Santa Cruz Band Review

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

backtobasics05
New Recruit
New Recruit

Santa Cruz Band Review

Post by backtobasics05 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:50 am

I heard Benicia didn't come out for Santa Cruz. Does anyone know where they were that day? I also heard Jesse Bethel won...!? Did anyone see the drumlines that day, any thoughts??
Looking forward to seein some lines turn it up this year...

Blindman
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Santa Cruz Band Review

Post by Blindman » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:17 am

[EDIT]

Videos will be taken down at the request of instructional staffs. They will be reposted towards the end of the season.
Last edited by Blindman on Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Powerhouse08
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Powerhouse08 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:15 am

Well, GV got disqualified for not having forward motion at one point in their show. I think they would have ended up getting second. They had an 88.5. Jesse Bethel had an 89.5.
Atwater High School 04-09
music arranger/visual design/snare tech
Merced High School 09-12
music arranger/visual design/Percussion Caption Head
Golden Valley High School 12-?

Blindman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Blindman » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:42 am

They would have placed fourth actually. If they had not gotten disqualified, the recaps would have ended up like this:

89.50 Jesse Bethel
89.40 Vallejo
89.00 Franklin (Elk Grove)
88.50 Golden Valley [If not DQed]
88.00 Elk Grove
87.00 Vanden
84.00 Antioch

But the day ended up in this fashion:

89.50 Jesse Bethel
89.40 Vallejo
89.00 Franklin (Elk Grove)
88.00 Elk Grove
87.00 Vanden
84.00 Antioch

Sirsplitalot
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Sirsplitalot » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:04 pm

At the del oro show this was the recap: (this was held the day of the santa cruz show)

1. Rodriguez 91
2. Granite bay 90.5
3. Fairfield 89

backtobasics05
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by backtobasics05 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:22 pm

Uhoh... rodriguez beat out fairfield... the tides have turned. Seems like foothill on saturday is going to be very interesting. Where has benicia's drumline been. they're band has performed but not the percussion. is the program ok? If they dont show up, then looks like its between Rodriguez, Bethel, nd Vallejo on saturday at foothill.

Slaphappy7
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Slaphappy7 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:10 pm

Sirsplitalot wrote:At the del oro show this was the recap: (this was held the day of the santa cruz show)

1. Rodriguez 91
2. Granite bay 90.5
3. Fairfield 89
Who judged at del oro?

Follow us on twitter and friend us on Facebook!

http://twitter.com/SFRenegades

http://www.facebook.com/SanFranciscoRenegades

Powerhouse08
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Powerhouse08 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:36 pm

wooooooow.....so i just saw the video of Jesse Bethel from Santa Cruz, and i must say.....they were veeeeeery dirty in my opinion. 7 snares is waaaaaay too many for these guys. Their book wasnt even that hard and it was dirty. no bueno man....no bueno...
Merced High School 09-12

RenoSteven
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by RenoSteven » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:34 pm

Powerhouse08 wrote:wooooooow.....so i just saw the video of Jesse Bethel from Santa Cruz, and i must say.....they were veeeeeery dirty in my opinion.
They look good to me.
Fairfield percussion arranger/staff/drill design 07-08
Reed percussion arranger/staff 07-08

Blindman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Blindman » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:43 pm

Powerhouse08 wrote:wooooooow.....so i just saw the video of Jesse Bethel from Santa Cruz, and i must say.....they were veeeeeery dirty in my opinion. 7 snares is waaaaaay too many for these guys. Their book wasnt even that hard and it was dirty. no bueno man....no bueno...
Is it just me, or does anyone else taste "bitter" in the air?

Personally, I do think that no one had a clean run that day... No idea what happened, but it just wasn't the day for drumline, still most performances were decent considering the brainfarts and missed execution.

Powerhouse08
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Powerhouse08 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:49 pm

why would i be bitter? it was my opinion. I wasnt competing. My group wasnt competing. No one i knew was competing. I just said they sounded very dirty.
Merced High School 09-12

Slaphappy7
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Slaphappy7 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:53 pm

Powerhouse08 wrote:why would i be bitter? it was my opinion. I wasnt competing. My group wasnt competing. No one i knew was competing. I just said they sounded very dirty.

And for the sake of argument, which groups are you affiliated with?

Follow us on twitter and friend us on Facebook!

http://twitter.com/SFRenegades

http://www.facebook.com/SanFranciscoRenegades

lostchops
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by lostchops » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:51 pm

JB Wow. JBHS, All I can say is wow. :shock: I like the song you guys are playing though.

backtobasics05
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by backtobasics05 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:02 pm

I just watched bethel's video and I'm not sure what that guys talkin about. They're music was just as challenging as everything else i've heard so far this season, nd for that being their first performance and all, they were surprisingly good. I don't know who their new staff is but it seems like the bethel that was impressive years ago may be returning this year. Of course it is pretty early in the year, but at the moment i think they have made a fan out of me... Clean it up some more and keep that drill solid and i think they could become the first fall champs. Again this is MY opinion and it is still early in the season. but who knows maybe rodriguez is the line to beat this season and not bethel...
Last edited by backtobasics05 on Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blindman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Blindman » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:24 pm

Slaphappy7 wrote:
Powerhouse08 wrote:why would i be bitter? it was my opinion. I wasnt competing. My group wasnt competing. No one i knew was competing. I just said they sounded very dirty.

And for the sake of argument, which groups are you affiliated with?
Good point. I'm interested to hear who you're affiliated with, as well. Just through some observation, you seem to post a number of replies about Golden Valley. Also, Golden Valley's percussion score was not released on the recap sheet. That could mean a couple of things, like you had access to their adjudication sheet, which means you're affiliated with them somehow, or you made the score up. Of course, that's just my opinion. In any case, whether you are affiliated with them or not, you are not representing them well at this point.

Also, if you were wondering as well, I am not affiliated with any percussion units. I just find it irritating when people post up disrespectful comments. It would have been one thing if it was a "critique with helpful commentary", but when it's just downright disrespecting a group, then you should keep it to yourself.

On another note, this year has been quite interesting for street percussion. It seems like a couple of lines have stepped up and a couple of lines have faltered a bit. I won't really know for sure until I see them for myself on October 25th at the NCBA Foothill Band Review, so I'm excited to see what all these drumlines have to offer this year during the fall and the potential they have for the winter season.