Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

crickett
Veteran
Veteran

First show

Post by crickett » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:26 pm

Hey there!

In two weeks I am taking my drumline out for our first winter show ever. For them and for me. I didn't do drumline as a student and now I am teaching one! We have also never had one at this school. Ack! It has been a ton of fun teaching them so far. We are coming along with the drill and the music. There is still a lot to do but it's getting there. We are competing in NCBA novice class. I have an instructor/assistant who is an alumni to help me. He knows as much as I do. I have been studying by watching youtube videos, reading the forums, DCI education stuff, and I have been going to watch shows for years.

So, here is my questions: What advice and or tips can you give me for me and my students. What kind of things do you do on show days to get them ready? Any and all advice is welcome.

Steven
Rookie
Rookie

Re: First show

Post by Steven » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:37 pm

Do you have a floor? Make sure you practice set up/tear down time so you don't get a timing penalty.

Tell your kids to have fun when they perform, tell them to make eye contact with the audience/judges.
Fairfield High 2007-2009
Instructor/Arranger/Visual
Reed High 1998-1999, 2001-2003, 2007-2008
Spanish Springs 2001-2003
Mandarins 2006-2007
Instructor – Battery

tSz42

Post by tSz42 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:00 pm

crickett,

coming from someone who also didn't have a lot of experience going into their first show a few years back, I think you're on the right track with educating yourself. So keep doing that. Watch the videos on youTube, watch other groups, and talk to the other instructors. Be passionate about what you do and it will transfer to your students.

As Steven already stated, practice the setup and tear down of your show. Find out where you are entering the gym and leaving, this can sometimes help with your setup.

As for show days: aside from the standard warmups and running through the show, I would sometimes take the kids' mind off of the show and joke around or talk about things other than the show. It will be their first indoor performance (correct?) so I'm sure they are nervous and not sure what to expect.

pghs_instructor
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by pghs_instructor » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:29 pm

Hey there,

I was in your shoes just last year. It's amazing how difficult the first year can be. The first show really is an important one because it tells the students what they are working towards. I couldn't agree more with what has been said here so far. Make sure that you get them in to see other groups. The benefit of being in the novice division is that you usually can see at least Scholastic and Open groups. Seeing these groups really motivates the kids to see what they could do. I also try and get them in to see other groups that are from nearby schools.

Looking forward to seeing the show; we'll be competitors in two weeks.
JT
Pleasant Grove H.S. 2007-2012 - Percussion Caption Head
Elk Grove High School 2004-2007 - Bass/Percussion Tech