volume or cleaniness?

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

thunderdrmz
Rookie
Rookie

volume or cleaniness?

Post by thunderdrmz » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:38 pm

What is your lines style for winter drumline? Do you try to get most or all of the show done for your 1st comp and clean the remainder of the season or do you try to present a smaller but cleaner portion of the show and add as the season goes on?
Rhythm is my business, rhythm is what I sell

hobgobln13
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: volume or cleaniness?

Post by hobgobln13 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:08 pm

With my line I tend to try to have a clean smaller portion to start with. I feel that if you rush the product, it can lead to some bad habits which ends up being harder to correct in the long run.

JT

diminaband

Post by diminaband » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:16 pm

We used to always focus on the music first! Then introduce the marching once we were happy with the music. So that way, if we don't get through the marching part, they just keep playing but not march after a certain point. Other times we would just cut it off. But generally, it was music first(cleeeeaaaaaaan)

Os_percussion

Post by Os_percussion » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:58 pm

you have to go out there with a quality product. i wouldnt go out with a full show unless i was happy with it

Teever
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Teever » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:31 pm

For some lines, this depends on show length and the pacing of the show. For instance, if your association has a 4 minute minimum show length, you might want to hit at least that amount to avoid penalty points. On the other hand, if you feel that a shorter show played cleaner contains a sufficient amount of creditable material to outweigh the penalty, then go with the shorter show to start. Another tactic that is often used is to play up to the minimum time, but only do as much drill as you can clean for the first show, standing still for the remainder. That way, you avoid timing penalties, but can still achieve music credit for what you play. This doesn't necessarily help your GE or Visual score, however.

Bacon
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Bacon » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:53 am

I prefer cleanliness. But, I'm not in charge so I have no say in what the ensemble does. But, I work with the pit a lot on chops and technique issues because it usually cleans up their playing.
EDHS Drumline '06-'08
Sacramento Mandarins '08
Sac State Marching Band '08
Sac State Winter Ensemble '09
EDHS Percussion Instructor '08-'09

myspace.com/drillogicaldrummer