Metronome for Drum line?

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

bandshmuck

Metronome for Drum line?

Post by bandshmuck » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:19 pm

Does anyone know how I can get a metronome loud enough for my drum line? They can't hear no matter what I through at them. Tried speakers in the band room (big 8x12's) and a long ranger. Just can't enough juice!

Any suggestions would be so awesome, thanks!

cymtech
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Metronome for Drum line?

Post by cymtech » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:38 pm

the other half of the metronome relationship is listening to it...

play softer

Teever
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Teever » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:13 pm

cymtech wrote:the other half of the metronome relationship is listening to it...

play softer
Thank you for saying that first!!!!!

tSz42

Post by tSz42 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:58 pm

would be cool if they made a met that has a video output to a TV. It then displays the flashing dots or whatever else you want on there (tempo, how many bars you've done, etc).

Then all of a sudden it flashes one of those horror pictures on the screen with a loud yelp from a 7 year old girl.

quickcheeses
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by quickcheeses » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:06 am

Have them play on practice pads for a bit, in order to get comfortable playing better in time. You would be surprised how soft you can get the met when the kids know what to listen for.

The more they're aware of how they fit in time, the easier it'll be to hear it (sounds obvious).

I can't believe how loud people blast the long rangers expecting the kids to play more in time the louder they get. Ear damage-not cool :).

-Eric

DynaGlide
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DynaGlide » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:43 pm

Put the line in a circle, standing so that they are front to back, play very small sections (1 count, 2 counts, 1 measure, 2 measures, etc.) of the parts on the back of the person in front of them with the metronome on. Discuss who's on the beat and off the beat a on what specific counts. Reverse direction increasing the length of the passage played as it improves.

Have them play the parts on the instruments facing the center of the circle and watching the person across from them.

diminaband

Post by diminaband » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:12 pm

Hey man, the best thing you can do is get one of those speakers that look like megaphones but you cant talk into it(unless you have attachment) should be able to find at any marching store.. Anyway, I have found that if that is still too quiet(and its gets ear piercing) I will set it face down in front of the line and crank it. They not only hear it, but they feel it in their feet. Plus it moves through the whole ground, making the beep acoustically surround.. Try it!

thunderdrmz
Rookie
Rookie

Post by thunderdrmz » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:30 pm

WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU, MY DRUMLINE IS PLAYING! :drums:
Rhythm is my business, rhythm is what I sell

Sirsplitalot
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Sirsplitalot » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:00 am

you must have on hell of a line...numbers wise...i always hear the met..in a 18 piece drumline, and teaching one...ive always heard it...? it could be acoustics (if you're inside) or tuning of drums if you're inside..

Teever
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Teever » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:33 pm

Don't know about your kids, but I can hear your met from here, so could you please turn it down?

bandshmuck

Post by bandshmuck » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:46 pm

I have a 40 piece drum line. what do you guys want from me? We practice in a small band room, and the met is supposed to carry over everyone. They play quiet, dynamics are very important to me. I guess quiet is just relative...

Steven
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Steven » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:16 pm

bandshmuck wrote: and the met is supposed to carry over everyone.
No it is not, you need to teach your kids to listen for the met, and more importantly to the voice that is controling the pulse. Dont kill their hearing by blasting a lone ranger+speakers in a small room, unless they all have earplugs. This might be a good idea anyway if your drumline is always inside and always louder than a lone ranger.

If you have a 40 person line then set up the met so one section can hear it (snares) and have other people listen to that section. You can leave the speaker face down in fron of you center snare. You might have to actualy man the met and adjust it sometimes if things get hairy. (click it of then turn it back on at a downbeat).

Please take the advice on this forum, people arnt telling you ways to boost the met volume for a reason. (Though I can think of several brutal ideas)
Fairfield High 2007-2009
Instructor/Arranger/Visual
Reed High 1998-1999, 2001-2003, 2007-2008
Spanish Springs 2001-2003
Mandarins 2006-2007
Instructor – Battery

perc2100
Veteran
Veteran

Post by perc2100 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:25 pm

tSz42 wrote:would be cool if they made a met that has a video output to a TV. It then displays the flashing dots or whatever else you want on there (tempo, how many bars you've done, etc).

Then all of a sudden it flashes one of those horror pictures on the screen with a loud yelp from a 7 year old girl.
:rotf:

THAT'S funny!

tSz42

Post by tSz42 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:46 pm

and make sure everyone wears a black mask and rides a horse.

Bacon
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Bacon » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:42 am

bandshmuck wrote:I have a 40 piece drum line. what do you guys want from me? We practice in a small band room, and the met is supposed to carry over everyone. They play quiet, dynamics are very important to me. I guess quiet is just relative...
40 piece line practicing in a room?? Go outside! The sound should carry over and it's usually better to have the speakers or whatever lifted... but the line should hear it if they listen for it. I prefer using a tempo block.
EDHS Drumline '06-'08
Sacramento Mandarins '08
Sac State Marching Band '08
Sac State Winter Ensemble '09
EDHS Percussion Instructor '08-'09

myspace.com/drillogicaldrummer