Major Surgery?

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

Chapagne
Veteran
Veteran

Major Surgery?

Post by Chapagne » Fri May 16, 2008 6:20 am

I've got a set of old quads. They appear to have some kind of fiberglass shell and are the kind where the shell curves out at the bottom in an attempt to send the sound forward. It makes the drums look really clunky, like something out of a Blue Man Group set. Plus, they're heavy.

I want to cut the shells at the point where they start to curve. We can always get those deflectors they sell now, which would provide the same effect, but with much less weight. The cut will be at least an inch below the point where any hardware attaches to the shells.

Thoughts? Can this be safely done? Will I ruin the drums?
"The conductor of an orchestra doesn't make a sound. He depends for his power on his ability to make other people powerful." - Benjamin Zander

thunderdrmz
Rookie
Rookie

Post by thunderdrmz » Fri May 16, 2008 8:06 am

not sure about the sound quality or value of the drums but you have something fairly rare.

I can only speculate on the age of the drums but if I were you I'd save my pennies and get a real set of tenors. You also don't know how they will sound. You could rack the fibes and put them in the pit.

Good luck
Rhythm is my business, rhythm is what I sell

Chapagne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chapagne » Fri May 16, 2008 9:59 am

Hmm...not sure of the manufacturer. There was an "S" sticker with a kind of snake on it on the front. Slingerland?
"The conductor of an orchestra doesn't make a sound. He depends for his power on his ability to make other people powerful." - Benjamin Zander

Brad
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Brad » Fri May 16, 2008 10:08 am

Sounds more like the North drums, ala Blue Devils in the 70's. I wouldn't try to cut them, but you might sell them on eBay and use the money to buy modern tenors.
Be good to your friends
Be good to strangers
be good to yourself

drumcoachdan

Post by drumcoachdan » Fri May 16, 2008 10:38 am

stingray. I believe the drums are stingray. Sound Machine used to have these drums before they ordered their pearls.
Daniel Gervais
Percussion Instructor

cymtech
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cymtech » Fri May 16, 2008 11:56 am

cutting fiberglass is kinda dangerous...

BDinkel
Veteran
Veteran

Post by BDinkel » Fri May 16, 2008 6:52 pm

Not only is it highly likely that you'll crack those fiberglass shells if you attempt to cut them, the improvement in the quality of sound produced by those drums wouldn't be anywhere worth the amount of time and effort you put into doing it.

They belong in a museum, not on the field or street. Show me a marching drum with poorer quality than the old Stingray stuff, and I'll be very surprised.

Chapagne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chapagne » Sat May 17, 2008 9:41 pm

I never intended to do it myself.

What museum might be interested? I'm a sucker for old stuff, so I don't think I'll go through with the planned operation. I don't think we would save that much weight anyway. The rims and hardware are all metal and pretty beefy.

Found lots of info on Stingray here. These drums aren't that old:
http://edrumline.com/articles/drumline- ... percussion

SkyDog
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by SkyDog » Sun May 18, 2008 8:44 pm

BDinkel wrote:Show me a marching drum with poorer quality than the old Stingray stuff, and I'll be very surprised.
Early Stingray stuff was actually pretty sturdy. I didn't care for the sound and the drums were way too damn heavy, but the build quality actually wasn't bad. Later versions of their drums had some really poorly redesigned components, though. Their revised lug casing design was particularly bad and failed often under typical marching drum tuning.

You can tell whether you've got older or newer Stringray tenors by looking at the lug casings. If they're all metal, you've probably got the old (better) version. If the lug casings have plastic covers or inserts, you've got the newer (#$%&) version.

Personally, I'd probably put 'em on a stand and use them as a practice set.

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bandmaster » Sun May 18, 2008 10:39 pm

If it looks like the old gelcoat was red then they might be the Sound Machine's old drums. I sold them to the Home School Patriots who were based up in the high desert back in 1997. Yes, they were a little on the heavy side but our tenors players liked them. Ike Jackson, instructor at Ayala HS used to play them, ask him about it. I liked their sound projection off the field and the fact they were tuned slightly lower than standard tenors. I got tired of tenors sounding high like snares without the buzz. We had very few problems with the tenors, but the snares were another story... But hey, how can you turn down free drums?

Sound Machine promo shot for StringRay back in 1992
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

Chapagne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chapagne » Mon May 19, 2008 3:29 pm

I think you nailed it. We bought the quad (plus a matching snare and bass) from a group that was folding up in Barstow. They weren't free, but they were reaaaaaally cheap.