Pi controversy? Who had it First

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

bangla
New Recruit
New Recruit

Pi controversy? Who had it First

Post by bangla » Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:38 am

I'm sorry but I wasn't going to say anything but I think it is way messed up that some guard stole our show from 2003 (Raiders Open did Pi). I mean they took the music, a little of the floor, and the chalk board idea. As it is we hardly ever get credit, but that show was ours first. I mean I had to push that prop everywhere in the show. Like it is one thing to take music that someone did and go your own way with it (like Chino is doing with Bolero... another Raider show... although World) but to take the concept. I mean I don't wish this guard any bad will, but I'm just a little bitter....

catlove
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by catlove » Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:37 am

Guard Instructors can choose any music that they want too. Just because two guards use the same music doesnt mean that they stole someone elses show idea. Music is music man get over it...

MsNikki
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MsNikki » Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:14 am

First of all, catlove ... they already noted that they understand if it was JUST the music. But it's not JUST the music. When you start using the same props and themes then it's more. I think that's tittering right on the line of indecency ... if the work is the same. Then they've completely stepped over.

Chino is doing Bolero? Man, it seems like everyone is/has done Bolero. Good thing I never got the chance to do it.
World Of Pageantry Champion!

georgefan22
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by georgefan22 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:33 pm

Bangla stop being so butt hurt, I was bitter too but it's just a show, when we were doing the show we hated it, sure we look back not and it was pretty good but ohh well. If anyone should be bitter it's papa bear lol. Let's jsut hope no one decides to copy last years show cause that wouldn't be cool for them. Just remember that you got to see other people run in to props and the other guard will never have those memories lol I LOVE BANGLA SHE'S MY HUSSIE

catlove
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by catlove » Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:36 pm

First of all, catlove ... they already noted that they understand if it was JUST the music. But it's not JUST the music. When you start using the same props and themes then it's more. I think that's tittering right on the line of indecency ... if the work is the same. Then they've completely stepped over.
Yet again it is not the guards fault, it all comes down to the instructor. No guard names should be mentioned but the instructor's name should.

RifleLova
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Pi controversy? Who had it First

Post by RifleLova » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:24 pm

bangla wrote:I'm sorry but I wasn't going to say anything but I think it is way messed up that some guard stole our show from 2003 (Raiders Open did Pi). I mean they took the music, a little of the floor, and the chalk board idea. As it is we hardly ever get credit, but that show was ours first. I mean I had to push that prop everywhere in the show. Like it is one thing to take music that someone did and go your own way with it (like Chino is doing with Bolero... another Raider show... although World) but to take the concept. I mean I don't wish this guard any bad will, but I'm just a little bitter....
I would be most displease also! That's never happened to my guard...except we heard other people use our music two years in a row after we'd used it but I didn't care because it's just music but it does become too much if they even have the same props and some of the same floor...that's horrible actually!
Pearl Madison: I'm only human.
Leland: How come people only say that when they've done something wrong?

crfrey71
Veteran
Veteran

Nothing new

Post by crfrey71 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:23 pm

Have any of you experienced drum corps? I say that, because songs in drum corps activity get regurgitated on a regular basis. There is absolutely no problem with doing the same music.

In winterguard, I see more guard units copying the moves and music from the drum corps activity, in all honesty. I remember WGI West Regionals a few weeks ago. I said to myself, "how many guards are going to use music from past Phantom Regiment shows?" I heard the music from their 1994 and 1996 shows clearly.

This past weekend, I saw a trademark Cavalier maneuver done by one of the guard units. It was the move, when all the flags are in one column, I think, in the center, then as they separate, from front to back, in succession, they toss their flags across to each other. (Hope that explains that move)

If any activity is guilty of copying, it is the high school and college bands. I have seen the same exact uniforms, music, moves, etc... copied from drum corps activity.

I really don't have a problem with it. It is daring to do this in the first place, because I do not care what anyone says, but I believe, that judges tend to score lower, shows that have been done in the past. It's the comparison factor. I think you really have to excel much better than the first time that show was performed, to get a solid score.

yellow
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by yellow » Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:55 pm

It's okay...

I mean how many guards have stolen ideas and choreography from music videos? The guard I taught didn't exactly write out a check to Michael Jackson when they did Thriller.... I guess it's an honor. Plus we'll always have the orange MAC eye shadow, tye-dye skirts, and of course our SPIRAL!!!!

pitchick00
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pitchick00 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:21 pm

i think i get what catlove is trying to say...i've witnessed WITH my high school band director, a guard that did a show with pretty much the same concepts as what my high school guard did in 2000. I saw a couple of the same "tosses", and the storyline...the music not IDENTICAL but in the same order. some directors even noted to my old director that the show looks pretty damn close to the 2000 show. MsNikki, if you seen it, you'll know what i'm talking about.

anyway, while some may take from drum corps...these ideas came from ONE PERSON...the director...and one of his old students used one of HIS ideas, without permission. so catlove...i understand your "anger". yet sometimes...you just gotta let it go. if people know where it's from, you'll probably get some kind of credit. hope that makes you feel better...even a little.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance. It is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

vallejo high school 97-00
san jose state 00-01
vhs pit instructor 01-03
vms pit instructor 04-05

MsNikki
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MsNikki » Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:30 pm

[quote="pitchick00"]i think i get what catlove is trying to say...i've witnessed WITH my high school band director, a guard that did a show with pretty much the same concepts as what my high school guard did in 2000. I saw a couple of the same "tosses", and the storyline...the music not IDENTICAL but in the same order. some directors even noted to my old director that the show looks pretty damn close to the 2000 show. MsNikki, if you seen it, you'll know what i'm talking about. [quote]

As much as I want to see that show, I have yet to see it. But I do know what you're talking about. I was in that guard show in 2000. I hope I get to see it eventually ...
World Of Pageantry Champion!