ADLA Champs

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

cymtech
Veteran
Veteran

ADLA Champs

Post by cymtech » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:19 pm

So all the scores from San Gorgornio are posted on www.americandrumline.org and the final lineups for champs are posted as well.

I have seen so much improvement from a lot of groups throughout the year and i look forward to everyone doing great at championships.

Who are you excited to see? Who has impressed you this year?

:bruce:

Icarus
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Icarus » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:40 pm

Good luck to the 100+ drumlines this weekend.

It should be epic...

I'm extremely excited to see everyone out there performing...
Carpe Diem

Summit HS -Instructor

VTejeda
Rookie
Rookie

Post by VTejeda » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:57 pm

i was excited... lol idk i really don feel it anymore everything was going up hill then winter started and it kept climbing and kept climbing then we ran into sum speed bumps (not with our line) and weve just not been getting our way so we shall see how things go this coming weekend :)

and a special good luck to Garfield Independent!

Good Luck Everyone!
"Trust the one who plants the seed, if there wasnt a planter then what would u be?"

curios0811
Rookie
Rookie

Post by curios0811 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:01 pm

Im really mad at this year with the association. I dont say much on this thing anymore but wow....this year wow. I have a group that got a 302 in music one week, then one week later we get a 268????!!!! And we had a better performance!!!!!!!!! Sad to say but this will most likely be my last year with ADLA!!!
Yo

perc2100
Veteran
Veteran

Post by perc2100 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:24 pm

curios0811 wrote:Im really mad at this year with the association. I dont say much on this thing anymore but wow....this year wow. I have a group that got a 302 in music one week, then one week later we get a 268????!!!! And we had a better performance!!!!!!!!! Sad to say but this will most likely be my last year with ADLA!!!
I can say the EXACT same thing with WGI (minus the exact score, but you get the idea). That kind of thing happens everywhere. It could be a judge's first read, it could be you're against harder competition, etc.
I guarantee that judging inconsistencies, judge issues, etc. will exist in EVERY circuit, in some circuits even more due to the fact that there is not a consistent pool of judges in some circuits, and you can go an entire season and have first reads from every judge at shows!
Not to mention I've gotten HORRENDOUS inconsistent comments from DCI Hall of Fame judges who judged prelims/finals at a WGI Regional and TOTALLY misremembered a performance from one day to the next. It was a frustrating, but when you're dealing with human beings, it happens.
Such is a fact of life in the world of adjudication...

Incognito
New Recruit
New Recruit

Here is a thought

Post by Incognito » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:02 pm

Hello fellow musician, educators, and fans. The following is just my thoughts and my point of view on this subject. Everyone is allowed to voice their opinion and I would like to contribute to this subject.

What if there were no judges? Would you still be doing what you are doing? I know it is a competitive sport and I know there are things such as scores and trophies. What happen to the art of music and performance? I know that I am fortunate I had instructors that cared enough to give us the opportunities to perform. The fact that we were on the floor or field was an accomplishment in itself.

If you don't know by now, I am the founder of Incognito and The Music Life Foundation. If you follow us through the years, we don't place well at any competitions in all circuits. We always do something out of the ordinary. However, we do our best to perform with what we have. We really enjoy being there with the best of the best. The point for us is we are grateful there are places for us to perform and share our music.

I'm not here to preach, but we have to remember where we come from. There was a time we didn't how to read music or how to approach an instrument. Someone took the time to teach us and because of the love of music, we are where we are today.

What I love about watching great groups like RCC, Ayala, Fountain Valley, South Hills, and so on... is how much they love to perform! I love having my group watch the ensembles from the Junior divisions to World Divisions. There is so much depth being taught by everyone. The only constant we have throughout the different programs is the performance. You can see it on their faces. People want to perform and we can see it. It is too bad that some of us seek "approval" from judges to know if we are good or not. I just love to hear the audience cheer and the smiles we put on people.

I love hearing the judges comments and talking to them in critique. A lot of them have been doing this for a long time and they have the power to change and mold the future of the sport. Because of their comments, we strive to have a better show. Yes it is true not all comments are to your liking but that is up to you to take that critcism.

In closing, we all do different things and the one thing we do have is the music. Please don't forget why we are doing this. Opportunities for everyone around and let's have some fun performing this weekend.

I'll be there both days to cheer you guys on. Let's rock!

-Tony T Nguyen (Incognitus)
It's not about who's playing, it's about the music.

http://www.IncognitoDBC.org

mortonious

Post by mortonious » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:11 pm

Amen, Tony!

VTejeda
Rookie
Rookie

Post by VTejeda » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:55 pm

WORD!!! to Curios0811

and

Perc 2100 dude ive never seen it this bad till this year... if they knew how it was done the scores would be fairly consistent... and if the score went down and u had a better show then the last time it should have been fairly relevant to the last score... if not higher. last year in ADLA... nufff said
"Trust the one who plants the seed, if there wasnt a planter then what would u be?"

perc2100
Veteran
Veteran

Post by perc2100 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:30 am

Cheese Dachuta wrote:Perc 2100 dude ive never seen it this bad till this year... if they knew how it was done the scores would be fairly consistent... and if the score went down and u had a better show then the last time it should have been fairly relevant to the last score... if not higher. last year in ADLA... nufff said
I understand what you're saying, but based on what you're saying I would never take a group to ADLA, SCPA, WGI, DCI, WBA, or SCSBOA. I've had judge consistency issues with EVERY circuit I've ever taken groups to: it's just a fact of the activity, and there are a lot of people who think that just because Scott Johnson or Ralph Hardimon are a judge in a particular circuit that judge consistency issues will magically go away, when in fact that's not the case.

BDinkel
Veteran
Veteran

Post by BDinkel » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:19 am

Honestly, how can you expect judging consistency?

Are the performances of your group and every other group consistent from day to day?! No.

The only way to get true judging consistency is to have judges look at each groups prior score before they write down a new one. I don't want that... each performance is a new competition.

When it comes down to it though, I'm going to trust the score and ranking I receive from a DCI/WGI hall of famer over the score I receive from some other weekend warrior judge who doesn't teach/participate in this activity for a living, other than judging on weekends for 2 months in one region. At least I know when I see Scott Johnson in the stands judging that he has been judging shows nationwide all season long, and he was present at the WGI Judges Meetings every year... not to mention the credibility he has from teaching one of the best groups in the world for the last 30 years or so.

Going from a 300 to a 268 or something might not necessarily mean your group did 32 points worse... I might mean that everyone else was so much better that your score no longer seemed like a 300. It's all subjective, its all relative. It could just mean the first group on that day set the bar low, and everyone's number is being based on that.

ronnie
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by ronnie » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:17 am

curios0811 wrote:Im really mad at this year with the association. I dont say much on this thing anymore but wow....this year wow. I have a group that got a 302 in music one week, then one week later we get a 268????!!!! And we had a better performance!!!!!!!!! Sad to say but this will most likely be my last year with ADLA!!!
Steve......you shouldn't be talking like this, especially when you represent La Sierra. Some shows are good one day, and others are not.

Teever
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Teever » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:52 pm

BDinkel wrote:Honestly, how can you expect judging consistency?

When it comes down to it though, I'm going to trust the score and ranking I receive from a DCI/WGI hall of famer over the score I receive from some other weekend warrior judge who doesn't teach/participate in this activity for a living, other than judging on weekends for 2 months in one region. . .
(With all due respect to Scott Johnson)
Some of us who have done this successfully for 30+ years have a real job and are happy to give our free (away from our families) time to support the activity. Yes, some are more consistent than others - pretty much everywhere.

Tcbdrummer
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Tcbdrummer » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:11 pm

I think the original intent of the thread was to be about championships and not "bash the circuit". With that said lets just all go out do the best we can as either performers or instructors. While points are great and trophies are cool, this activity is not about that. As an instructor I tend to see it more as a vehicle to build much more responsible young adults. So with that said, the groups I look forward to seeing are all the ones I get a chance to see. As a judge in the association, who also instructs in the activity, I enjoy the opportunity I get to sit and watch every one these fine young men and women pour their hearts and souls out on to the floor for those 6 mins. Good luck to everyone this weekend.

Mike Lloyd
South Torrance HS Percussion Theater
Director
St. Anthony HS Band Director
Pro Mark Educational Endorser

VTejeda
Rookie
Rookie

Post by VTejeda » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:09 pm

just a fyi our show has been pretty good with last saturday being the best and the lowest score??? and ive seen the other shows... pretty slow and borring and marching horns with dirty feet and they arent even playing??? yeah doesnt make sense...

tSz42

Post by tSz42 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:05 pm

Cheese Dachuta wrote:just a fyi our show has been pretty good with last saturday being the best and the lowest score??? and ive seen the other shows... pretty slow and borring and marching horns with dirty feet and they arent even playing??? yeah doesnt make sense...
If by "our show," you mean La Sierra HS? From quickly going over your scores, I don't see what the problem is. It has been said over and over again on these forums that you can't look at the scores between shows. Just because you scored a 79.6 at your first show and scoring a 76.5 at this latest show doesn't show much.

With the schools you went up against in your shows only one surpassed you in terms of placement. All the others were either ahead of you or you never went up against them. Maybe it was your best show, but it may have also been other schools' best show as well. Or maybe your show was "pretty slow and borring with dirty feet and weren't playing."

Everyone is so concentrated on numbers between shows, but you need to look at your placement.