What about the other classes?!?!

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

sn00zeFest

What about the other classes?!?!

Post by sn00zeFest » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:31 am

So everyone is talking about Open class this, open class that! WHAT ABOUT ADVANCE AND SCHOLASTIC GROUPS?

uci_guy
Section Leader
Section Leader

Re: What about the other classes?!?!

Post by uci_guy » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:09 am

everyones talking about ncba, but what about WGI!?

if you want to facilitate a discussion, you must start it first.
drummer

Powerhouse08
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Powerhouse08 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:40 am

i think everyone only talks about open cause they assume all the "good, better, best, groups" are in that division....which isnt always the case (dont get me wrong, im not bashing the open groups.....they always bring it to a high level which is why they're there....duh). I guess you could compare it to Drum Corps. Open corps (Div. II) are good ya know...they play good beats, work just as hard and stuff, but lets be honest, everyones main focus is ALWAYS on the big guys.....the World Corps (Div. I). Its pretty sad AND true that the lower divisions are almost ALWAYS overlooked....and its funny cause some of those groups in the lower divisions are sometimes pretty dang close to the higher groups. Just my thoughts. Open groups are VERY good this year though (NCBA). but i can see why someone would ask "what about the other classes?" seeing as how i teach a group in Scholastic....
Atwater High School 04-09
music arranger/visual design/snare tech
Merced High School 09-12
music arranger/visual design/Percussion Caption Head
Golden Valley High School 12-?
music arranger/visual design/Percussion Caption Head

rosski47
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by rosski47 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:53 am

Hey just be glad everyone is talking about ncba.
There is NO discussion on WGI or SJVCGPR, the two circuits I'm competing in.
And I've actually made an attempt to start discussions. ha
-Ross-
Alto Sax Player
Clovis High '09
Indiana University '13

pghs_instructor
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by pghs_instructor » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:25 pm

and lets not forget about Novice! :D
JT
Pleasant Grove H.S. 2007-2012 - Percussion Caption Head
Elk Grove High School 2004-2007 - Bass/Percussion Tech

Steven
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Steven » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:34 am

Its the same problem with standing groups. While novice groups are going on the advanced groups are warming up. While the Advanced groups are going on the scholastic lines are getting ready. Who's gonna write the reviews if no one can see the shows?

Powerhouse is right on too. If they added a world class people would start talking about that. I like uci_guy's idea of starting the conversation...

Scholastic-I love elk groves music package (I can see the mako reactor now). Rodriguez mallet line :bow: , best writing/playing in any division as far as the pit is concerned. A lot of the GE is very RCCish but I wouldn't necessarily call it a ripoff. Both these lines would do fine in Open. Atwater has a smoking 4 member high battery but sometimes I don't get a clear seniority of voice. I haven't seen many other lines.

Advanced- Armijo is a big step up from last year, still have the players but a better overall design ala MCM 04'. I think bumping up west campus (gogo scissor drum and bass) and Franklin was a good call, they will do fine in this division.

Las/Plumas/Oroville get big creativity points from me, they didnt follow many of the design rules and came up with something new using an old concept, also they played in time the whole show, a nice surprise at a high school drumline show.... hurray run on sentence.

Novice- You guys have the hardest time standing out. Only so many people can play big fish in a small pond before it just becomes a big pond, with a bunch of different sized fish. I vaguely remember liking concord, union mine, pleasant grove, franklin and west campus (before the last two got bumped). I'm sure I have only seen about half the novice shows this year though.

Middle schools - Springstown great job with the design, playing, and balance. More dynamics please. Benicia great job with the music and stylistically correct writing. Work on balance and dynamics. Vallejo cool costume and floor, good playing, lets get clean from section to section. Solano good music across all segments, more dynamics and phrasing. I also remember you guys doing some cool lower body work, always a bit more fun than marching from point A to B. Ingrid B Lacey M.S. has the coolest costumes in NCBA. Just need to work on playing together.

Best of luck to everyone in these last few weeks!
Fairfield High 2007-2009
Instructor/Arranger/Visual
Reed High 1998-1999, 2001-2003, 2007-2008
Spanish Springs 2001-2003
Mandarins 2006-2007
Instructor – Battery

wholelottasaywhat?
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by wholelottasaywhat? » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:14 am

I think Steven makes a great point. A lot of the folks writing reviews are in other lines. Hard to write reviews when you are warming up or performing yourself.

To those of you who just don't bother watching the "lower" classes because you think it is a waste of time, be advised that there are some great shows in Novice and Advanced this year! I've been to a couple shows this year and watched all of the classes. Truly impressive overall.