World of Pageantry

World of Pageantry

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Rodriguez Winter Show
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:39 am 
Offline
New Recruit
New Recruit

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:44 am
Posts: 38
well I just watched a recording of faifields show followed by jesse bethels show and I'm sorry but I would love to hear stevens opinion on how the judges justify fairfield winning that show and also how they won by .9. Bethel clearly had a more complete show with a bigger dynamic range, cleaner, harder music, extremely better feet, and a better presence on the floor. I'm really trying to figure out how to rap my head around the scoring for that day. Someone that was there please clarify this for me.

_________________
Looking forward to seein some lines turn it up this year...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rodriguez Winter Show
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:24 am 
Offline
Rookie
Rookie

Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:57 am
Posts: 151
backtobasics05 wrote:
I'm sorry but I would love to hear stevens opinion on how the judges justify fairfield winning...


I'm sorry to disappoint but I don't have an opinion on the subject. I haven't seen either group, live or video. I don't know what shows they are playing, I don't know the musical selection of said shows...

I would love to hear your opinion on why you assume I have an opinion.

_________________
Fairfield High 2007-2009
Instructor/Arranger/Visual
Reed High 1998-1999, 2001-2003, 2007-2008
Instructor/Arranger/Visual
Spanish Springs 2001-2003
Instructor/Arranger/Visual
Mandarins 2006-2007
Instructor – Battery


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rodriguez Winter Show
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:19 pm 
Offline
Veteran
Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:21 am
Posts: 533
Location: Elk Grove, CA
backtobasics05 wrote:
Someone that was there please clarify this for me.


I wish I could explain it....

I really like what Fairfield has so far, but Bethel was cleaner and had a more developed show last Saturday....

It will be VERY interesting how this season plays out


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rodriguez Winter Show
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:55 pm 
Offline
Rookie
Rookie

Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:44 pm
Posts: 140
Steven wrote:
backtobasics05 wrote:
I'm sorry but I would love to hear stevens opinion on how the judges justify fairfield winning...


I'm sorry to disappoint but I don't have an opinion on the subject. I haven't seen either group, live or video. I don't know what shows they are playing, I don't know the musical selection of said shows...

I would love to hear your opinion on why you assume I have an opinion.



Steven sorry for the delay responding to last post about empirical criteria, but I believe I see where you were coming from about the judging at Rodriquez. Correct me if I am off base but you only meant to speak to the possibility that different panels using different score sheets, thus different blocks for scoring, would more than likely come up with different total scores. I would accept this as axiomatic. But wasn't the post you were replying to based on the shows observed? I will grant you your point but what have we shown in relation to the observations, made by two people who saw the shows, and then posted their observations and voiced their confusion with the ranking and rating of this judging panel? Certainly you can see how this misunderstanding of your point might have percipitated their responce. By the way I saw and appreciated both performances.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rodriguez Winter Show
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:16 pm 
Offline
Veteran
Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:21 am
Posts: 533
Location: Elk Grove, CA
full recap can be found here:
http://www.ncbaonline.org/winter_activi ... z_2010.pdf


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rodriguez Winter Show
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:09 am 
Offline
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:22 pm
Posts: 329
bigmikedrivesbmw wrote:



What was the Vallejo Middle DQ for? :shock:

_________________
Calvin D. Carr
Director of Music -Pixley Middle School & Pixley Elementary
http://www.pixley.k12.ca.us


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rodriguez Winter Show
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:28 am 
Offline
Rookie
Rookie

Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:57 am
Posts: 151
gcarrasco wrote:

Steven sorry for the delay responding to last post about empirical criteria, but I believe I see where you were coming from about the judging at Rodriquez. Correct me if I am off base but you only meant to speak to the possibility that different panels using different score sheets, thus different blocks for scoring, would more than likely come up with different total scores. I would accept this as axiomatic. But wasn't the post you were replying to based on the shows observed? I will grant you your point but what have we shown in relation to the observations, made by two people who saw the shows, and then posted their observations and voiced their confusion with the ranking and rating of this judging panel? Certainly you can see how this misunderstanding of your point might have percipitated their responce. By the way I saw and appreciated both performances.



My statement was in response to the statement about "true scores"

The judges are trying to quantify a performance art. You can say there is truth to someone winning a race, but its not as clear cut in this activity. I'm not arguing with anyone's opinion of who was best at that show. Bethel was very impressive in the fall and I'm sure they are now.

Going beyond that I don't think this is necessarily an axiomatic thought process for everyone. To realize the huge difference of a NCBA show VS. the Logan regional took me several years and Im still learning. How often will you have a color guard guy judge you in visual at a NCBA show? You wont because there isn't a visual judge. Adding that one variable could affect the scores, even more than nine tenths of a point. How about the judges vantage point? High box vs low box is often overlooked indoors. Some of the drill we got big credit for last year in NCBA with Fairfield, did not come across well in a larger gym from a high box.

Quote:
I will grant you your point but what have we shown in relation to the observations, made by two people who saw the shows, and then posted their observations and voiced their confusion with the ranking and rating of this judging panel?


I'm not sure there is a question here so I don't know how to respond. There were two other people who saw both shows and voiced their opinions on the matter. The judges. Next time it probably wont be the same two judges so its all good. Just keep drumming and getting better because its only high school marching band, not heart surgery.

_________________
Fairfield High 2007-2009
Instructor/Arranger/Visual
Reed High 1998-1999, 2001-2003, 2007-2008
Instructor/Arranger/Visual
Spanish Springs 2001-2003
Instructor/Arranger/Visual
Mandarins 2006-2007
Instructor – Battery


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rodriguez Winter Show
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:00 am 
Offline
Rookie
Rookie

Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:44 pm
Posts: 140
pittech wrote:
bigmikedrivesbmw wrote:



What was the Vallejo Middle DQ for? :shock:


You might want to check with Merlin at Vallejo Middle. I'm sure he would chat with you about any question you might have. He's a good guy!


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rodriguez Winter Show
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:37 am
Posts: 9
Hey, did anyone see the tabulations? How come Armijo High (adv) got the highest musical effect score? Are they sandbagging? I saw their show and it's pretty sick. Peeps should check it out this coming saturday if you can. I understand that POP is the same day, but if you could swing by AHS after Open division performs, I'm telling ya, it's way worth it. They didn't move last review...standstill and just barely made time. But their beats are mad. I just don't understand how they could have slammed the sheets. i don't think people pay enough attention to the lower division. We miss a lot of interesting music. Curious to see what their theme is. Should be an interesting year for them. Especially since they've kinda been MIA for the past few years.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rodriguez Winter Show
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:02 pm
Posts: 7
^graff wrote:
Hey, did anyone see the tabulations? How come Armijo High (adv) got the highest musical effect score? Are they sandbagging? I saw their show and it's pretty sick. Peeps should check it out this coming saturday if you can. I understand that POP is the same day, but if you could swing by AHS after Open division performs, I'm telling ya, it's way worth it. They didn't move last review...standstill and just barely made time. But their beats are mad. I just don't understand how they could have slammed the sheets. i don't think people pay enough attention to the lower division. We miss a lot of interesting music. Curious to see what their theme is. Should be an interesting year for them. Especially since they've kinda been MIA for the past few years.



That is a fact!!! :shock: The tenors are off the hook!!! :shock: I can't wait to see what they do saturday! I saw them last year they were really good too! I hoped they get moved up. Also looking forward to seeing Fairfield too. Their show looks so amazing. And omg! Rod!! I serioulsy don't know who will win open but it's going to be a fight!


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rodriguez Winter Show
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:30 am
Posts: 5
Location: AHS
Aren't you all in for a treat, then :) come by and check us out! It's new that we're talked about on these forums. It's neat!

_________________
Through Hell and high waters, the underdog will perservere.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rodriguez Winter Show
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:37 am
Posts: 9
I can't wait to see your guys' show this weekend! Y'all better not disappoint!


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rodriguez Winter Show
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:07 pm 
Offline
New Recruit
New Recruit
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:55 pm
Posts: 56
Location: NorCal
im sure they wont! :D
all fairfield high schools are talented as far as drumlines go.
all three won champs in their division last year.
cant wait til saturday, its going to be great. :!:


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
  http://www.worldofpageantry.com Copyright © 1996 - 2006 Email:  admin@worldofpageantry.com  

Site design and maintenance by Dave Schaafsma at Dave's Web Dynamics