Foothill Recap

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

User avatar
bigmikedrivesbmw
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 533
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:21 am
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Contact:

Re: Foothill Recap

Post by bigmikedrivesbmw » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:32 am

a 96??? wow, congrats GB!

lostchops
New Recruit
New Recruit
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:28 pm
Location: San Francisco, Ca

Re: Foothill Recap

Post by lostchops » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:02 pm

I can't wait to see Granite Bay this year. I think when people talk about percussion scores, they really should mention whether or not they're talking about field or street. Personally I'm a field guy since I think it takes much more skill/ability to create/play/clean 10 mins of music/drill on a field compared to 2 mins on a street.

bighud1
New Recruit
New Recruit
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:52 am

Re: Foothill Recap

Post by bighud1 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:25 pm

lostchops wrote:I can't wait to see Granite Bay this year. I think when people talk about percussion scores, they really should mention whether or not they're talking about field or street. Personally I'm a field guy since I think it takes much more skill/ability to create/play/clean 10 mins of music/drill on a field compared to 2 mins on a street.
Uh oh :shock: That's not going to go over to well here. Believe me, I know.

Georgie
New Recruit
New Recruit
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:06 pm

Re: Foothill Recap

Post by Georgie » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:20 pm

Field show is so much more demanding percussion wise than street if you just think of this factor alone - - in street, you have no horns to coordinate musically with; on the field, you have to coordinate and align musically with the horn line and with time delays and distance, this is way more demanding than any street "routine".
To those who will say and defend the difficulty of street ... I will agree that a lot of the top groups have difficult music books, but the top field groups have just as difficult books and a much higher level of demand due to the drill and the reasons listed above ... you just cannot deny the facts.
By the way ... still wondering who the Foothill percussion judge was ... Allen was doing WBA that day.

bighud1
New Recruit
New Recruit
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:52 am

Re: Foothill Recap

Post by bighud1 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:58 pm

It was Mark Calvo. He marched in the Freelancer Tenor line from 1987-1990 and was the band director for Del Oro for a few years. He's a real good guy.

gbaydrummer
New Recruit
New Recruit
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:55 pm

Re: Foothill Recap

Post by gbaydrummer » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:01 pm

Thanks for all the kind words regarding Granite Bay. We are having one of our best years ever! Looking forward to competing on the street next year however, instead of just playing an excerpt of our show and marching forward. Also, has anyone seen Atwater this year? Are they MIA or am I looking in the wrong place? Thanks

beatboy
New Recruit
New Recruit
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:09 pm
Location: Fairfield, CA

Re: Foothill Recap

Post by beatboy » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:19 pm

gbaydrummer wrote:Thanks for all the kind words regarding Granite Bay. We are having one of our best years ever! Looking forward to competing on the street next year however, instead of just playing an excerpt of our show and marching forward. Also, has anyone seen Atwater this year? Are they MIA or am I looking in the wrong place? Thanks

Atwater was at santa cruz. I cant remember what they placed but i think it was either 4th or 5th. And in response to other posts i dont think there should even be a comparison between street and field. They are two completely different competitions that both take skill and hard work to pull off. To say one is harder or better than the other is a little close minded.

gbaydrummer
New Recruit
New Recruit
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:55 pm

Re: Foothill Recap

Post by gbaydrummer » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:24 pm

Agreed. Apples and Oranges. It's all about drumming anyway,no matter what you are doing. It's all about the CLEAN.

lostchops
New Recruit
New Recruit
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:28 pm
Location: San Francisco, Ca

Re: Foothill Recap

Post by lostchops » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:19 pm

beatboy wrote: And in response to other posts i dont think there should even be a comparison between street and field. They are two completely different competitions that both take skill and hard work to pull off. To say one is harder or better than the other is a little close minded.
I'm not being closed minded, I'm just looking at the facts... It's true that it's like comparing apples to oranges because they are two different things; they both take skill and hard work... HOWEVER, I still believe that it takes much more effort/skill/ability to create/play/clean 10 mins of music/drill, rather than 2 mins of music/drill on a street.

User avatar
Slaphappy7
New Recruit
New Recruit
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:12 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA
Contact:

Re: Foothill Recap

Post by Slaphappy7 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:24 pm

GB seems to be making some serious waves! I wonder how they would fair in WBA?
Image

Follow us on twitter and friend us on Facebook!

http://twitter.com/SFRenegades

http://www.facebook.com/SanFranciscoRenegades

Psalm 56
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 660
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:00 am

Re: Foothill Recap

Post by Psalm 56 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:22 pm

Slaphappy7 wrote:GB seems to be making some serious waves! I wonder how they would fair in WBA?
According to their website and peoples, they will be at the James Logan show...so that would be "the" opportunity for you to see how they would fair in WBA? According the results from last year's WBA Logan show...they were pretty solid.

Goooooo Grizzlies. Very happy for them.

User avatar
Slaphappy7
New Recruit
New Recruit
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:12 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA
Contact:

Re: Foothill Recap

Post by Slaphappy7 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:18 pm

Psalm 56 wrote:
Slaphappy7 wrote:GB seems to be making some serious waves! I wonder how they would fair in WBA?
According to their website and peoples, they will be at the James Logan show...so that would be "the" opportunity for you to see how they would fair in WBA? According the results from last year's WBA Logan show...they were pretty solid.

Goooooo Grizzlies. Very happy for them.

Just looked at the lineup for 4A and man it'll be a barn burner!

Granite Bay Emerald Brigade
Oak Grove High School Marching Band & guard
Leigh High School Band
Evergreen Valley
Clovis HS
Lynbrook HS

If they can get past Lunbrook and Clovis they can take it! :bow:
Image

Follow us on twitter and friend us on Facebook!

http://twitter.com/SFRenegades

http://www.facebook.com/SanFranciscoRenegades

User avatar
Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff
Posts: 7951
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 6:46 am
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Contact:

Re: Foothill Recap

Post by Hostrauser » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:23 pm

Granite Bay's website has their performance from Foothill online to watch and listen to...

http://www.gbemeraldbrigade.org/2009-sh ... thill-show

Post Reply