Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

BD94Euph
Section Leader
Section Leader

RULES QUESTION

Post by BD94Euph » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:39 pm

Can someone help me with this TONIGHT!?

WHat are the WGI/SCPA rules about kids from a high school line ALSO participating in an independent line at the same time?

THANKS!!!

Steven
Rookie
Rookie

Re: RULES QUESTION

Post by Steven » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:03 pm

I cant imagine there are any rules against it. Sounds like a logistical nightmare for the instructors though.
Fairfield High 2007-2009
Instructor/Arranger/Visual
Reed High 1998-1999, 2001-2003, 2007-2008
Spanish Springs 2001-2003
Mandarins 2006-2007
Instructor – Battery

geefunk1026
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by geefunk1026 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:29 pm

I know that WGI has a policy that frowns upon it. I don't think there is a specific rule though. When I marched in 2001 at Blue Knights indoor, there were 5 or 6 kids that also marched at Pamona High School in the line. At WGI Finals those poor kids had to hurry out of uniform from their PSW line and suit up for our PIW show.
I don't think it's as common as it used to be.
G

Steven
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Steven » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:33 pm

http://www.wgi.org/2009/percrules.pdf
WGI discourages independent ensembles from utilizing membership composed of any
high school students who were previously enrolled in an active high school program
and have not yet graduated.
I think this is to prevent independent groups from sucking the talent out of high schools, but if they are performing in both...regardless it isnt a rule, its a strong suggestion.
Fairfield High 2007-2009
Mandarins 2006-2007
Instructor – Battery

quickcheeses
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by quickcheeses » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:22 pm

It's legal, just not recommended.

They basically frown upon "stealing" high school kids from a program to participate in a Ind. line instead.

If the kid can do both, it's fair game....just a really long show day.

-Eric

BDinkel
Veteran
Veteran

Post by BDinkel » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:12 pm

Like Eric said here, while it is allowed, it is also heavily frowned upon... unless your HS doesn't have a winter ensemble to participate in. It is just considered to be a low-class thing to do when an independent ensemble solicits or recruits high school-age students who have a HS program they could be participating in, because it is just not logistically or financially feasible to participate in two competitive ensembles. WGI says everything short of actually having a rule against it, because there are always unique circumstances. It would also be next to impossible to enforce.

Many independent groups take it upon themselves to require permission from the band director or principal of the HS if a high school age student wishes to participate.

Teever
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Teever » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:30 pm

You can't participate at the same time because only one group can play at a time.
Ba dum bum

jbdrummerdude
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by jbdrummerdude » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:10 pm

I have a different rule question. Whats the boundaries of sampling someones voice? does the performer have to attack EVERY syllable? I've seen some groups like mission viejo or music city use parts of movies or a speech as samples.
BHS 2002-2006
Blue Devils B 2006
Sacramento Freelancers 2007-present
Sacramento Mandarins 2007-present

BMS Instructor 2003-2008
BHS Instructor 2006-present
El Dorado HS instructor 2008
Del Oro HS
Monte Vista HS
Lincoln HS

Steven
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Steven » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:23 pm

No single, triggered, electronic sound may produce rhythmic intent.
This is from the WGI rules, so you can sample a whole sentence/paragraph if you want. But, for example, you cant sample a drum beat, or someone rapping.

I believe the rules for NCBA are/were more strict, but I have had a hard time finding a clear answer on what the current rules are regarding samples.
Fairfield High 2007-2009
Mandarins 2006-2007
Instructor – Battery

Steven
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Steven » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:30 pm

Taped music will not be allowed. Instrumentation is limited to those instruments typically utilized and recognized as part of a percussion section. Also allowed are electronic percussion equipment and those electronic instruments recognized as normal stage band rhythm section instruments. Wind controllers, wind instruments and/or string instruments (other than string bass) may not be used. No pre-recorded music or pre-recorded audio effects maybe used. A performing member must generate all electronically produced sounds in “real time”. The use of sequencers or any sequenced copyrighted material is not allowed. The generation of any electronic sound must be triggered by an implement of hand striking the key, instrument or pat (note to arrangers: the effects created by electronic can be unique, wonderful, and effective. However, if the intent is to disguise a particular sound or have the blend so uniform you cannot tell what the sound source is, credit by the adjudicators will not be received for achievement).
http://www.ncbaonline.org/rules/winter_ ... percussion

Looks like your gonna need a lawyer to help you out with this one. Im not really sure what the rules mean with regard to sampling voice.
Fairfield High 2007-2009
Mandarins 2006-2007
Instructor – Battery

jbdrummerdude
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by jbdrummerdude » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:32 pm

tight. thanks steve.
BHS 2002-2006
Blue Devils B 2006
Sacramento Freelancers 2007-present
Sacramento Mandarins 2007-present

BMS Instructor 2003-2008
BHS Instructor 2006-present
El Dorado HS instructor 2008
Del Oro HS
Monte Vista HS
Lincoln HS

BDinkel
Veteran
Veteran

Post by BDinkel » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:10 pm

Steven wrote:
Taped music will not be allowed. Instrumentation is limited to those instruments typically utilized and recognized as part of a percussion section. Also allowed are electronic percussion equipment and those electronic instruments recognized as normal stage band rhythm section instruments. Wind controllers, wind instruments and/or string instruments (other than string bass) may not be used. No pre-recorded music or pre-recorded audio effects maybe used. A performing member must generate all electronically produced sounds in “real time”. The use of sequencers or any sequenced copyrighted material is not allowed. The generation of any electronic sound must be triggered by an implement of hand striking the key, instrument or pat (note to arrangers: the effects created by electronic can be unique, wonderful, and effective. However, if the intent is to disguise a particular sound or have the blend so uniform you cannot tell what the sound source is, credit by the adjudicators will not be received for achievement).
http://www.ncbaonline.org/rules/winter_ ... percussion

Looks like your gonna need a lawyer to help you out with this one. Im not really sure what the rules mean with regard to sampling voice.

How unfortunate... this is pretty much word for word what the OLD WGI rule on sampled/pre-recorded sounds was. It's pretty old school and confusing, doesn't really account for the technological advances of the last 6 - 7 years. WGI fixed it a few years ago, time to catch up.

According to the old rules, no "pre-recorded sounds" were allowed, but the way WGI has always interpreted it was "no pre-recorded sounds with a rhythmic intent". I remember in 2002 with the Black Knights, we used some sampled drum sounds prominently in the show, and at a WGI event the pit instructor had to go into a room with the WGI Admin to verify that the samples were only one attack per button. Under those old rules, every syllable of spoken text had to be triggered seperately.