NCBA WINTERCOMP 08-09

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

dceribales1

Re: NCBA WINTERCOMP 08-09

Post by dceribales1 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:13 am

what instrument did you play? i remember that show well.

Powerhouse08
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Powerhouse08 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:36 am

I played snare. I was actually the section leader. :yeah: but that was many moons ago. hahaha....
Atwater High School 04-09
music arranger/visual design/snare tech
Merced High School 09-12
music arranger/visual design/Percussion Caption Head
Golden Valley High School 12-?
music arranger/visual design/Percussion Caption Head

Slaphappy7
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Slaphappy7 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:12 am

It’s too quiet in here. Where’s the burning questions? Where’s the Hype? He*l at this point where’s the hate?

Okay so here are a few questions let’s see if we can get SOMETHING going?

Will Atwater go up to Open class for NCBA Winter? They did pull off a huge W @ fall champs. And to roll in and beat the current top 5 open class lines it only seems fitting.

What’s going on in the middle school division? I can only remember seeing Sprinstowne and Benicia out there for fall? Are the other schools gearing up for winter? Will they have programs? How’s the progress going? (Dover, Vallejo, Solano. Wells… where ya at?)

Oh and in the rumor mill… I hear Franklin (middle) is coming back…
:shock:

Follow us on twitter and friend us on Facebook!

http://twitter.com/SFRenegades

http://www.facebook.com/SanFranciscoRenegades

Steven
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Steven » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:10 pm

It would be hard for me to hate a highschool music program...

Reed high is taking a season off. Fairfield has been rehearsing for couple weeks now. I doubt we will make an announcment about our program until midseason, We are only slowly telling the kids about it. Im hoping that if you see the show you could tell me what the concept is about 1:30-2:00.

I would like to see atwater and some other schools go open. Last year there just wasnt enough groups that finished the season in open.

Good luck everyone.
Fairfield High 2007-2009
Instructor/Arranger/Visual
Reed High 1998-1999, 2001-2003, 2007-2008
Spanish Springs 2001-2003
Mandarins 2006-2007
Instructor – Battery

Flamit
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Flamit » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:29 pm

I'm a huge Fan of Frankin Jr. High. Back in the day they were the line. Them and Vallejo Jr. High. If Franklin comes back, old staff and all...all Jr. High lines BEWARE!!! It will only be a matter of time before they become the line they use to be.

Thanks for the comments about Atwater. There are A LOT of good lines this year. It was a huge accomplishment for us. Congratulations to everyone on a great fall season.

Also we are still in discussion as to what division we will be doing. Ha, ha, ha.

Slaphappy7
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Slaphappy7 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:19 pm

Flamit wrote:I'm a huge Fan of Frankin Jr. High. Back in the day they were the line. Them and Vallejo Jr. High. If Franklin comes back, old staff and all...all Jr. High lines BEWARE!!! It will only be a matter of time before they become the line they use to be.

Thanks for the comments about Atwater. There are A LOT of good lines this year. It was a huge accomplishment for us. Congratulations to everyone on a great fall season.

Also we are still in discussion as to what division we will be doing. Ha, ha, ha.
Franklin was a great school. You can even say that they (along with Hogan) started the whole “Vallejo” Style.
If I remember Franklin still holds the record for highest score in NCBA overall (98.95 if I remember correctly)

As for the entire old staff coming back… Well, which version of it? I know a chunk of that staff is at Hogan along with some of the 2nd generation cats to come from that style. Many of the 3rd generation guys are spread about at Springstowne, Bethel and a few other places.

Nothing but love for Atwater. I have been a fan since Stan and Paul Muncy were there.

Here is something I noticed, some of the open class lines and a few others (Atwater, Hogan, Springstowne) are starting to do more WGI-esque shows. Do you think we will see the day where NCBA finally gets on board and uses WGI's style of judging and numbers? It is a fairly large circuit after all… can you image a Vallejo or Fairfield 2 day power regional? Good times man… good times.

Flamit
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Flamit » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:55 pm

When I started teaching back in 96. Hogan and Franklin were it. Those guys were holding it down. I totally agree that they did start that whole Vallejo style. It’s raw and gritty. Their attitude is ridiculous. It’s all or nothing, compete to win. I really think Dan Rey, John Michael and their students that went on and carried the torch are to thank for that.

I’ve seen all those Bay Area lines go through their ups and downs, but one thing is for sure you can never count them out. Even if they are going through a bad year, they’re still like a wounded Wolverine…Dangerous! Ha, ha, ha,

I’m not sure about the score thing, but it wouldn’t surprise me. What year was that? Not to bring up old stuff, ha, ha, ha. But when I was teaching at Weaver Jr. High we beat Franklin one time. We had been chasing them all year. It was 00 (I think) at the spring Vallejo Band review. The last parade of the year and we beat them. It was a huge accomplishment. Ha, ha, ha, much love though cause we did warm up with them at one winter show. 8 Jr. High snares playing triplet diddle clean was pretty cool. Ha, ha, ha.

As far as staff I would like to see the current Hogan staff there, it only seems right.

Thanks for the props. We try our best. I know Paul he’s a cool dude.

There are a lot of good things about the NCBA I like, but it’s still kind of old school. It has that Mom and Pops feel. Ha,ha,ha. We can all admit though, that we do have some very good judges that know exactly what they are doing and what they are talking about. They are always consistent due to their experiences in Drum Corp or WGI.(Any judge reading this for your hard work we thank you. Ha, ha, ha.) Defiantly something our circuit needs, but I honestly think that we aren’t too far off the marker of the WGI style judging or scoring, I could be wrong though. I think that eventually big change will happen, it’s already happening, if you’ve noticed the score sheets for the NCBA have changed a bit the past few years…for the better. The whole indoor drumming as a sport… as a whole is evolving each year, so I think as the music and show designs become more complex it’s defiantly going to demand and need that the change for more consistent judging and scores be in place. :sarg:

Slaphappy7
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Slaphappy7 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:06 am

Is there a list of what school is in what class (and who's let's say top 5 in each class) It'd be nice to get this all sorted out.

Oh and on top of that exactly how many classes are there in NCBA? I’d like to see what class would become A, Open and World if they went WGI style…

JenKozy
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by JenKozy » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:12 am

If I remember correctley, Percussion has less classes than guard.

Novice
Advanced
Scholastic
Open

Open being the highest class. I think I might be missing a class. Aren't there five classes?

As for class placements, NO ONE knows where they are. A list has not been sent out to schools. Very frustrating.
I am NOT too old for this!

I'd rather be Dreaming... in a tree.

pittech
Veteran
Veteran

Post by pittech » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:10 pm

JenKozy wrote:If I remember correctley, Percussion has less classes than guard.

Novice
Advanced
Scholastic
Open

Open being the highest class. I think I might be missing a class. Aren't there five classes?

As for class placements, NO ONE knows where they are. A list has not been sent out to schools. Very frustrating.
I think the class you're missing is Concert or "standstill"

To answer the placement question, I have been looking (not very hard I admit) for the placements for last years champs and I could not find them. Did they even go up to 5 placements?

If you want to think of NCBA classes as WGI classes They would end up like this I *think*

Novice and Advanced = Percussion Scholastic A (PSA)
Scholastic = Percussion Scholastic Open (PSO)
Open = Percussion Scholastic World (PSW)

Obliviously, those placements are up to debate. Some would say put Novice, Advanced AND Scholastic into PSA and Open into PSO as no one in NCBA would be ready for PSW (I disagree and can think of 2-3 schools that could hang in world in the past 3 years)

This would also mean getting rid of the middle school division and putting them in PSA (not TOO big of a deal) on the other hand SJVCGPR (a WGI affiliate) has middle school classes for their shows so *shrug*

Standstill would *possibly* have to split as well as they would have the option of Percussion Concert A, Open and World

But that’s neither here nor there.
Calvin D. Carr
Director of Music -Pixley Middle School & Pixley Elementary
http://www.pixley.k12.ca.us

Steven
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Steven » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:28 am

pittech wrote:
Obliviously, those placements are up to debate. Some would say put Novice, Advanced AND Scholastic into PSA and Open into PSO as no one in NCBA would be ready for PSW (I disagree and can think of 2-3 schools that could hang in world in the past 3 years)
Who in NCBA could hang with WGI scholastic world? I haven't seen anything from NCBA that could make a dent in that division.
Fairfield High 2007-2009
Reed High 1998-1999, 2001-2003, 2007-2008
Spanish Springs 2001-2003
Mandarins 2006-2007
Instructor – Battery

pittech
Veteran
Veteran

Post by pittech » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:39 am

Steven wrote:
pittech wrote:
Who in NCBA could hang with WGI scholastic world? I haven't seen anything from NCBA that could make a dent in that division.

Currently there is no one that can consistently hang in PSW. But there may have been select schools (and years) that might have turned a few heads.

Foothill 07 (that was the eastern winds thing right)
Fairfield last year made some decent waves in open right? Who is to say they couldn’t make the jump….
I wonder is Hogan’s Slipstream show could have made dents in PSW

Plus this season is just starting who know what’ll happen?

I’m not saying someone is just going to roll in and walk all over Logan (the only PSW in CCGC) but stranger things have happened.

WGI regionals are proof that anything can happen
Calvin D. Carr
Director of Music -Pixley Middle School & Pixley Elementary
http://www.pixley.k12.ca.us

JenKozy
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by JenKozy » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:44 am

Just like those McDonald's commercials said:

"It could happen!"

:lol:
I am NOT too old for this!

I'd rather be Dreaming... in a tree.

Flamit
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Flamit » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:56 pm

I think that probably the main setback for a lot of NCBA groups would be one word “Budget”. Other than that I think musically there are a lot of groups in the NCBA that could easily fit right in.

Slaphappy7
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Slaphappy7 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:14 pm

How many schools does NCBA have that are currently competing in WGI and doing well?

Correct me if I am wrong but Fairfield, Hogan, Springstowne and Reed (maybe) have all done well on the Regional level at the very least right?