Winter Percussion Question

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

TBDecker
New Recruit
New Recruit

Winter Percussion Question

Post by TBDecker » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:44 am

Do you put your best players on the best parts, or do you set up your line for the next year? We just finished our tryouts and my senior section leaders came to me and asked to play in the pit, and not the battery because they wanted to give the students who will be back next year a chance to gain experience.

I am torn between putting by best/strongest players in the battery for winter line, and setting my line up for more success next year.
Timothy Decker
Director of Music
Rancho Cotate High School

SkyDog
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: Winter Percussion Question

Post by SkyDog » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:42 pm

While next year is always in the back of my mind, I definitely lean toward placing students where they'll provide the biggest benefit to the ensemble this year. Doing so sets the bar high for the other students in the ensemble or section. Make 'em spend the season trying to keep up with your best players and they'll become better players themselves.

teacherken
Veteran
Veteran

Post by teacherken » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:32 pm

[quote="TBDecker"]Do you put your best players on the best parts, or do you set up your line for the next year? We just finished our tryouts and my senior section leaders came to me and asked to play in the pit, and not the battery because they wanted to give the students who will be back next year a chance to gain experience.

I am torn between putting by best/strongest players in the battery for winter line, and setting my line up for more success next year.[/quote]

It really depends on your teaching philosophy. Some programs use the spring as training for the fall. Others do the opposite, with fall as the basis for a strong spring program. Others view each as individual entities, without an obligation toward the following season. For my program, we look at each season individually, but do keep the future in mind. We want the strongest, most educationally sound ensemble in place now, but if we can help ourselves for the future, it's a win-win. For example, if we have senior and a freshman try out for tenors and they have equal auditions, the freshman MAY get the edge as we consider future years.

Ken Hoffman
El Camino Real

tcblancer
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by tcblancer » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:02 am

Or.... he may not!
:nenr:
Lance Delgado
http://www.LanceDelgadoMusic.com
Indoor Percussion Shows and Integrated Warm Ups