NCBA Open Percussion

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

Who do you think will win the competition?

Benicia
38%
Del Oro
No votes
Fairfield
21%
Foothill-Pleasanton
2%
Jesse Bethel
28%
McClatchy
4%
Vallejo
8%

Total votes: 53

Steven
Rookie
Rookie

Re: NCBA Open Percussion

Post by Steven » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:48 pm

Slaphappy7 wrote:It looks like as of right now (last show) the only people Jesse Bethel needs to worry about beating is… Jesse Bethel.
Fairfields score at the fairfield show: 0

Results of the morning show that same day.

http://www.ncbaonline.org/winter_activi ... ussion.pdf

Vallejo: 90.95
Fairfield: 90.85
Bethel (before 3 point penalty): 90.15
Fairfield High 2007-2009
Instructor/Arranger/Visual
Reed High 1998-1999, 2001-2003, 2007-2008
Spanish Springs 2001-2003
Mandarins 2006-2007
Instructor – Battery

Squirtle
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Squirtle » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:54 pm

Slaphappy7 wrote:Side note: there’s two other shows this weekend: WGI Union City and CCGC Independence. Are any of the NCBA big boys representing at either?
Fairfield will be at WGI Union City

sn00zeFest

Post by sn00zeFest » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:31 pm

Slaphappy7 wrote:Jesse Bethel = A cross of The Blue Devils and Phantom Regiment. Notes are there, GE is there, Performance aspect is THERE! *cough*Spartacus*cough* Don’t get lazy or you’ll get passed up.
More like devils, Sprint of JSU cymbal ensemble, and RCC. haha

Not a bad show however! Biggest thing that I think will help them: DYNAMICS! Most of the show is just loud, then louder. Bringing the heights down "should" clean up the beats too. Other than that, real entertaining.

Powerhouse08
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Powerhouse08 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:37 pm

(In response to Slaphappy7)
Atwater has only had one show so far, in which we actually got a higher score than one of the groups in open. (not bragging, merely stating) so theres a slight chance we might get bumped into open but that is still up in the air. As for "bein in the mix," i think we can hang with the open lines.....thats my opinion though......check it out for yourself....thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyh3EFSouys
Atwater High School 04-09
music arranger/visual design/snare tech
Merced High School 09-12
music arranger/visual design/Percussion Caption Head
Golden Valley High School 12-?
music arranger/visual design/Percussion Caption Head

CleanBeatsNow

Post by CleanBeatsNow » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:37 pm

Atwater should be moved up....though I think this was a topic before, but scores are uncomparible from division to division...theyre on different levels...ANYWAYS

Fairfield- very mature line as always...mature mallet line, mature show...of course room to clean

Benicia- super clean beats, well composed show..of course the snares are hot crap, love hearin benicia snare-line.

Jesse Bethel- i think the show is too rammed, and the beats are unclear..every section can be cleaner..

vallejo- love the show, some of the drill is a little crammed, and the snares need alot of work, again early in the season though..

Steven
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Steven » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:49 pm

CleanBeatsNow wrote:scores are uncomparible from division to division...theyre on different levels...ANYWAYS
In WGI you cant compare numbers cross division.

With NCBA the numbers actually are equal across high school marching divisions. (In theory at least) Middle school numbers are not comparable to high school numbers. A 85 in scholastic is the same as a 85 in open. (Again, in theory, there are other factors that might influence this)
Fairfield High 2007-2009
Mandarins 2006-2007
Instructor – Battery

CleanBeatsNow

Post by CleanBeatsNow » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:53 pm

Steven wrote:
CleanBeatsNow wrote:scores are uncomparible from division to division...theyre on different levels...ANYWAYS
In WGI you cant compare numbers cross division.

With NCBA the numbers actually are equal across high school marching divisions. (In theory at least) Middle school numbers are not comparable to high school numbers. A 85 in scholastic is the same as a 85 in open. (Again, in theory, there are other factors that might influence this)

true i think the previous discussion was the middle school to high school comparison...

backtobasics05
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by backtobasics05 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:09 am

Personally I think that Benicia could have a better chance if they added more demand in the bass and tenor books. With that being said though their snares are playing good amount of notes and are relatively clean.

Fairfield's drill is pretty damn good and is in fact some of the best drill that I've seen in NCBA in quite a long time. Other than that though I don't think that there's much else that makes their show stand out.

Jesse Bethel's music is pretty meaty and from what I heard at the Fairfield show it's actually pretty clean. I guess that's why before penalties they beat everyone else by 1.6. (Not including of course Fairfield because they were in exhibition mind you) With that though I think that these 3 schools in any order will be the top 3 in the open division.

I do however believe personally that Fairfield will be in 3rd by the end only because they just don't have enough material being played in the battery other than that of the basses. Benicia has the same issue though because the best thing in the battery is the snares and the tenors and basses honestly don't play much. Bethel I think really does have a great chance to take the music caption since their battery across the board plays a lot of notes and there pretty clean at this stage in the season. but their drill is holding them back. It is very repetitive and lacks difficulty, but then again they did still when the GE caption at Fairfield though there show consisted of them standing still for the final large portion of it, but I honestly think that Fairfield may have beat them there if they had been scored. Oh and I did forget to mention that Bethel does need to bring that battery down in some sections of the show. The dynamics are in the show, but the overall balance just isn't their alot of the time in the music. That would help give the battery that extra push towards being spit shine clean and possibly winning it all. All in all it's going to be a very good race to the finish this season.

If I had to pick a winner I'd say it would have to be the school that wins CCGC championships (either Bethel or Benicia) the week before NCBA championships. It just seems like they would probably carry the most momentum into the next weekend to take it. So there you have it, some school is gonna walk away with two championships this year possibly.

Georgie
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Georgie » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:34 pm

[i][b]"If I had to pick a winner I'd say it would have to be the school that wins CCGC championships (either Bethel or Benicia) the week before NCBA championships. It just seems like they would probably carry the most momentum into the next weekend to take it. So there you have it, some school is gonna walk away with two championships this year possibly."[/b][/i]

Word on the street [or in the gym, in this case] is that Benicia will not be at CCGC finals. Good idea in theory, but only Bethel will be at both CCGC and NCBA finals.

Flamit
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Flamit » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:35 pm

Is Benicia going to the NCBA Championship this year?

Che!
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Che! » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:48 pm

Flamit wrote:Is Benicia going to the NCBA Championship this year?
I heard they were. I know before they never went because their prom was usually on the same day. I'm pretty sure they are though. Can someone confirm that?

Steven
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Steven » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:21 am

Yeppers
Fairfield High 2007-2009
Mandarins 2006-2007
Instructor – Battery

bigmikedrivesbmw
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bigmikedrivesbmw » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:09 am

Steven wrote:
Yeppers
awesome

backtobasics05
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by backtobasics05 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:22 am

Well that does suck that Benicia isn't going to CCGC champs. But at the same time I do think that the morale level of Bethel after that week if they do win could still catapult them to a level good enough to win champs. These are high schoolers and morale and things like that do effect their performances heavily. Either way NCBA champs is gonna be a good show. Everyone go to stockton and check it out this year. i think it's a good idea...
Looking forward to seein some lines turn it up this year...

Steven
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Steven » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:43 pm

backtobasics05 wrote: But at the same time I do think that the morale level of Bethel after that week if they do win could still catapult them to a level good enough to win champs.
I'm pretty sure they are the only Open line at CCGC champs.
Fairfield High 2007-2009
Mandarins 2006-2007
Instructor – Battery