WGI @ Union City FINALS 2010

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

Slaphappy7
New Recruit
New Recruit

WGI @ Union City FINALS 2010

Post by Slaphappy7 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:50 pm

Thoughs? Comments? Gripes? (I'll post my $0.07 after the show)

Follow us on twitter and friend us on Facebook!

http://twitter.com/SFRenegades

http://www.facebook.com/SanFranciscoRenegades

Steven
Rookie
Rookie

Re: WGI @ Union City FINALS 2010

Post by Steven » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:01 am

James Logan made me smile :D
Fairfield High 2007-2009
Instructor/Arranger/Visual
Reed High 1998-1999, 2001-2003, 2007-2008
Spanish Springs 2001-2003
Mandarins 2006-2007
Instructor – Battery

Slaphappy7
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Slaphappy7 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:04 am

i agree! fun show.

Quick thoughts as its 0100 hours

Beyer was GREAT! <3 their show.

Los Banos should do very well @ Dayton

Big props to Springstowne for making it back into the regional finals scene! I think that program is officially or dayum close to legit

Heard this was the 1st time Bethel made it to a regional finals EVER. Congrats and though break on the tech problems.

Looks like almost everyone had some tech problems though

Ida Price Charter are Beeeeeeeeeeeeasts!

SCV with 90% of the trademark SCV moves ftw

I'll do something formal tomorrow

chickenandwaffles
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by chickenandwaffles » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:03 am

Go Lancers!!

buzzatapa2314
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by buzzatapa2314 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:54 am

I didnt see the preformances but saw them at the lot:

clovis's show was pretty good nice i liked ,beyer's was really good too, it was pretty cool too that springstowne ms made top five and got to finals i gives props to them.

Georgie
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Georgie » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:28 pm

Congrats to all who made finals!
Conclusions that can be made from this regional: CVGPC [Central Valley-Modesto], CCGC [Bay Area], and SJVGPR [San Joaqun-Fresno] have owned and continue to own this regional. CVGPC and CCGC won all classes [with the exception of Indy A] and over the years have always done so [the exceptions being Fairfield in Open a few years ago and the famous Springstowne year].
Yes ... congrats to Benicia, Bethel, and Springstowne on making finals, but alll of the NCBA stuff on this regional and on this board is just so overdone. Bottom line, until NCBA as a circuit steps up and switches to WGI sheets and upgrades their judging panels, NCBA will at times step up at this regional, but will normally get dominated [as seen here].
By the way, yes I realize, a lot of CCGC and CVGPC groups did not make finals, but they always come out for these shows and, over time, usually imporve [see Los Banos, for an example]. NCBA could use this as an example to follow.
Just my 0.02!

pittech
Veteran
Veteran

Post by pittech » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:33 pm

Georgie wrote:Congrats to all who made finals!
Conclusions that can be made from this regional: CVGPC [Central Valley-Modesto], CCGC [Bay Area], and SJVGPR [San Joaqun-Fresno] have owned and continue to own this regional. CVGPC and CCGC won all classes [with the exception of Indy A] and over the years have always done so [the exceptions being Fairfield in Open a few years ago and the famous Springstowne year].
Yes ... congrats to Benicia, Bethel, and Springstowne on making finals, but alll of the NCBA stuff on this regional and on this board is just so overdone. Bottom line, until NCBA as a circuit steps up and switches to WGI sheets and upgrades their judging panels, NCBA will at times step up at this regional, but will normally get dominated [as seen here].
By the way, yes I realize, a lot of CCGC and CVGPC groups did not make finals, but they always come out for these shows and, over time, usually imporve [see Los Banos, for an example]. NCBA could use this as an example to follow.
Just my 0.02!

This.
Calvin D. Carr
Director of Music -Pixley Middle School & Pixley Elementary
http://www.pixley.k12.ca.us

Georgie
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Georgie » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:08 pm

pittech - - amen to that highlighted statement.
NCBA are sheets bad [bottom line!], and if you compete normally in NCBA, you have no idea how you will do at a WGI show. Bethel, Springstowne, Benicia, and Fairfield all [in the past at least] have attended CCGC shows and have a clue, BUT when they return to NCBA, up go the numbers and they are subjected to many adjudicators that have never sniffed WGI.
Kudos to those NCBA groups going to WGI, but of you want to make a long term impact, make the move to a WGI sheet using circuit or get NCBA to come out of the stone age!

Slaphappy7
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Slaphappy7 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:16 pm

Georgie wrote:pittech - - amen to that highlighted statement.
NCBA are sheets bad [bottom line!], and if you compete normally in NCBA, you have no idea how you will do at a WGI show. Bethel, Springstowne, Benicia, and Fairfield all [in the past at least] have attended CCGC shows and have a clue, BUT when they return to NCBA, up go the numbers and they are subjected to many adjudicators that have never sniffed WGI.
Kudos to those NCBA groups going to WGI, but of you want to make a long term impact, make the move to a WGI sheet using circuit or get NCBA to come out of the stone age!

To take it one step further

Certain groups (that are now more CCGC/WGI/Other circuits) actually have been epically as of late doing WORSE in the rankings vs NCBA loyal schools.

Strange no? Esp since the #'s say otherwise

Fact - NCBA sheets do not judge Visual. I can't remember why but the reason has been put up here.

Georgie
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Georgie » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:54 am

Review of champions [sorry ... missed world class :(]
Schlastic A - Los Banos - WOW ... what hands! Year after year, Banos comes out and can flat out play, but this year they have a unique visual package as well with their "Scrabble" concept. The performers spell out words to illustrate musical moments using scrabble tiles connected to their backs. Great energy and design, and again the kids can just play!!! Now, Los Banos has come out for at least the past 10 years at this regional and been consistently top 3, but has only made finals once [2004]. Could this be year 2?
Indy A - eNVision - Looks like kids from Reno have chops!! With a risky concept based upon "Addiction", this group utilizes voice overs about addiction throughout their show [hopefully, the tech problems they had at finals won't crop up again ... prelims for this group really showed what they are about]. They play well with a book that is not overwritten for an A class unit, but they have yet to totally tie together the addiction concept. If they push it, finals is not out to the question.
Concert A - Lodi - Great job by a group brand new to regionals. A nice rock based program that shows the future is bright for this group.
Concert Open - Price Charter - When you see this group, the younger kids stand out as being so cute ... and then they play ... and knock you on your backside. They flat out can play using a bluesy Copeland concept. Their maturity, comfort, and mastery of their instruments is unbelievable, especially given how young many of them are. Another Dayton group ... 1st time visiting should equal a finalist.
Scholastic Open - Beyer - They are officially a machine. Too bad no Dayton this year [from what I have heard], because as usual, not only can they play [great pit ... consistent battery], but they outmove EVERYBODY regardless of class. Sophisticated and consistent ... they just don't make mistakes.
Indy Open - SCV Cadets - Hmmm ... am I watching SCV or Beyer? Actually, it was funny ... Amador Valley, Beyer, SCV are all twins as they have the same design staff!!! SCV is doing very well in their first indoor year. Great breaks show off their battery, and a they feature a very strong pit. They seem to be getting the visual side, though this is the weakest portion of their program at this point.

gcarrasco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gcarrasco » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:59 am

Thanks to all the positive comments about Springstowne, the kids are proud to represent Vallejo and NCBA. I have seen posts that have said NCBA does not judge visual on the winter percussion sheets, that's not true: on the General Effect sheet WP-2, 500pts are given to Visual Effects.
I agree some updates are needed on all the sheets but everyone needs to understand NCBA was started by high school band directors and has no interest in changing what they do to try to conform to any other activity. "If it ain't broke ,Don't fix it."

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:04 am

The NCBA sheets also have a Total of 2000 points available and then perform a x 0.1 to get the score out of 100. :? Er, might want to check your math.

gcarrasco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gcarrasco » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:12 am

Hostrauser wrote:The NCBA sheets also have a Total of 2000 points available and then perform a x 0.1 to get the score out of 100. :? Er, might want to check your math.

I'm confused, did I miss count 500?

olledowerdna
Rookie
Rookie

Post by olledowerdna » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:18 am

Ncba needs to realize that it's very broken and NEEDS to be fixed.
BD 1993-2011
Freelancers Winter Percussion 2004, 2006-2008, 2010

BDB Snare Tech - 2012-2014
Foothill HS & California HS Percussion Caption Head - 2009-2014

R.I.P "Nonno" - Tony Odello - Founder of the Blue Devils

pittech
Veteran
Veteran

Post by pittech » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:06 pm

From wgi.org
Union City Percussion Regional Review
March 15, 2010
Back to News
ShareThis
By Steven Sperber

Scholastic Marching A

Los Banos HS, (CA)(1st 88.60)
With a commanding performance of their program titled “Scrabble”, Los Banos swept all sub captions for Scholastic marching A. The guitars and drumset were a perfect compliment for fusion and the pit orchestration really demonstrated an understanding of jazz harmony. The floor was a convincing scrabble board and the members formed word s with their clever costumes. The words, for example “MELODY”, were then portrayed through the music and visual devices.

Leigh HS, (CA)(2nd 87.55)
This show was a great example of how you don't have to be too literal with a concept for it to be effective. Three large gears on the floor and a well thought out visual design were enough to present their show “Chronos” in a clear light. Leigh High School had a very clean look, from the uniforms and equipment to the marching technique. Well defined ensemble phrasing and great use of auxiliary percussion made for a very effective musical performance.

San Marcos, (CA)(3rd 86.10)
San Marcos asked what we really have to be grateful for. Their show, entitled “Gratitude”, had a decidedly unappreciative mood in the beginning that gave way to a more thankful view of the world. This tenor line had some very impressive moments both from a writing and playing standpoint.

Madera HS, (CA)(4th 84.05)
Presenting a fun show entitled “En Route”, Madera took us for a ride by car, by plane and of course, on the train. As one might expect the train section was very entertaining. Overall a very well put together package from Madera High School.

Springstowne MS, (CA)(5th 82.25)
Springstowne presented a show titled “Nocturne”. In addition to a fifteen-member battery this Performance Ensemble had a very well put together color guard. At times up to eight weapons were thoughtfully integrated with the battery to provide some very coherent visual impacts. Padding in the back served as a raised platform for the drumline to utilize with halftime swagger. This group was without a doubt a crowd pleaser.

Hanford HS, (CA)(6th 79.25)
Hanford High School presented a show titled “News Radio”. Talk radio snipets, including a very recognizable Sarah Palin clip, along with a radio tower floor painted a very clear picture of the theme. Some stand out musical moments from the group included nice statements from the full battery and an impressive mallet accelerando. Hanford's mallet line presented a consistently clear articulation throughout the show.

Idependent Marching A

eNVision Percussion Theatre, (NV)(1st 81.40)
It is great to see this organization providing a stable opportunity for young percussionists in Northern Nevada. With their 2010 show “Addiction”, eNVision continues their upward trajectory in both design and performance started just a few years ago. The negative aspects of addiction and a more positive concept of seeking help are portrayed by the members in this well balanced theme. Look for this group to make a strong showing again at WGI finals.

Hogan Independent Percussion Ensemble, (CA)(2nd 62.20)
Presenting a show titled “The Virtual Experience”, Hogan Independent took the audience through a drum line simulation. The main character gets to experience the wonders of playing in realistic winter percussion environment. The program progresses through stages that are ever increasing in demand. Unfortunately at the end of the program the users credit card runs out. Definitely a fun program to experience.

Scholastic Concert A

Lodi HS, (CA)(1st 83.50)
Presenting their show “Maybe Now”, Lodi High School provided us with some very smooth sounds. Swelling dynamics from the vibes and cool synthesizer features were some of the performance highlights. Overall I think this group did a great job of handling complex rhythmic passages while maintaining a good sense of the groove.

Scholastic Concert Open

Price Charter School, (CA)(1st 85.00)
Right off the bat I was drawn in by the dynamic range of “Blue Shades”. Price Charter used several subtle visual tricks to keep the audience involved in this musical program inspired by Frank Ticheli's composition of the same name. Several enticing auxiliary percussion elements provided the audience with a rich audio palate. A solid performance from the timpanist in particular and the ensemble as a whole.

Scholastic Marching Open

Beyer HS, (CA)(1st 89.35)
Sweeping all sub captions with their program “Finding Center”, Beyer High School was the complete package. A strong program both from a design and educational standpoint. Visual elements compliment and gently remind us of the theme. The ear is instantly captivated with a 7/4 tenor groove and this well arranged battery kept delivering. A strong mallet line had no problem keeping up and their arrangement tied in well with the theme. The lush ensemble sound this group achieved is the product of a well-designed and executed plan.

Amador Valley HS, (CA)(2nd 84.05)
Amador Valley put on a visually progressive program titled “The Forbidden Dances”. The large variety of lower body movement this group displayed was refreshing and helped secure them 2nd place in both Visual sub-captions. The battery not only demonstrated a large vocabulary of dance moves but showed us a command of hybrid rudiments as well. This pit really packed a punch in terms of volume and was well arranged much like the battery.

Clovis HS, (CA)(3rd 83.30)
Presenting their program titled “How do you move it?”, Clovis High School filled the floor with a full sized drumline. This group was extremely animated and it earned them 2nd place in both General Effect sub-captions. This animation was well tied in with the musical program, a concept heavily explored in the beginning and the end of the show. Some very difficult and exposed moments from this snare line including a classic long roll.

Benicia HS, (CA)(4th 82.75)
Benicia High School presented their program “Dark Carnival”. A well-dressed red ringleader leads the members through a variety of twisted side shows. An emotional performance from group helped sell the theme. Here is the deal, these cats can drum. A lush pit feature demonstrated both musical and technical variety. That coupled with a very consistent roll quality helped them snag 2nd place in both Performance sub-captions.

Jesse Bethel HS, (CA)(5th 80.75)
Performing their program “Oasis”, Jesse Bethel High School painted a clear desert scene. Frame drums and a very entertaining cymbal feature start the show off right. Each individual battery segment had exposed moments and the pit members got their chance to shine as well. This large drumline had a strong sense of effective weight in their visual program.

Independent Marching Open

Santa Clara Vanguard Cadets, (CA)(1st 87.6)
It’s exciting to see the same artistic and educated approach I have come to expect from the Vanguard Cadets transform so well into the winter venue. This group is a strong reminder that great music, a clean snare line and solid drill go a long way. “The Prelude” was a smart way for Vanguard Cadets to start out in this activity. I really hope they continue to provide this opportunity for the members, and entertainment to the rest of us.

Full Force Percussion (CA)(2nd 75.60)
Presenting a program titled “Define”, Full Force Percussion was a great addition to the Independent groups of the night. They showed us anger as well as a more graceful side and clearly defined those concepts. The snares had several impressive moments, one of them kicking off the show. Hopefully, Full Force can make the drive up from Pasadena every year, I could tell the people around me enjoyed them.

Scholastic Marching World

James Logan, (CA)(1st 89.95)
James Logan presented “Pure Imagination” for their 2010 WGI percussion program. Although the concept is lighthearted there is no shortage of intensity from Logan. High velocity drill and a demanding battery book keep the performers heart rate up while pulling the audience in. The vocal samples were well balanced with a strong front ensemble. Several creative gimmicks gave way to a very exciting and ridiculously demanding ram from the drumline to wrap the show up. If thoughts of Gene Wilder and five golden tickets bring back warm fuzzy memories, you might have a soft spot for this show.

Homestead, (CA)(2nd 80.75)
Homestead returns to World Class competition this year with “Rorschach”. The famed inkblot test is featured on the backdrops and throughout the performance. This was the smoothest sounding cymbal line and the group as a whole really improved for the night show. Homestead illustrated how each person’s perspective is different and what we project onto an object can be a very telling window into the psyche.

Independent Marching World

Freelancers (CA)(1st 91.15)
“Desire” explores the concept of intense wanting and fixation with a very sensual and intense program. If you get a chance to see Freelancers live, do yourself a favor and live vicariously through one of the snare drummers. Performing drill as demanding as that while pulling off fast rolls is my idea of a good time. If the snares produce a couple good runs they could be something really special at finals. The battery book, while demanding, compliments the front ensemble in an audacious and intellectual way.
Calvin D. Carr
Director of Music -Pixley Middle School & Pixley Elementary
http://www.pixley.k12.ca.us