BASS DRUM TUNING HELP!!!

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

Powerhouse08
Rookie
Rookie

BASS DRUM TUNING HELP!!!

Post by Powerhouse08 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:02 pm

recently the drumline i teach got enough money to buy some new bass heads (which we desperately need!) However, im not that good at tuning bass drums. We're sticking with REMO and ive decided to get the "Black Suede Power Max" bass drum heads. Ive heard good things about them, but at the same time ive never used them before so dont really know if they need foam muffling inside to get that nice, warm tonal sound, or if the heads are fine on their own. If i could get some help with any of this, id greatly appreciate it! THANKS EVERYONE!

BKdrummer
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: BASS DRUM TUNING HELP!!!

Post by BKdrummer » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:36 pm

I would suggest putting a ring of foam on the actual shell that sticks out @ 1/2 an inch. This way you never have to worry about foaming each time you get new heads. This will give you the sound that you're looking for. Another option is to go with the Evans MX1 or MX2 that has the built in muffling system. Hope this helps.

Powerhouse08
Rookie
Rookie

Re: BASS DRUM TUNING HELP!!!

Post by Powerhouse08 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:48 pm

thanks man! i actually do have the foam around the edge....i just dont like the heads we're using now. (basic smooth white remo bass heads) As for going with Evans....well, we already have some REMO heads on the snares and tenors, and seeing as how i like uniformity, i dont think we'll be going MX route. We might try going with Evans next year though....has anyone tried those Black suede heads?