becoming an instructor

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

guardthepiccolo
Support Staff
Support Staff

becoming an instructor

Post by guardthepiccolo » Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:28 am

Next year i reallly want to be a guard instructor. I'm not really sure how to get into it though. I'm not really getting taken seriously by the people who can help me, so I'm pretty much on my own. Does anyone have suggestions on how to get started? I'm in the bay area, looking to teach middle/high school guards. thanks so much!
Benicia High School C/O '05
Colorguard Instructor

iminguard
Rookie
Rookie

Post by iminguard » Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:56 pm

talk to ur own instructor and maybe they can help you achieve your goal!
Breath in the music Breath out your performance.....

laurab
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by laurab » Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:26 pm

You may want to check you local circuit web site. Most have classified ads for schools in need of instructors. Good luck!

guarddude
Veteran
Veteran

Post by guarddude » Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:58 am

My advice to you is always ask lots of questions.

1. Why do you want to do this? Who will benefit from your expertise?

2. What experience do you bring to this activity? A band director might want to know.

3. How organized are you? Do you know how to supervise a rehearsal? Can you organize a whole tournament day? Can you organize a winter guard performance day?

4. How resourceful are you? Can you find that final 5 yards of gold tissue lame material for your flags? What place has the best jazz shoes for cheap?

5. Are you willing to communicate with parents? They'll want to know who you are and what your plans are for their child. Do you have a discipline plan in place?

6. What is your rehearsal strategy? You will always be out of time. How will you maximize that time.

7. Do you understand the rules of the game? Field, Street and Winter Guard each have different and unique rules. Do you know them?

8. Are you willing to be scrutinized by a school district? They'll want to know all about you and your past if you're going to teach their kids.

Questions....do have the answers to all of them? They'll ask you plenty....parents, students, band directors, judges, colleagues. How will you respond?

Rich
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Rich » Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:27 pm

ive only hade the pleasure of having horrid parents at 1 school i taught at, i am no longer there and its like the best feeling ever.

when the parents think they ar the band director, and have more control of the band then he/she does, PLEASE think about why your still there. if the kids are great stick it out...if not, u know what to do.

band directors are great, but if u run into one who doesnt know what he or she is doing...run!

-rich

pitchick00
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pitchick00 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:21 pm

my first instructing gig was actually with my alumni hs, under my instructor. the gig i'm at now i was hired on by my hs director (who has since left my high school and is teaching at a middle school).
i say use the resources around you. your instuctor, director, friends...it's the easiest way to get known. step out the box and ask other instructors, too. you may find a gig somewhere else, maybe even your rival school. :wink:

guardthepiccolo
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by guardthepiccolo » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:49 pm

thanks so much for your help! i think i'm making progress, i'll find out tomorrow i suppose...
Colorguard Instructor

JenKozy
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by JenKozy » Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:28 pm

Best thing to do, introduce yourself to any and everyone. If you are after a particular school, ask if you can be a tech. Teaching is a whole different ball game from being a performer. You are responsible for a whole lot of things. If you have never been in an instructors shoes, teching for a guard would be a great way to test the waters.

I have been an instructor for over 8 years in the bay area. I instruct for Ygnacio Valley. The only thing is, try not to think about getting paid. Almost all the districts in the area are broke and are losing their programs fast. Being in the Benicia district, you should know that. Look for a great band director that supports their program. I heard a rumor that Antioch high school lost their guard director recently. FYI. :P
I am NOT too old for this!

I'd rather be Dreaming... in a tree.

guardthepiccolo
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by guardthepiccolo » Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:39 pm

thanks for the info, and i'm DEFINITELY not in it for the money hehe. and i'm very excited to instruct somewhere next year, don't know where yet, because way later i'll be a band director, and it'll help my experience a lot.
Colorguard Instructor

JenKozy
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by JenKozy » Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:23 am

No problem. 8-)
I am NOT too old for this!

I'd rather be Dreaming... in a tree.