stiff left hand

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

thunderdrmz
Rookie
Rookie

stiff left hand

Post by thunderdrmz » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:10 pm

how do you guys/gals approach relaxing a students left hand in traditional grip? Describing it in the lingo that I use I am trying to get a student to relax the wrist and incorporate the fingers in applications such as double strokes, hertas and faster hand to hand patterns.
Rhythm is my business, rhythm is what I sell

geefunk1026
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: stiff left hand

Post by geefunk1026 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:29 am

I have found that most stiff left hand problems can be fixed by ensuring the students use a relaxed grip. As long as the fingers are all curved and there is little squeeze on the stick, the stroke becomes more relaxed. Really getting into it would take someone being there.
G

moondrums

Post by moondrums » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:09 pm

....Steve....? :( I'm sorry i have a stiff left hand....
DRUMMER CHICKS ROCK HARDER

Teever
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Teever » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:07 pm

Move slowly - remember, the traditional left hand grip is not a very natural one, and most high school players who are new at this grip are just plainly asked to play too much, too fast, before they've become properly accustomed to it. There's also nothing wrong with having them learn their parts with matched grip while still working traditional technique, until they're ready to switch over.

Steven
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Steven » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:24 pm

Play slow relaxed a whole lot until you can play fast and relaxed. Theres only so much you can tell a person and expect them to change something like it, they have to put in the hours on a practice pad/drum.

Things you can do,

During basics stress the relaxed aproach to your student and do it consistently (every day).
Fairfield High 2007-2009
Instructor/Arranger/Visual
Reed High 1998-1999, 2001-2003, 2007-2008
Spanish Springs 2001-2003
Mandarins 2006-2007
Instructor – Battery

Bacon
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Bacon » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:32 am

-practice at slower tempos

-tell them to practice eights or something basic to their favorite music, that way they will feel more relaxed

-have them practice rhythms with both hands playing at the same time in from of a mirror or another player. That way they can see how different their left is, and try to have it imitate the flow in their right hand.

-you know how sometimes people tell you to shake it out? Well, have them do that for about 20 seconds. Tell them to relax and after this put their stick in their hand. And then play with their left for 20 seconds. Then repeat the process. What happens is they get used to a nice relaxed motion, and then when they play with the stick it will look more relaxed. By the end of the 20 seconds, it may start looking stiff again, this is why you repeat it several times and practice everyday until they have a more relaxed feel and appearance.

-Or you could force it out. Set a met to a slow tempo, like 70. And have them play eights with both hands playing at the same time on a pillow. Instead of playing with legato, have them press the sticks into the pillow every time. After a rep of this, have them play 16th notes, legato. Their arms may get sore. What happens is it's a very strict motion and they will get tired and will be forced to play the 16ths relaxed. It's like burning out a sunburn. It also helps them to learn to play through the drum.
EDHS Drumline '06-'08
Sacramento Mandarins '08
Sac State Marching Band '08
Sac State Winter Ensemble '09
EDHS Percussion Instructor '08-'09

myspace.com/drillogicaldrummer