Adla Reviews

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

LaurieA
New Recruit
New Recruit

Adla Reviews

Post by LaurieA » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:29 am

I don't see much about ADLA this season, although I know it's just begun. We haven't had our first show but I'm wondering why there isn't more discussion yet? How was Roosevelt this weekend?

Icarus
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: Adla Reviews

Post by Icarus » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:31 pm

My students and I had a lot of fun at the Roosevelt comp. We competed in Scholastic C and were only able to see a few C and B groups before we left for the day. Congratulations to all the performers and I look forward to seeing everyone at AB Miller this Saturday!
Carpe Diem

Summit HS -Instructor

LaurieA
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by LaurieA » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:16 pm

Yesterday was our first show of the season and it was a great day! The evening went a little long and we were very late getting home but there were some very good shows!
I mainly got there in time to see several of the Open division performances. West Covina was excellent and congrats on being promoted to World!
It was fun to see the personality of the kids while waiting for awards to start but the mom in me was terrified someone would get hurt! Please be careful!

tokyo512
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by tokyo512 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:45 pm

LaurieA wrote:Yesterday was our first show of the season and it was a great day! The evening went a little long and we were very late getting home but there were some very good shows!
I mainly got there in time to see several of the Open division performances. West Covina was excellent and congrats on being promoted to World!
It was fun to see the personality of the kids while waiting for awards to start but the mom in me was terrified someone would get hurt! Please be careful!
I know what you mean, red rover was a kick-but game [i didn't play though, but kudos to the girls who actually got detached].
Kenneth Alcazar
Marching Don
Drum Major

BDinkel
Veteran
Veteran

Post by BDinkel » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:10 pm

tokyo512 wrote: I know what you mean, red rover was a kick-but game [i didn't play though, but kudos to the girls who actually got detached].

Seriously?!? Red rover during awards? I see little has changed at ADLA...

press.enter
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by press.enter » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:08 am

interesting...
... and boom.

tSz42

Post by tSz42 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:13 am

BDinkel wrote: Seriously?!? Red rover during awards? I see little has changed at ADLA...
nope, still all those kids having a blast together... 27 years and counting!

press.enter
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by press.enter » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:24 pm

I just wish scores didn't take as long as they're taking to be posted online.
... and boom.

tSz42

Post by tSz42 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:02 pm

press.enter wrote:I just wish scores didn't take as long as they're taking to be posted online.
from what I heard they are trying to fix that this year. They're still trying out some new technology to make gathering the scores from judges easier and faster and also some new ways for comments to include video + audio.

tokyo512
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by tokyo512 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:06 pm

tSz42 wrote:
press.enter wrote:I just wish scores didn't take as long as they're taking to be posted online.
from what I heard they are trying to fix that this year. They're still trying out some new technology to make gathering the scores from judges easier and faster and also some new ways for comments to include video + audio.
Seriously, I'm dying to find out why my school did so poorly. Well, not why, just how many points we lost for having a less than 3 minute show o.o
Kenneth Alcazar
Marching Don
Drum Major

BD94Euph
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by BD94Euph » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:11 am

If someone could tell me why ADLA does their whole critique thing while the audience is sitting on their hands for over an hour? It's not like there's going to be any changing of scores. Why don't awards begin immediately after the final group (ok- 15 minutes after for final computing).

I told my kids we'll not be staying for anymore ADLA awards ceremonies. It just takes too long and it's ridiculous.

Now for the judging, I see a major improvement in comments on MOST tapes. Way to go on that front! Now speed up the awards process, keep the kids and families in mind on those LONNNNNNGGGG days, and you might have something!

BDinkel
Veteran
Veteran

Post by BDinkel » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:25 am

BD94Euph wrote:If someone could tell me why ADLA does their whole critique thing while the audience is sitting on their hands for over an hour? It's not like there's going to be any changing of scores. Why don't awards begin immediately after the final group (ok- 15 minutes after for final computing).

I told my kids we'll not be staying for anymore ADLA awards ceremonies. It just takes too long and it's ridiculous.

This is crazy talk! Are you going to deny these kids and their captive audience 1 hour of fun every weekend?! What other opportunity have they had since 3rd grade to play red rover, let alone in a gym with 1000 other people watching!

BD94Euph
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by BD94Euph » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:42 am

hahaha...my GOD! it started with the host (after about 20 minutes) saying "Here's some mood music". Gloria Estefan, drumline kids breakdancing, instructors dancing, and NO people, not because it was a planned fun-time moment. But because otherwise, people would be seriously staring at each other for over an hour. I wish this could be changed. it's the only negative to an otherwise good experience for our kids.

Jsaxm
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Jsaxm » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:32 pm

BDinkel wrote:
BD94Euph wrote:If someone could tell me why ADLA does their whole critique thing while the audience is sitting on their hands for over an hour? It's not like there's going to be any changing of scores. Why don't awards begin immediately after the final group (ok- 15 minutes after for final computing).

This is crazy talk! Are you going to deny these kids and their captive audience 1 hour of fun every weekend?! What other opportunity have they had since 3rd grade to play red rover, let alone in a gym with 1000 other people watching!

Ok, I having a hard time telling on this one. Are you being serious or not, haha?
You just can't encourage stupidity

BD94Euph
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by BD94Euph » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:32 pm

I HOPE HE WS KIDDING!!! I'm sure he was. Nobody wants what i saw Saturday night. NOBODY! Not even Gloria Estefan herself.