Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

Slaphappy7
New Recruit
New Recruit

WGI @ Union City PRELIMS 2010

Post by Slaphappy7 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:49 pm

Any thoughts on the show?

Follow us on twitter and friend us on Facebook!

http://twitter.com/SFRenegades

http://www.facebook.com/SanFranciscoRenegades

Slaphappy7
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: WGI @ Union City PRELIMS 2010

Post by Slaphappy7 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:38 pm

Ok! Here we go! I got to the show late because of a previous engagement so I missed A class. And since the rest of the classes had just about everyone go into finals I will stick with the PSO class for my thoughts...

Jesse Bethel HS - With all the negative trash talk on the internet about Bethel, the guys and gals from Vallejo, CA had something to prove with their show "Oasis" And even with a run that seemed to be filled with nerves and a lil uncomfort, they proved it scoring the highest out of the 3 NCBA schools in attendance. They move extremely well and their Tenor line has notes for days! Dynamic range was probably the most (and one of the best times) I've seen from this organization. Their pit is also smokin! IMHO, prelims was a nod to Bethel saying "you know what you are doing just keep doing it." The musical and visual book works for them and is very WGI!

Benicia HS - Benicia has made some changes to their program "Dark Circus" to make it more of their own instead of (again MHO) a lite version of RCC's "City of Lights" (see WGI 2008). They seemed to have a very solid run this morning. I am digging how the ring master really takes control of the performers and commands your attention during the show. I wish there was like a creepy clown or two running around (Juggalo much?) but that's just me. :P Props for them finally stepping out of their normal curcit. Maybe this will continue the trend (or start to initiate some rule changes elsewhere...)

Amador Valley HS - "Forbidden Dances" to me was the most apparent theme of the day. The Latin-esque theme seemed to be a bit shaky this morning but held together enough to earn a good spot in finals. The battery moves pretty darn well though I think the front ensemble is a little light on their end of the book. Major improvement from the last time I saw this group though.If they can find a fire to light up under them (btw that fire got ignited @ finals for sure. WOW) they will be a contender for CCGC's title this year.

Beyer HS - Ok let's call a spade a spade "Finding Center" was the open class show of the day. Period. End of story. That's all she wrote. Musically and Visually this group has it all. The style (for a good reason) is VERY SCVC (see their staff list) and these kinds know how to preform. They did not play the most notes of the day (Bethel still holds that title) but they were clean! And every one of their impact moments worked. I see very good things for this Dayton bound group Perhaps an Open title?

Clovis East HS - ??? what happened to them? :(

Fairfield HS - Tough break for the defending NCBA champs. Electronic problems compounded what seemed to be a bad run to an unfinished show (kinda late in the season to park and bark the last 90 sec of your show) "From the dust" is a cool concept but it doesn't seem that anyone in the audience (judges included) was buying it. I will say there are moments of coolness in that show mainly when Fairfield turns back to their darker roots. Ultimately, they were sent home early and the NCBA trifecta was left incomplete. Hopefully the champs can fix the apparent chaos they have or there will be a new NCBA champ without a doubt.

Clovis HS - "Move it" has enough 808 to keep everyone moving in the gym. The concept is very fun and the folks from Clovis (central?) don't disappoint in the meat department either. They seemed to have some electronic issues this morning (today seemed to be the curse of the electronics day for alot of people :lol: ) I was loving the pop and lock from the battery and the long trippleit roll while the snares are marching backwards was primo! If I am right Clovis is also going to Dayton and should do very well.

I would love to hear other people's thoughts on prelims (epically on the A class as there was 12 units). I hope you enjoyed my lil PSO review and look forward to seeing more!

Follow us on twitter and friend us on Facebook!

http://twitter.com/SFRenegades

http://www.facebook.com/SanFranciscoRenegades