Field Marimba / Vibes

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

zookie
New Recruit
New Recruit

Field Marimba / Vibes

Post by zookie » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:16 pm

Hello, all. I am looking to purchase a field marimba and field vibes this year for my school and was wondering in your humble opinions, what brand/models are (1) best sounding, (2) most durable, and (3) project the most (we are not doing any amplification this year).

My impressions so far are that I like the Musser synthetic over the Yamaha for the warmth of the sound and it seems like in the past, the Yamaha's sound holes drilled in the bars would fill up with gunk (night practice moisture). We've also got a pretty far trek from band room to the field so I am pushing for all-terrain wheels.

Thoughts?

Mark Stone
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Field Marimba / Vibes

Post by Mark Stone » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:19 pm

Yamaha...not only for the quality of the instrument, but the strength of the frame and product support from the local Yamaha people.
Mark Stone, Ayala High School

perc2100
Veteran
Veteran

Post by perc2100 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:15 pm

The Musser field frames are probably the worst: they are VERY antiquated! I was shocked when a school I was working with part time got a brand new Musser marimba and the frame was not good compared with the Adams and Yamaha.

The Adams are good, though probably the most expensive. I would recommend Yamaha, as their new field frames are INCREDIBLE! The Independent percussion group I teach in the winter has their stuff, and I can't say enough how much I like them. Their frames are so easy to work with/mount stuff on, and the frame noise is minimal. Not only that, but the sound of the keys is also great.

I have very minimal experience with Dynasty keyboard stuff, but from what I've seen they are still better than the Musser keys. In fact, I would rate the Musser keys at the bottom of the competition, with Yamaha at the top for durability, sound, and price. After Yamaha I'd say Adams is a (VERY) close second (but pricy), Dynasty, and Musser.

perc2100
Veteran
Veteran

Post by perc2100 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:17 pm

Mark Stone wrote:Yamaha...not only for the quality of the instrument, but the strength of the frame and product support from the local Yamaha people.
I forgot that in my post. The Yamaha guys who support both WGI and the local So Cal. winter percussion shows, are extremely helpful in the lot with groups using their products. I've seen them be just as helpful and outgoing with their endorsed lines as they are with the average-joe high school lines who pay full price for the gear. The guys are Yamaha are great guys, and go well above and beyond to help their customers.

BDinkel
Veteran
Veteran

Post by BDinkel » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:25 am

I am going to join the chorus here and also suggest Yamaha... especially if you have a difficult schlep. If you had an old Acoustalon, I think you would be plenty surprised with how much they have improved over the years. The finish no longer chips like it used to, and the frames are the most sturdy on the market.

I also have to give a shoutout to the new Dynasty gear. They have made huge improvements to their frames, as well as the quality of the rosewood keys - they are really making some quality stuff now.

zookie
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by zookie » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:54 pm

Wow. Thanks for the responses, people. Very helpful. Thankfully, I've got a hook up at Yamaha so that'll probably the route that I go. I'm just so glad to see that people are pleased with Yamaha equipment.