Favorite most underrated winter shows

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

Slaphappy7
New Recruit
New Recruit

Favorite most underrated winter shows

Post by Slaphappy7 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:37 am

So what winter shows do you think just don’t get enough credit and why?

MCM – Heroes show (I think they should have taken Amachi last year. Period.)
Springstowne – Destiny of Choice (WGI Finals worthy show IMO. Shafted @ premils... It’s going to be hard for any MS to get back to that level)
Freelancers – Ki (That opener was SICK)
Jesse Bethel – Maturity (Clean Crowd favorite ≠ high GE? Hmmmm….)
Atwater 2008 (sorry I don’t know the name) (LOTS o’ notes and CLEAN)
Last edited by Slaphappy7 on Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Follow us on twitter and friend us on Facebook!

http://twitter.com/SFRenegades

http://www.facebook.com/SanFranciscoRenegades

VisTech902

Re: Favorite most underrated winter shows

Post by VisTech902 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:41 am

MCM-
because everyone was on the Aimachi hype. they even had a booth at the expo!

Springstowne-
two words... MIDDLE SCHOOL. no matter how good they were, they were MIDDLE SCHOOL. in my honest opinion, they shouldve won CCGC.

Freelancers-
they were decent.. i think they deserved higher than 7th, but not to rag, that snareline vs. the 2007 snareline?? c'mon now.. you cant go from casey brohard, anthony porter, matt lowe and company to the dirt in the 08 line.

Jesse Bethel-
i agree but, i think monitary value played a big roll. Jesse Bethel didnt have the front ensemble or front ensemble amplifacation to compete against fairfield or benicia. their front ensembles ALONE produced a MONSTEROUS sound.

Atwater-
...lots of notes, correct. not enough GE compared to likes of Golden Valley and Rodriguez.

Slaphappy7
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Slaphappy7 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:51 am

VisTech902 wrote:MCM-
because everyone was on the Aimachi hype. they even had a booth at the expo!

Springstowne-
two words... MIDDLE SCHOOL. no matter how good they were, they were MIDDLE SCHOOL. in my honest opinion, they shouldve won CCGC.

Freelancers-
they were decent.. i think they deserved higher than 7th, but not to rag, that snareline vs. the 2007 snareline?? c'mon now.. you cant go from casey brohard, anthony porter, matt lowe and company to the dirt in the 08 line.

Jesse Bethel-
i agree but, i think monitary value played a big roll. Jesse Bethel didnt have the front ensemble or front ensemble amplifacation to compete against fairfield or benicia. their front ensembles ALONE produced a MONSTEROUS sound.

Atwater-
...lots of notes, correct. not enough GE compared to likes of Golden Valley and Rodriguez.

RE: Springstowne
IMO - that's why they didn't win CCGC. Having a middle school take your curcits title (though well deserved) would have taken ALOT of explaining to do. And yes I know Ida Price has won concert like what 4 years in a row now including beating out high schools this year. But Concert vs. Marching = Apples vs. Oranges

Follow us on twitter and friend us on Facebook!

http://twitter.com/SFRenegades

http://www.facebook.com/SanFranciscoRenegades

Steven
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Steven » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:09 pm

Slaphappy7 wrote: Jesse Bethel – Maturity (Clean Crowd favorite ≠ high GE? Hmmmm….)
They must have got ticked on their acting. I know my quad line did :roll:

Though I'm not sure money can be blamed for Bethels lack of success at finals. When you have that much equipment/staff and the largest drumline in NCBA you don't get to call the money card anymore.

(Quick edit, just to be clear Im not hatin on Bethel and i do think they were undervalued in the GE caption.)
Fairfield High 2007-2009
Instructor/Arranger/Visual
Reed High 1998-1999, 2001-2003, 2007-2008
Spanish Springs 2001-2003
Mandarins 2006-2007
Instructor – Battery

pittech
Veteran
Veteran

Post by pittech » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:56 pm

Steven wrote:
Slaphappy7 wrote: Jesse Bethel – Maturity (Clean Crowd favorite ≠ high GE? Hmmmm….)
They must have got ticked on their acting. I know my quad line did :roll:

Though I'm not sure money can be blamed for Bethels lack of success at finals. When you have that much equipment/staff and the largest drumline in NCBA you don't get to call the money card anymore.

(Quick edit, just to be clear Im not hatin on Bethel and i do think they were undervalued in the GE caption.)

Heya Steve,

Gotta say yes and no on the $$$ comment. I do believe we had the largest battery and staff in NCBA. I do think we had an average or below average size front ensemble in comparison with the other open lines. And a little known fun fact about Bethel, 90% of the equipment they used for shows was not theirs. We usually didn’t 2 of the marimbas and 2 of the vibes until 2-3 hours before the show at best. That made setting up and adjusting electronics a PITA (and we had quite a few electronic issues this year). Plus try as we might we could not come close to producing the beast of the sound your front ensemble puts out (a testament to you, Vince, et all) The only HS around that comes close to that was Logan IMO. Hopefully we can change that and get some really up to par equipment or endorsement for next season.

Not making excuses about finals. It is what it is and the guys in green polos (or nice shirt and tie as it were) have the last word. Though you and I are on the same page in terms of the GE scores. Quite a few of the school’s scores made me go “huh?”

PS - loved the show. I bought a DVD of you guys when I got ours.
pps - Fairfield is already NCBA and WGI will we be seeing you in CCGC anytime soon?
Last edited by pittech on Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Calvin D. Carr
Director of Music -Pixley Middle School & Pixley Elementary
http://www.pixley.k12.ca.us

Steven
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Steven » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:26 pm

You got a DVD of our show huh? That sucks since we didnt turn in our form in hopes that they wouldn't sell our DVD>.>

Ill go ahead and say you know what your talking about way more than I do with the situation. Its always impressive when a line overcomes money challenges and if you guys are going to the point of borrowing equipment (we were too, albeit not to that extent) then more power to you.

We looked at doing ccgc this year, It came down to scheduling and money. We didnt even make it to So Cal this year, hopefully next year NCBA chaps wont be on the same weekend as SCPA finals because I would love to see some nor cal lines make it down for that. If you are from out of town there is no minimum amount of shows required to do finals.

Maybe if the kids really turn up the heat as far as practice goes next year we can justify making those trips^.-
Fairfield High 2007-2009
Mandarins 2006-2007
Instructor – Battery

Steven
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Steven » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:38 pm

pittech wrote:(or nice shirt and tie as it were)
Its all about the tie.
Fairfield High 2007-2009
Mandarins 2006-2007
Instructor – Battery

pittech
Veteran
Veteran

Post by pittech » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:43 pm

Steven wrote:You got a DVD of our show huh? That sucks since we didnt turn in our form in hopes that they wouldn't sell our DVD>.>

Ill go ahead and say you know what your talking about way more than I do with the situation. Its always impressive when a line overcomes money challenges and if you guys are going to the point of borrowing equipment (we were too, albeit not to that extent) then more power to you.

We looked at doing ccgc this year, It came down to scheduling and money. We didnt even make it to So Cal this year, hopefully next year NCBA chaps wont be on the same weekend as SCPA finals because I would love to see some nor cal lines make it down for that. If you are from out of town there is no minimum amount of shows required to do finals.

Maybe if the kids really turn up the heat as far as practice goes next year we can justify making those trips^.-

Thanks man. Yup. You guys are included on the Open division lines. Hope that dosen't cause Copyright issues for you guys.

RE: SCPA that's good to know I'll be sure to pass that along. You guys should do CCGC you'd love some of the gyms and there's some now faces there to.
Calvin D. Carr

pittech
Veteran
Veteran

Post by pittech » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:52 pm

Steven wrote:We didnt even make it to So Cal this year, hopefully next year NCBA chaps wont be on the same weekend as SCPA finals because I would love to see some nor cal lines make it down for that. If you are from out of town there is no minimum amount of shows required to do finals.

I hope to see the day when there are @ least 2-3 NCBA lines going to Dayton for PSA, PSO or PSW

Can we say Nor Cal connection? :yeah:
Calvin D. Carr

Flamit
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Flamit » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:57 pm

The name of our show was “The Planets”.

Thanks for the compliment, as bitter sweet as it may be. Ha, ha, ha, but I wouldn’t say our show was totally underrated. We missed Champs buy .25 of a point and A LOT of people liked our book. (Which my little brother wrote by the way.) I’ll just say what I said to everyone else. “We try.”

I would say that our show last year was underrated. That book was just like this years. Lots of clean beats, but totally overlooked because our Show design really sucked. That was entirely my fault. Ha, ha, ha. I’m old school. I came from days when it was all about the hands and notes. We would just stand and play. Ha, ha, ha and that was just the early nineties, but like everything else it’s evolved into something better and is as much of a sport as it is about the music. This year from the help of new staff and some other instructors out there (You know who you are) we really went with a theme and worked a little more on show concept. For me it was like throwing a cat in the water. Ha, ha, ha, but I got over it. I think me and my staff learned a lot this year. Thanks judges. So as always….next year expect more hard, fast notes with a hint of balance and theme thrown in there. Ha, ha, ha.
:sarg:
Atwater Drum Staff