Foothill Predictions

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

lostchops
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: Foothill Predictions

Post by lostchops » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:44 pm

I love the concert percussion field comp at napa. I wish they had that at other reviews besides vintage. Haha or maybe that would be overkill for the drumlines since there is already a street competition

JenKozy
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by JenKozy » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:13 pm

NCBA reviews with Field Show Comps:

Cupertino
Del Oro
Foothill
Folsom (field only! Whoot!)
CCBR- Merced
Napa
Fairfield/Stockton
Champs

I might be missing a few. Field show is alive and well... and I give mad props to the field show lines. 8-10 minutes of show is impressive, not to mention, a full front ensemble to boot! I think some of you might be suprised if you stuck around to watch the field lines at some of these comps. Just a thought.
I am NOT too old for this!

I'd rather be Dreaming... in a tree.

aLL your BASS
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by aLL your BASS » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:58 pm

JenKozy wrote:NCBA reviews with Field Show Comps:

Cupertino
Del Oro
Foothill
Folsom (field only! Whoot!)
CCBR- Merced
Napa
Fairfield/Stockton
Champs

I might be missing a few. Field show is alive and well... and I give mad props to the field show lines. 8-10 minutes of show is impressive, not to mention, a full front ensemble to boot! I think some of you might be suprised if you stuck around to watch the field lines at some of these comps. Just a thought.
I think lostchops is referring to the standing percussion that they hold at Vintage. The competition in Newman held one as well when...I believe Orestimba High??? held the band review there in fall (sometimes their competition date would end up the same day as Foothill's depending on how many Saturdays there were in October).
snuh, guh, munch...NYEAH! =)

backtobasics05
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by backtobasics05 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:57 am

Speaking on bitterness it seems like Gumba is still a little bitter bout leavin a certain school behind as well. Anyway we've gotten a little bit off topic so how's about we get back to the predictions, and leave the rest of the stuff to PMs or a new thread...
Looking forward to seein some lines turn it up this year...

Flamit
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Flamit » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:17 am

Redbeard I’m not bitter at all. Last year is water under the bridge. I was happy with how my group performed most of the year. Ha, ha, ha. Sometimes that’s all you have.

As far as my comment…well my little brother writes our shows and they are always pretty demanding. Through my past experiences I’ve just noticed (for “US” any way) if we don’t execute well we don’t place well. Which I totally agree with. I would never expect my group to win if they didn’t perform well. So I do agree with Gumba to a certain extent. Execution is important and should defiantly outweigh Attempt, but attempt with just a little dirty should get a bone every once in awhile. And my group has so I cant complain. Ha, ha, ha. When I think of Attempt the phrase “Just add Water” comes to mind.

Yoda said it best “Try or Try Not, Do or Do Not. There is no Try! Ha, ha, ha.

I know, I know :ot: :ot:

Sirsplitalot
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Sirsplitalot » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:56 pm

i agree, i think when beats cant be clean, its usually time for water. it might depend on the instructor though. i used to b ok with attempts, but i have graduated to clean or nothing. i think u get the 'attempts' points when you actually execute....good luck to everyone this weekend!

JenKozy
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by JenKozy » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:07 pm

I do find it funny, (no offense) that backtobasics doesn't think that any of the NCBA field bands can hang with the WBA folks, yet doesn't even know that there is a field comp at Foothill. There has been field show at Foothill for as long as I can remember... which goes WAY back before the year 2000.

But since this thread does say Foothill Predictions... Not Foothill STREET predictions, I think people should be giving some love to the field lines. Of course, this is NCBA and as we all know, it's street or nothing in this circuit. At least some of us know better! :nenr: To say the BEST LINE in NCBA is a street competitor, and not ever having actually watched any of the field show lines, (who, BTW, do VERY well in winter... ahem. Amature and Scholastic class champions last winter won by field only lines), is a very uninformed prediction.
I am NOT too old for this!

I'd rather be Dreaming... in a tree.

backtobasics05
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by backtobasics05 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:10 am

Well, let me apologize about my comment and rephrase, "It is MY opinion that MOST of the NCBA BANDS (not lines) on the FIELD cannot hang with the AAAA and AAAAA bands in WBA." Alot of band directors in NCBA agree with me on this subject as well. This is not a shot at NCBA lines at all, I love NCBA but this is just my opinion, and oh no I didn't know that there was a field show comp at Foothill therefore all of my comments are null and void (seriously!?) If we're going to be all "tit for tat" then we need to put those comments in PMs please... Peace... That is all. :ot: :ot: lol...

Calm down everyone these are just extracurricular activities to keep kids out of trouble. They aren't about us or the people on these forums. All that it is about are the kids and we really shouldn't be taking comments on these forums THAT seriously. Opinions on here don't and shouldn't sway scores in any way, so if you have a problem or something with a comment on the forum then go out there and work with the group you rooting for or instruct for and make sure they take care of business. That way you'll shut everyone up that's saying something you don't like on these forums. "Let your music speak for you" as my old band director once said...
Looking forward to seein some lines turn it up this year...

redbeard
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by redbeard » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:09 am

Street: Golden Valley or Granite Bay if there.
GB had a smoking hot Winter line lat year.
Field: Homestead or McQueen.

Foothill has had a show for years. I marched it in 1985-88 and have had groups there from 92 on. Usually a huge show with a lot of out of town guests. They've had Logan, some so. cal. bands, Nevada groups and even a group form Idaho.
So, could be an out of towner surprise for first in street and field this year. :yeah:

Powerhouse08
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Powerhouse08 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:04 pm

so what were the scores for foothill? who came out on top?
Atwater High School 04-09
music arranger/visual design/snare tech
Merced High School 09-12
music arranger/visual design/Percussion Caption Head
Golden Valley High School 12-?

tao707
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tao707 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:23 am

rodriguez got first, vallejo second

BleacherButt
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by BleacherButt » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:27 am

Top ten percussion scores for Foothill Street Percussion.

Nice job Rodriguez and Vallejo. I saw that one of Benicia's bass players forgot his mallets. :shock:

Percussion (Top 10)
87.5 Rodriguez
86.7 Vallejo
86.5 Benicia
86.3 Jesse Bethel
85.7 Fairfield
84.6 Vanden
82.7 Vintage
82.6 Mt. Eden
76.5 Granite Bay
75.5 Antioch

Powerhouse08
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Powerhouse08 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:42 pm

so anyone got any videos up from foothill?
Atwater High School 04-09
music arranger/visual design/snare tech
Merced High School 09-12
Golden Valley High School 12-?

vintagecrusher
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by vintagecrusher » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:58 pm

i still dont know why vintage is the only review that hosts field concert percussion..... anybody know why?

Bakensobek707
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Bakensobek707 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:43 pm

Well going back to a previous question...

"Where is Hogan?"

Well, Hogan High School is located just minutes away from my house, and is on Georgia Street In Vallejo, California.
BHS Rose Parade Jan. 1st 05
BHS Hawaii Invitational Spring 08
CSU Long Beach School of Biology w/ option in Premed
CSU Long Beach Bachelors in Music w/ option in Composition