Foothill Predictions

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

backtobasics05
New Recruit
New Recruit

Foothill Predictions

Post by backtobasics05 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:28 am

Any opinions about who's going to win this weekend at Foothill? I think it's going to be the first test for the percussions this year since everyone is going to be there. My money is on Bethel or Rodriguez...
Looking forward to seein some lines turn it up this year...

Slaphappy7
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: Foothill Predictions

Post by Slaphappy7 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:21 am

If Bethel can get spit clean they will be in the house.
I've heard nothing but good things from Rodriguez
Benicia and Vallejo could also sneek up and take it.

Hey, where's Hogan at?

Follow us on twitter and friend us on Facebook!

http://twitter.com/SFRenegades

http://www.facebook.com/SanFranciscoRenegades

Flamit
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Flamit » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:28 pm

Yea where is Hogan? What's up with Granite Bay? Where have they been? I've seen some videos of them on YouTube. They sound pretty aggressive this year.

JB won at Santa Cruz, good job guys. We won last year it would have been fun to go up against you. You guys can work on clarity a little. No ones baggin on you guys, any one that knows your guy’s history knows you guys can step it up a notch.

Rodriguez, is that the school Ed Cloyd is at?

This year seems like it’s going to be a good one. A lot of schools are about the same level. Everyone is going back and forth. I think GV has the highest score for street this season. Give’s something for everyone to shoot for.

lostchops
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by lostchops » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:41 pm

Flamit wrote:Yea where is Hogan? What's up with Granite Bay? Where have they been? I've seen some videos of them on YouTube. They sound pretty aggressive this year.

JB won at Santa Cruz, good job guys. We won last year it would have been fun to go up against you. You guys can work on clarity a little. No ones baggin on you guys, any one that knows your guy’s history knows you guys can step it up a notch.

Rodriguez, is that the school Ed Cloyd is at?

This year seems like it’s going to be a good one. A lot of schools are about the same level. Everyone is going back and forth. I think GV has the highest score for street this season. Give’s something for everyone to shoot for.
Although you're right. I do think that scores are only subjective, so you can't really compare scores from competition to competition. Just my opinion.

Sirsplitalot
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Sirsplitalot » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:18 pm

i think whoever said bethel will win if theyre clean is right..but 7 snares? good luck...i think theyll lose if thos snares cant play play clean, cuz gavin is a stickler for dirty snare beats...i mean who isnt lol...itll be between benicia and rodriguez i think? good luck to everyone though!

backtobasics05
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by backtobasics05 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:45 pm

There you go... I think splitsalot is right... Bethel make sure your snares are clean or all that nice drill and the numbers won't make a difference. Coming from a newly made fan I hope they pull it off. The lines in NCBA have fell off the past few years, but if what I hear about this staff's experience is true i think that these kids could definitely help NCBA catch up to the other circuits like WGI in percussion. It's time that NCBA sees what a real BIG percussion looks like. IF you guys get those snares clean then I think that they could possibly be the ones to show NCBA just that. Who knows (and I'm obviously reaching here) Bethel if clean could probably to some damage in WGI too depending on their show design. That's far ahead though, this weekend is what this thread is about and I think it WILL be between rodriguez and Benicia, IF Bethel can't get those snares clean.

Sirsplitalot
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Sirsplitalot » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:31 pm

i like you backtobasics...BUT....i think ur really reacing with the JB to wgi thing..wgi is very sophisticated and i dont think NCBA shows will ever win in WGI until we ALL get some money...cuz you not only have to win with clean beats...but its all about show design you know....ANYWAYS....backtobasics has a good outlook on the overall percussion seen instead of one line...where u from?

Che!
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Che! » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:49 pm

Flamit wrote: Rodriguez, is that the school Ed Cloyd is at?
I think 2 of their staff members did Blue Devils B corps this summer. I remember seeing them at DCI West, other than that i don't know who else is there.

bighud1
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by bighud1 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:53 am

I am excited to see all these lines I keep reading about. I have seen Granite Bay and know they are a great line but I don't see them even getting mentioned as having a chance. What time do these schools go on at night?I know Rodriguez got beat by Granite Bay and Folsom at Del Oro but I wasn't there so I can't wait to see all these line play 8-10 minutes of some kick but beats on the field.Do they have great bands to back them up on the field as well. This will be my first comp. this year and I am very excited about a seven man snare line.

backtobasics05
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by backtobasics05 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:24 am

Well bighud to answer your question these are actually street competitions we're talking about. These go on in the morning and early afternoon, but in the winter they have comps in gyms and arenas like the other circuits. NCBA does have field at some of these competitions but they are mostly nowhere near the calibur of the bigger circuits like WBA. To answer splitsalot I used to drum for Lincoln in Stockton, and moved to the bay area a few years ago for school. I'm really just a well educated fan who's been to WGI finals a few times. Thas pretty much all there is to it. I know a few people that teach at some lines in NCBA and stuff. I agree about your comment about money in the wgi lines but that's not always the case. Last year at WGI finals there was a low budget line from SoCal that competed with an extremely small 3 snare, two tenor, 4 basses line, that was so musically and visually impressive they took the bronze in the world division at finals. All they had was one long backdrop in the background with a pretty plain floor. So don't always count out the poor guy

bighud1
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by bighud1 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:44 am

So then this should be "Foothill Street Predictions" because I know what lines do on the street is very cool and some great things go on there but when I see the best line is going to be such and such schools and you are not mentioning the field I think you need to make it clear that you are talking about the street only. Being a Drum Corps guy I still have to say for my taste the field is a much better display for talent in a 8-10 minute arena.Don't get me wrong, I love what the lines do on the street but the lack of coverage for the field really shocks me. I have done both field and parades and I enjoyed the field %100 more than the street.As far as the winter shows, I think it's all about the show and not the money. I have seen many shows in NCBA as good as WGI and I have seen a lot more money spent thn most WGI lines with a show that does not even come close. So as a Guy who has won many WGI Ind. medals, just create a good show and put a lot of thought into what you are writting.

backtobasics05
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by backtobasics05 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:08 pm

Well said. Sorry bout that, you are correct about what i should've named the thread. I'm not sure even if there is a field show comp at Foothill. Just to put it out there is a percussion field comp at Vintage in Napa on nov 8th. Anyway how bout we get back to the street predictions...

gumba

Post by gumba » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:22 pm

I understand this weekend is very important because most of the lines that placed top 4 so far will be there. I just hope whoever judges will actually give credit to Execution not Attempt.
just make drumming as easy as it is....

Flamit
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Flamit » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:29 pm

You wont find a judge if any that give credit to attempt...I've learned that lesson. Ha, ha, ha.

redbeard
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by redbeard » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:46 pm

That was a funny comment Flamit :rotf:
I'm thinking attempt has to fall in there with difficulty and execution somewhere.
(Looks like someone is a bit bitter about the past! .............Just a thought :lol: )
I still think your winter show was good.
Also, just to clarify. The field comp. mentioned earlier was about the full band program contest at night and not the rare on field percussion comp. that happens at Napa. I haven't seen or heard any of the lines live this year. I'll have to catch a show soon.