2005 West Power Regional and other Winterguard Photos Here!

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

crfrey71
Veteran
Veteran

2005 West Power Regional and other Winterguard Photos Here!

Post by crfrey71 » Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:50 am

I have posted online photos from the 2005 West Power Regional Winterguard competitions, as well as from 2 other competitions, the San Ysidro and Eastlake competitions from early February. Check out the photos, if you have time. They are of pretty high quality.

http://crfrey71.smugmug.com/Winter+Guard

coachcheryl
New Recruit
New Recruit

new photo web site

Post by coachcheryl » Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:27 pm

These are great action shots. I am impressed. I haven't seen any of the shows live this year yet, but this gave me a chance to see my favorite performers.
Great job!
Parents go buy them!

ChipperSlipper

wow...

Post by ChipperSlipper » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:58 pm

wow! yeah those pictures are all really good. there are a few creepy ones of me. i'm absolutely buying some!
"Pacific 231" - 2004
"Master of Suspense" - 2005

RifleLova
Veteran
Veteran

great pictures

Post by RifleLova » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:17 pm

I'm definitely going to buy some also!
Pearl Madison: I'm only human.
Leland: How come people only say that when they've done something wrong?

crfrey71
Veteran
Veteran

Barred from selling photos from WGI event

Post by crfrey71 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:02 am

I was contacted by WGI Marketing Director yesterday and was threatened with legal action, if I didn't remove the "selling" options from the images I took at the WGI event, within 48 hours. Bart Woodley, the Marketing Director at WGI informed me that they have an exclusive contract with Bateman Photography.

So I am not allowed to sell the photos from the WGI regionals any longer. Sorry folks!

coachcheryl
New Recruit
New Recruit

Why???

Post by coachcheryl » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:12 am

Why is it that WE as consumers are not allowed to pick our own vendors? Is this legal?
Just because WGI has an exclusive contract with Bateman doesn't mean I do as a parent or a patron.
This unfair and does not give us the right to chose.
Can someone explain this to us???

ajacobs
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by ajacobs » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:17 pm

I can't speak from an official capacity, but this is not unusual for any organization that sponsors and puts on a performance, competition, event, etc.

As a photographer, I can't just go into a sponsored event and assume that I can take and sell photos. Try doing that at a Chargers game (since you're from San Diego) and see how quickly that organization comes after you. In the case of minors it can create even bigger problems. There have been many situations where photographers posted images of soccer, little league baseball, etc., and they were threatened with legal action by parents.

It's not an issue of consumer choice, it's really more an issue of licensing and sponsorhip. Hope that helps.

coachcheryl
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by coachcheryl » Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:15 pm

Well, it looks like they can sell the photos of WGASC. I understand about WGI. He took the buy option down.
As a parent, it is nice to see the WGASC events, we as parents can't always get good video or still pictures. So I am glad he can sell those.
Thanks for the info

crfrey71
Veteran
Veteran

No selling

Post by crfrey71 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:05 pm

As a precaution, I have taken the "sell" option off from the WGASC photos as well, until I get word from them. I am assuming that it's only the WGI, but I have temporarily taken the photos off the sell option, so I do not receive any more nasty-ograms.

crfrey71
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crfrey71 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:46 pm

ajacobs wrote:I can't speak from an official capacity, but this is not unusual for any organization that sponsors and puts on a performance, competition, event, etc.

As a photographer, I can't just go into a sponsored event and assume that I can take and sell photos. Try doing that at a Chargers game (since you're from San Diego) and see how quickly that organization comes after you. In the case of minors it can create even bigger problems. There have been many situations where photographers posted images of soccer, little league baseball, etc., and they were threatened with legal action by parents.

It's not an issue of consumer choice, it's really more an issue of licensing and sponsorhip. Hope that helps.
Chargers game is kind of a bad example. Even with pro-gear, you need field access to get the kind of shots that sell. If you did get a media pass, you are at the mercy of the San Diego Chargers and the NFL, as far as what you can do with your photos. That's an agreement. Most places just control what kind of lens you bring into the event. Sports Arena is a perfect exmple of that. They don't allow anything, it seems, into the sports arena. Lot of places have a limit of how many inches the lens can be, to be able to be brought into the venue. The Padres games, I have no problem with even bringing in my Canon 100-400mm lens.

Now, there is nothing illegal about taking photos of children, as long as they are in a public forum.

crfrey71
Veteran
Veteran

Pending further review

Post by crfrey71 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:37 pm

WGASC is considering whether I will be allowed to take photos at the WGASC events, which Bateman Photography is not contracted to shoot at. I will inform you all, when I receive an answer, one way or the other. Stay tuned!

coachcheryl
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by coachcheryl » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:38 pm

I hope they do, you take great pictures!

crfrey71
Veteran
Veteran

Thanks very much!

Post by crfrey71 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:44 pm

Thanks very much! I am on YIM right now.

GrumpyMom1

Post by GrumpyMom1 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:38 am

I sure hope they allow you to continue taking pictures. My daughter is in one of the guards you photographed at Eastlake and I think your pictures are wonderful! Are you going to be at Eastlake tomorrow?

crfrey71
Veteran
Veteran

I plan on it

Post by crfrey71 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:49 am

I plan on going tomorrow. I will be shooting with my backup camera, which is not as good as my camera I have been shooting with. That camera is still in the canon repair shop for calibration.

Thanks very much for your nice compliments! Good lukc to your daughter tomorrow and everyone else who is going to compete at eastlake. Atleast I know there is good lighting there.