percussion maintence question

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

Miss A
New Recruit
New Recruit

percussion maintence question

Post by Miss A » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:17 pm

Does anyone know how to re string a gong? I know I saw something on the forum before but I can't seem to locate it right now.

Anyone? Anyone? Anyone?
Biscuit !!!!!!!!
Never try to teach a pig to sing.
It wastes your time and it annoys the pig.

Chapagne
Veteran
Veteran

Re: percussion maintence question

Post by Chapagne » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:23 pm

Do you need a new cord or did it just come undone?

After threading the line through the loops on the stand, I put the gong on top of a couple of thick books so it was at the height I wanted and then tied the cord using this:

http://www.animatedknots.com/carrick/in ... dknots.com

I had enough cord to loop it through the gong a few times too. It hasn't budged since and I hang it to store it.
Last edited by Chapagne on Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The conductor of an orchestra doesn't make a sound. He depends for his power on his ability to make other people powerful." - Benjamin Zander

cymtech
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cymtech » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:22 pm

ive seen it done 2 ways:

1) the way previously described.... although i dont think the type of knot matters that much

2) instead of tying the ends together, knots are tied once they are threaded through the holes on the gong.

i would think that either way works fine... but i think number 2 eliminates the possibility of the string making noise after the gong is struck.

BDinkel
Veteran
Veteran

Post by BDinkel » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:21 pm

I would say go with the first method listed above. I would say using 2 - 3 layers of nylon cord (like marimba string) is pretty effective. You don't want to use a material that is low density like typical rope, it will dampen the gong and will fray quickly and unexpectedly - nothing worse than a "gongsplosion" in the middle of your concert or rehearsal when the string breaks. The goal is to make sure that the gong itself has as little surface contact with the rope/cord as possible.

That is also why I would recommend tying the ends of the rope together with one knot, since having one knot for each hole and having the weight of the gong resting on these knots tends to dampen things a little bit otherwise.

If you do decide to use a nylon based cord like marimba string, my recommendation would be to get it tied and set to the correct height for your stand, and then take a lighter and apply some heat to the knot, not enough so that it melts completely, but enough to get it gummy and sticky so that the knot hardens and fuses together.