drumline backdrops

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

phatbob2007
Rookie
Rookie

drumline backdrops

Post by phatbob2007 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:43 pm

Hey i was just wondering where can i buy some foam core pannels to use as backdrops for drumline, i see them being used by alot of grops but i cannot seem to find them. thanks for your help
Benicia High Panther Band c/o 07 ToR Parade 2005
07-Current SJDC section leader / principal horn
07-08 Lincoln High (Stockton) Staff
08-Current Inderkum Music Staff
08-Current Tokay DL Co-Caption Head/ Marching Instructor

8-ball
Veteran
Veteran

Re: drumline backdrops

Post by 8-ball » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:26 pm

Home Depot or Lowes is where I have bought it in the past...

It is foam insulation. You should probably tape up the sides with duct tape to help it last longer...just a suggestion.

Happy hunting!

curios0811
Rookie
Rookie

Post by curios0811 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:46 pm

if you get those boards with canvas, stick the canvas with adhesive spray. Then paint over that, it looks really sharp
Yo

JenKozy
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by JenKozy » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:25 am

Home Depot and Lowes. Like 8-Ball said, you can find them in the insulation asile. They are 8'x4'. Really easy and light. They do chip easily, and you have to use a few coats of paint if you want them painted. Duct tape will hold them together for a while, but you will have to reapply it after a few uses.

Hope that helps!
I am NOT too old for this!

I'd rather be Dreaming... in a tree.

redbeard
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by redbeard » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:17 pm

Dittoto those above. Lowes/Home depot. 3/4" size works fine. Make sure it is not asbestos lined!
If you are making a 2 board hinge, I strongly suggest you duct tape the edges all the way around. Then, place the boards side by side and create your "hinge" by puting one strip all the way down, followed by one side to both the rightside and left side of the hinge. Stand them up, fold them together and tape the back side of the hinge. This method will last for years. I have also used paint and fabric to cover the boards. I don't recommend taping the entire sides though. Too heavy!

I've seen some great creativity also with patterns cut from the boards. I think 4 or 5 years ago Petaluma or California H.S. did an I spy type of show with some cool backdrops.

thunderdrmz
Rookie
Rookie

Post by thunderdrmz » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:20 pm

I've always used 2"x2" wood, created a frame and fastened painters canvas to them. They last a long time and can take more pounding during transporting them to and from comps and are also not that heavy. My set is on their 3rd year and will last many more. I just repaint them every season and they work like a charm.
Rhythm is my business, rhythm is what I sell