the 'Regionals') I could also see the hosting school complain. (less schools=less money made selling food and junk) Maybe another idea would be to have Guard championships on one Saturday, then Percussion the following Saturday...? 20 hour days are way too long for a competition, and it would be good to see the TOP COMPETITIVE GROUPS duke it out at an actual FINALS competition. Because as much as it is a musical activity, it is also a COMPETITIVE activity. Diggin the new ideas though...

brian_aguilar
Rookie
Rookie

Re: NCBA rule proposal #4

Post by brian_aguilar » Sun May 16, 2010 6:21 pm

Powerhouse08 wrote:this is an awesome change that SHOULD be made. however, i can see how some schools would feel that it would be unfair. Even though it would, like how you said, save schools plenty of time AND money, people would complain that their groups are getting "left out." (mainly the groups that dont place in the top 5 at the 'Regionals') I could also see the hosting school complain. (less schools=less money made selling food and junk) Maybe another idea would be to have Guard championships on one Saturday, then Percussion the following Saturday...? 20 hour days are way too long for a competition, and it would be good to see the TOP COMPETITIVE GROUPS duke it out at an actual FINALS competition. Because as much as it is a musical activity, it is also a COMPETITIVE activity. Diggin the new ideas though...
Thank you. Only problem I personally have with split championship dates is that I want my guard and percussion there to support each other. I can see those that benefit from the cash cow that is NCBA championships not liking the idea of limiting the number of entries, but we would still have the top 10 of each class of percussion and guard represented. I'm not sure how many classes that would even affect (outside of novice).