why is this so boring

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

cymtech
Veteran
Veteran

Re: why is this so boring

Post by cymtech » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:31 pm

What about just not allowing PMs or making it so u have to register another account for that forum?

If ur looking for someone to kiss booboos and wipe tears, I'd be happy to mod. I'm sure there are others that would mod as well.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:23 pm

horns2thebachs wrote:
cymtech wrote:i also feel these forums are a little "tight" with the way the mods handle things... i know thats why i dont post as often as i use to. i have a feeling it might be the same for others.
You know... seeing as a directors forum has already been established, why not make one for students? I'm not talking about leadership, I'm talking about the average joe. I think it would be cool to have a forum that requires access through proof that you attend(ed) a certain program, but at the same time let the chat be uncensored (to an extent) where kids can say "band C sucks!" , bring up topics that are "beaten to death",not be told that the answer to their question is "in the book", and fish for comments on their own groups. All the things you old timers get annoyed by can be placed into one forum. The requirements would be from age 13-25, no directors allowed. That way the kids can hold discussions without the threat of being bashed by some of the more "seasoned" forum members. So whadd'aya say Dave?
I've already got a name for your forum: "Lord of the Flies" :wink:

horns2thebachs
Veteran
Veteran

Post by horns2thebachs » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:22 pm

Bandmaster wrote:
horns2thebachs wrote:
cymtech wrote:i also feel these forums are a little "tight" with the way the mods handle things... i know thats why i dont post as often as i use to. i have a feeling it might be the same for others.
You know... seeing as a directors forum has already been established, why not make one for students? I'm not talking about leadership, I'm talking about the average joe. I think it would be cool to have a forum that requires access through proof that you attend(ed) a certain program, but at the same time let the chat be uncensored (to an extent) where kids can say "band C sucks!" , bring up topics that are "beaten to death",not be told that the answer to their question is "in the book", and fish for comments on their own groups. All the things you old timers get annoyed by can be placed into one forum. The requirements would be from age 13-25, no directors allowed. That way the kids can hold discussions without the threat of being bashed by some of the more "seasoned" forum members. So whadd'aya say Dave?
But who will take care of all the hurt feelings and bruised egos if we allow a free-for-all? I have an area like that in another forum that I run and I get more PM's about hurt feelings even though there is a disclaimer warning users when entering the area.

The internet seems to give many a false sense of empowerment (anonymity) and they think they are "allowed" to say anything they want, no matter how hurtful and out-of-line. The younger the person the more intoxicationg it seems to be... :roll: Now if you could make this fact disappear I might consider it!

I know 25 year olds that are already directors, so the age limit you suggest is bogus.
YES!!! That is precisely the idea. How many times have you had to tell someone "this is not the place for that type of behavior." Well... I would like to create a place for this type of discussion, where people are entitled to say whatever they darned well please.

In essence a forum of this type would be like a band itself. All you need is 3 or 4 moderators that you trust, comprised of PEERS (meaning people still currently involved) , who serve as section leaders of sorts, one person as a DM (preferably someone who meets the requirements yet also has moderation experience) and you could even hold weekly "leadership" meetings, through PMs and whatnot where the leadership discusses with the "Band Director" ( you) to make sure you guys run a tight ship.

I realize that some band directors are under 25 years old. I drew the line there because I wanted to include members of university bands and people around that age who are NOT staff members. Bogus or not, it's just a suggestion.

In regards to the Lord of the Flies quip, read it and loved it. My name for this forum would be : The WOP Defibrillator.

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by fieldshowqueen » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:30 pm

Oh lord almighty ... how about a forum for old farts who are NOT directors so we can complaint about how immature some people are including students, other parents, or directors just because they don't agree with me or because I don't like to play by their rules? How about a forum for just mods so they can roll their eyes at every post because the person posting is clueless? (wait ... they probably do that now anyway!) How about a forum for ONLY school administrators and board members who are trying to set policy despite no support from the state or the teacher's union?

So, with that said ... I'm off to complain to others who share my point of view ... which probably means a forum of one.

Outta here (probably permanently).

horns2thebachs
Veteran
Veteran

Post by horns2thebachs » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:11 am

Posts like yours are the reason why nobody posts here anymore...

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by fieldshowqueen » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:09 am

horns2thebachs wrote:Posts like yours are the reason why nobody posts here anymore...
As vore would say ... :shutup:

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:10 am

horns2thebachs wrote:I realize that some band directors are under 25 years old. I drew the line there because I wanted to include members of university bands and people around that age who are NOT staff members. Bogus or not, it's just a suggestion.
The flaw in your logic is... how do we prove ANY of this? What's to stop me from creating a second account with a new email and pretending I'm a 16-year-old band member, just to gain access to your forum? How can we prove that the 21-year-old in the forum is JUST a band member at UC-Wherever and NOT also a percussion tech at B.S. Jabroni HS?

WOP does not do ID verification, just email verification. I understand your idea, but there's no way to weed out the imposters.

horns2thebachs
Veteran
Veteran

Post by horns2thebachs » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:41 am

Hmmmm. Well what is the criteria that is used to gain access to the directors forum? I'm sure you could use that as a blueprint.

tSz42

Post by tSz42 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:52 pm

So... you want a forum where you can say, "your band sucks" without having Mod intervention, a forum where you discuss leadership topics, and a forum for students?

2 of the 3 are already accomplished within this site. But a forum where you can say whatever you want... will not happen. I'm sure the moderators will back me up on this, but I doubt this discussion board/forum/site wont support a place where you can tell other students they suck at so-and-so.

With that said, I think the moderation on this particular forum (percussion) was a little strict in the past and that's why you don't see as many posts as before. Mainly because it started to become a place like you want. People were were flat-out saying "your school sucks!! OMG, you're horrible!" And then there were people who made posts about their own school and saying "damn, did you see (insert school name)? They are so good!" Then we later find out its the center snare of that same school.

If you want a forum where you can say whatever you want, create your own, I did.

tSz42

Post by tSz42 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:00 pm

Also, Dave, you need to get rid of some of the moderators for this forum or appoint some new ones. TMR Quint Kid was last seen in August of 2007, Caretaker only has 18 posts and was last seen in April of 2007, MinCook was last seen in May of '08.

Just a suggestion, though. I don't think Percussion needs 6 Mods...

horns2thebachs
Veteran
Veteran

Post by horns2thebachs » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:39 pm

tSz42 wrote:So... you want a forum where you can say, "your band sucks" without having Mod intervention, a forum where you discuss leadership topics, and a forum for students?

2 of the 3 are already accomplished within this site. But a forum where you can say whatever you want... will not happen. I'm sure the moderators will back me up on this, but I doubt this discussion board/forum/site wont support a place where you can tell other students they suck at so-and-so.

With that said, I think the moderation on this particular forum (percussion) was a little strict in the past and that's why you don't see as many posts as before. Mainly because it started to become a place like you want. People were were flat-out saying "your school sucks!! OMG, you're horrible!" And then there were people who made posts about their own school and saying "damn, did you see (insert school name)? They are so good!" Then we later find out its the center snare of that same school.

If you want a forum where you can say whatever you want, create your own, I did.
horns2thebachs wrote:
You know... seeing as a directors forum has already been established, why not make one for students? I'm not talking about leadership, I'm talking about the average joe.
Obviously, every forum requires a certain level of moderation. But people can't even share their opinions here anymore, especially students, without being forced to apologize by their director, or shot down by some egotistical know-it-all.

The question was why this is so boring, and the reason is because kids make one post talking about the school they go to, or how they don't like another group's show, get flamed for it, and never return. Bruised egos and hurt feeling are part of life's maturation process. Personally I think it would be better for some people to realize that not everyone thinks the band they are a part of is the best. Maybe it will lead them to be less cocky and work harder.

I guess what I have a problem with is the fact that the directors forum is private. Why not give everyone access if you are unwilling to make a private forum for students? I know of many directors who seek advice from their students. I think other forum members would have valuable input to give to directors and their staff. Why should directors be placed on a pedestal over everyone else in this forum?

Also, tSz42, I seem to recall you being VERY involved with the "Goober" incidents of 05-06 (perhaps it was even you who made the Goober account). Sure half of the forum hated the guy, but at least he was entertaining. I would like to try to bring back the controversial discussions because it makes the forum less boring. Nowadays nobody wants to talk about anything that might cause a stir.

tSz42

Post by tSz42 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:28 pm

Sorry, I'm not Goober, nor do I know who he/she/it was. The reason I was involved when Goober was around because he was stating his opinion and was within the site's "rules" , but the Mod's continually deleted his posts. You see where this is going? I'm in the same boat as you are in that I want more people to state their opinion. But when you have asshats who have an inflated ego of themselves and get called on it, they complain. That's why you don't have a private forum for students. As Dave said, even with the user warning, people are going to complain.

That's why I said you create your own forum for people to discuss whatever they want. Hell, give me $10 for the domain registration fee and I'll host a forum for you. I'll give you admin and can say whatever you want. Just as long as its not illegal in the U.S., I'm fine with it.

As far as the Director's forum, nothing special goes on there.

cymtech
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cymtech » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:30 pm

tSz42 wrote:Sorry, I'm not Goober, nor do I know who he/she/it was. The reason I was involved when Goober was around because he was stating his opinion and was within the site's "rules" , but the Mod's continually deleted his posts. You see where this is going? I'm in the same boat as you are in that I want more people to state their opinion. But when you have asshats who have an inflated ego of themselves and get called on it, they complain. That's why you don't have a private forum for students. As Dave said, even with the user warning, people are going to complain.

That's why I said you create your own forum for people to discuss whatever they want. Hell, give me $10 for the domain registration fee and I'll host a forum for you. I'll give you admin and can say whatever you want. Just as long as its not illegal in the U.S., I'm fine with it.

As far as the Director's forum, nothing special goes on there.
you mean the directors forum isn't a mythical land of lollipops and awesome????

*gasp* :shock: :lol:

i agree with the mod thing though.... i havent seen half these ppl in months.

i feel like some of the postings that still fall within the forum guidelines still get flamed simply because a mod doesnt agree with it. ive seen many a post get deleted when it really had no reason to.

lastly, i am impressed with courtesy this thread has had so far. no one is ripping each others heads off or name calling... these percussion ppl are pretty fancy! *pinkys up*

geefunk1026
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by geefunk1026 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:30 pm

This is the kind of discussion I have been waiting for. I'm all about some friendly discussion about positives and negatives. I also try to leave stuff up there unless someone asks me to delete something for good reason. I've only deleted a handful of posts that were negative to the point where I would have left them, but was requested that threads were deleted.
As a director I try not to say anything negative about other groups, and find the positive as much as possible. However, I don't mind some discussion from others about pros and cons as long as it doesn't turn into "Band A got screwed because Band B won and they suck!!!"

Anyway, I'm rambling as always.
I agree that it has gotten really boring around here. I don't mind mixing the pot up a little to make it at least a little bit interesting.
G

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bandmaster » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:18 am

OK, here's a couple of questions for all of you that want unbridled posting. How do we go about teaching good sportsmanship to members of the forum if we aren't allowed to tell someone when they cross the line? How do you teach someone that it is not always a wise thing to just blurt things out without thinking?

The Director's forum requires that members submit their name, the name of school where they work and their email address to either myself or Vore for approval. If we don't know who they are we sometimes ask pointed questions to verify their position. They enjoy discussing problems with school administrators, new instrument lines coming to the marketplace, how to deal with certain problems that arise in the course of teaching their programs, judging issues and many other things where they feel they need to not have students looking over their shoulders as they do it. Many times they are looking for advise from fellow directors "before" they make a decision about their program. If you don't know why they want a private place to do this, then it is obvious that you have never taught before.
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster