why is this so boring

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

thunderdrmz
Rookie
Rookie

why is this so boring

Post by thunderdrmz » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:22 pm

I remember a time, only a few years back, that this forum thrived with a miriad of topics ranging from who is doing what show to who is playing well to which playing style and technique was better than the other. All it seems to be now is an audition announcement page. Sooo...

Anyone have thoughts or opinions as to why traditional technique is so prevelent in the drumline snare genre as opposed to matched grip? (Besides that it is cooler)
Rhythm is my business, rhythm is what I sell

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: why is this so boring

Post by Hostrauser » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:04 pm

thunderdrmz wrote:Anyone have thoughts or opinions as to why traditional technique is so prevelent in the drumline snare genre as opposed to matched grip? (Besides that it is cooler)
Because of, as you said, tradition. "That's the way it's always been done." Well, yeah, but the grip was created to play the side drum on horseback. It made sense when snare drums were still attached to sash harnesses and dangled at the left hip. It makes little sense with the snare right in front of you, even if it's tilted (ahem, SCV).

Personally, I'm a fan of matched grip. Traditional grip isn't an abomination to me or anything, but I always approve when I hear a corps is making the switch for a season.

cymtech
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cymtech » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:26 am

i also remember a time a few years back when after every show there was a thread discussing it. idk where everyone went... idk if groups arent allowed to post anymore.... but i am kinda upset that it isnt as communal as it once was. scpa boards are the same way.

Jsaxm
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Jsaxm » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:33 am

People are afraid of offending someone or having their opinions ripped to shreds is what I think. There may be some other factors, but I think that one has some pull on what's happening on the boards in general.
You just can't encourage stupidity

Slaphappy7
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Slaphappy7 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:19 am

Jsaxm wrote:People are afraid of offending someone or having their opinions ripped to shreds is what I think. There may be some other factors, but I think that one has some pull on what's happening on the boards in general.
Some places have gag orders I'm sure. But that shouldn't stop assigned reps for each organization from at least posting the a blurb about their shows.

Anyway, here's hoping the questions that were just put up in the NCBA thread start something.

Follow us on twitter and friend us on Facebook!

http://twitter.com/SFRenegades

http://www.facebook.com/SanFranciscoRenegades

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by fieldshowqueen » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:51 am

I've noticed participation in several groups that I'm in drop off dramatically over the past 2 years. I was in a card game league that had 400 members ... it's down to about 30 and probably won't see the sun rise over 2009. There are any number of reasons for it ... boredom with the "new" technology (it isn't "new" anymore) or playing with other "new" technology or games now, people got lives or moved on to other things, people can't afford the time or money to be online, gag orders, fear of flaming or being flamed or the particular issues have been hashed and rehashed and flamed so many times they are basically charcoal at this point, etc.

... and the grip thing doesn't matter from my end. :lol:

redbeard
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by redbeard » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:06 pm

One of my past college professors liked the way you could snap or whip the left hand while playing orchestral traditional snare drum.

thunderdrmz
Rookie
Rookie

Post by thunderdrmz » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:21 am

When I was a wee young budding drummer, and that was MANY moons ago, traditional was taught regularly because straps were still being used. (ahem..I mean phased out) As a regular gigging drummer I have never lost the feeling to want to play jazz with traditional Don't ask me why because I don't fully know. I just like the feel. My student (snares) clamore for the for the time I teach them trad grip. I know for the younger drummer the difference in grips sets them apart from the norm and that is special to them. As far as my original question on the matter, I don't believe trad grip offers anything more beneficial or superior to match grip or we would be using it for both hands.
Rhythm is my business, rhythm is what I sell

redbeard
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by redbeard » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:35 am

I definately agree. Michael French (Hi Mike) told me years ago that he had done a study and it showed something like: You use 8 or 9 muscles in each hand for matched grip versus 4 muscles for the traditional side. The argument being that it takes much more effort to learn traditional grip. It is therefore a more advanced skill and warrants more recognition. Theese are my interpretations of what he told me 12 or so years ago.
So.......... to your point, there would seem to be no musical advantage of the traditional grip on a marching snare drum. Visually speaking, I love the traditional look.

cymtech
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cymtech » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:00 pm

i also feel these forums are a little "tight" with the way the mods handle things... i know thats why i dont post as often as i use to. i have a feeling it might be the same for others.

Chapagne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chapagne » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:34 pm

Also, if someone does bring up a topic, someone stomps on the thread, saying it was discussed to death years ago. Then you're just pointed to the link.
"The conductor of an orchestra doesn't make a sound. He depends for his power on his ability to make other people powerful." - Benjamin Zander

curios0811
Rookie
Rookie

Post by curios0811 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:56 am

Mike French? Where is he? Yooo Hoooo

From what i have learned from many people, the list is to long to type, their are so many types of doing it. I prefer match myself. But their are so many different types of techniques out their its crazy. "Match" grip or "Traditional" grip is not just those two things itself. Their is so many positions that you can have with just your thumb alone - Al Peralta. And with every person that i have worked with or drummed with or have had them as my instructor, the point is still...is it clean or not. Ive seen so many drum corps out their the last few years that have a difference in technique but its clean and then yet again its dirty for other groups. I guess its all in your head.

Whats that saying?....90% is mental
Yo

horns2thebachs
Veteran
Veteran

Post by horns2thebachs » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:02 pm

cymtech wrote:i also feel these forums are a little "tight" with the way the mods handle things... i know thats why i dont post as often as i use to. i have a feeling it might be the same for others.
You know... seeing as a directors forum has already been established, why not make one for students? I'm not talking about leadership, I'm talking about the average joe. I think it would be cool to have a forum that requires access through proof that you attend(ed) a certain program, but at the same time let the chat be uncensored (to an extent) where kids can say "band C sucks!" , bring up topics that are "beaten to death",not be told that the answer to their question is "in the book", and fish for comments on their own groups. All the things you old timers get annoyed by can be placed into one forum. The requirements would be from age 13-25, no directors allowed. That way the kids can hold discussions without the threat of being bashed by some of the more "seasoned" forum members. So whadd'aya say Dave?

press.enter
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by press.enter » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:27 pm

hahahahahahahaha.
if it's done im in.
... and boom.

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bandmaster » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:45 pm

horns2thebachs wrote:
cymtech wrote:i also feel these forums are a little "tight" with the way the mods handle things... i know thats why i dont post as often as i use to. i have a feeling it might be the same for others.
You know... seeing as a directors forum has already been established, why not make one for students? I'm not talking about leadership, I'm talking about the average joe. I think it would be cool to have a forum that requires access through proof that you attend(ed) a certain program, but at the same time let the chat be uncensored (to an extent) where kids can say "band C sucks!" , bring up topics that are "beaten to death",not be told that the answer to their question is "in the book", and fish for comments on their own groups. All the things you old timers get annoyed by can be placed into one forum. The requirements would be from age 13-25, no directors allowed. That way the kids can hold discussions without the threat of being bashed by some of the more "seasoned" forum members. So whadd'aya say Dave?
But who will take care of all the hurt feelings and bruised egos if we allow a free-for-all? I have an area like that in another forum that I run and I get more PM's about hurt feelings even though there is a disclaimer warning users when entering the area.

The internet seems to give many a false sense of empowerment (anonymity) and they think they are "allowed" to say anything they want, no matter how hurtful and out-of-line. The younger the person the more intoxicationg it seems to be... :roll: Now if you could make this fact disappear I might consider it!

I know 25 year olds that are already directors, so the age limit you suggest is bogus.
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster