Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

totherescue
Veteran
Veteran

question for instructors

Post by totherescue » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:08 pm

ok i was just wondering...
i am a guard instructor and i always tell my kids that it doesnt matter if they win or lose, just as long as they have fun and work hard to accomplish things that they never would have ever done in any other form in thier life, and as long as they have a good show then i dont care what the outcome is.
but the real truth is that i do care if they win or lose!!!! am i the only one to feel this way??????????????????

MsNikki
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MsNikki » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:24 pm

I only get upset about not winning when I really think they deserved it. I mean you can watch the show and see they're having fun and doing their best, but you also need to be able to recognize when other groups have done.

I know there were times when my group didn't do so well, but they had fun. If they're happy, I'm happy. When you make it all about winning, and your group doesn't, that will only demoralize them and take the fun out of performing.

Your strongest competition is yourself.
World Of Pageantry Champion!

laurab
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by laurab » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:33 pm

While this is a competitve activity, if your goal is to WIN, your setting your kids up for failure even if they have a great show and place second. Set your goals by the level of performer you have. A no drop show, a better score, finals in Dayton. It all depends on the kids you happen to be working with.

Obviously we all want to win or we wouldn't have scores or placements. But as educators we need to understand that we can't all be first place and the process of improving with each performance is an achivement for our students as well.

What I stress to my kids is to always work to be the very best they can be. That way no matter where they happen to place they have no regrets.

I don't know if that helps any but it's just my two cents :-)

sokkerboie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sokkerboie » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:17 am

I always teach the idea - YOU PREPARE TO WIN, YOU DON"T EXPECT TO WIN. Sometimes I have found that if you teach that winning doesn't matter then their commitment and drive lessens. We live in a culture where winning IS important, but it is NOT the only thing that matters.
Talent is not only a blessing, it is a burden, as the gifted ones will soon find out - Vince Lombardi