Are You Mad Too..thanks Abc Tv L.a.

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

Mr Pageantry
Veteran
Veteran

Are You Mad Too..thanks Abc Tv L.a.

Post by Mr Pageantry » Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:03 pm

I CAN'T REMEMBER BEING AS ANGRY... THE CHANNEL 7 INAUGURAL COVERAGE WAS EXQUISITE.... THE PETER JENNINGS COMMENTARY WAS GREAT.. THEN THE INAUGURAL PARADE COVERAGE STARTED... IT GOT PROGRESSIVELY WORSE.. DEMONSTRATORS BECAME THE OVERWHELMING OBSESSION... THEN IT WAS 1PM.. TIME FOR THE STATION TO INTERRUPT THE NATIONAL FEED FOR LOCAL WEATHER REPORT... LO AND BEHOLD.. ONCE AGAIN IT WAS 80 DEFREES AND SUNNY... AND THE LOCAL NEWS GENIUSES DECIDED TO CUT OFF THE ARCADIA HS BAND.. THE PRIDE OF THE STATE WITH 31 MILLION CITIZENS AND ARGUABLY ONE OF THE FINEST BANDS IN THE PARADE...

I RARELY GET SO AGITATED.. I CALLED THE STATION AND WAS TOLD THAT ARCADIA HAD NOT BEEN ON YET....

THE NEWSROOM GENIUS DID NOT LISTEN TO ME AS I EXPLAINED THAT I HAD THE PARADE LINEUP AND THAT THEY HAD TELEVISED THE UNIT BEFORE ARCADIA... AND THE UNIT AFTER ARCADIA.. MS NEWS GENIUS TOLD ME THAT THE WEATHER REPORT ALWAYS WASON AT 1PM.. AND THAT THAT'S WHAT PEOPLE WANTED TO SEE NOT SOME HIGH SCHOOL BAND....

JOIN ME.. IF YOU'RE AN AGELINO AND CALL

626-821-8370

THAT WAS
626-821-8370

I REPEAT 626-821-8370

OR PERHAPS YOU MIGHT WANT TO CALL

626-821-8370

TO EXPRESS YOUR DISSAPOINTMENT

AT 626-621-8370

janets_b00b
New Recruit
New Recruit

C-SPAN, Baby!

Post by janets_b00b » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:41 pm

C-SPAN showed the Inaugural Parade live, and then again last Saturday. No annoying commentator - just real time of the event as it happened, and going by the official announcer's comments.

I have to say that this is how a parade *should* be, both in form, and how it's presented . Nothing but marching bands (high school, college, and military) and other forms of "pageantry"! If only Katie Couric and Matt Laurer could take a hint from these guys for Macy*s Thanksgiving Day Parade. Bands fundraise thousands of dollars to be on TV for like, 30 seconds - the least announcer's could do is pay a little respect and actually listen to the bands.

Another plus to watching it on C-SPAN: pre-parade coverage, and a nice shot of Jenna Bush's dental work while applying lip gloss for what seemed like ten minutes. Also, getting to see members of the immediate "Bush Dynasty" - cute babies and all, but you can already see the effects of what it's like to be raised in an aristocratic and wealthy upbringing.

But I digress. Just catch the next Inaugural Parade on C-SPAN in another four years, when the true everyday American, both metropolitan, secular, forward thinking humans and Wal-Mart shoppers alike have had enough of being lied to and stolen from and have properly elected a Democrat. We'll still be in Iraq in the next four years, in an even bigger mess and a higher death toll;the World economy would just be beginning to see the effects of the Tsunami tragedy when they realized a large percentage of the World's sweatshops for companies like the Gap and Tommy Hilfiger were wiped out; we'll have started another unnecessary obscene war with Iran and the administration will do all they can to insist it was necessary; The genocide of millions in the Sudan and Darfur regions will continue, and we still won't have found Osama bin Laden. Oh yeah, not to mention the fact that a woman no longer has her choice to govern what happens to her body or that a cancer patient can make his own choice to smoke a little doob to combat the effects of painful chemotherapy. I apologize if your parents voted for this corporate suckup and stealer of 401ks. My parents did, and it made for quite an interesting Christmas. But unlike my parents, maybe you're parents are millionaires, in which case, they've enjoyed their tax breaks. My parents got a measly $400 back, but their health insurance premiums went up twice as much. So, if there's anything to be angry about here, it should be the clout of Wal-Mart shoppers and the next four years we have to look forward to. Nice to see he's already going into this term asking for another 80 billion for to fund this personal vendetta, to satisfy some bizarre oedipilian complex and prove something to his father. Guess whose going to pick up the tab, while the very classroom you sit in needs a new coat of paint, or your school district realizes it's going to have to cut Art and Music after all!

But it's nice to see all those corporate "donations" made for a swell and lavish parade for a puppet who can't say more than five syllables at a time. Thousands of years of evolution and you get Dan Quayle and George W.

But I thought all the bands who participated were fabulous, and props out to Spartans Drum and Bugle Corps. More drum corps is parades! Work your magic for us Harvey.

janets_b00b
New Recruit
New Recruit

Btw

Post by janets_b00b » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:45 pm

By the way, Arcadia was fabulous. Are those the actual guard unis and flags the Cadets used? I guess they did Holsinger's "In Spring..." this year? They looked really good, the only guard who wasn't wearing something generic. They were fabulous!

And McQueen, from Reno, NV. I also liked the local D.C. band.

Oh, and all you flag companies need to start designing some new patriotic in stock budget flags. After watching this parade, those designs are looking a little dated.