Colorguard Drum Majors?

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

Allen
New Recruit
New Recruit

Colorguard Drum Majors?

Post by Allen » Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:45 am

I was wondering if anyone has known of a colorguard member who was also the drum major? Because I'm on guard right now, but I was drum major at my middle school last year and I just really miss spinning and the whole leadership position. I love performing but I find being drum major to be a much more respected role. I think Ayala had a CGDM (as I like to call them) before, or so I've heard.

I was talking to people from my school about it, and some of them say it's not possible, that I have to be in band to be able to tryout. Well, let's say I DID tryout and I made it... Couldn't I spin DM for parades, but do guard for field shows, so I wouldn't have to know the music for field. Marching band and colorguard are the same period, and it's not like I'd have to be there when band is just practicing their music. I could be at CG practice, and just .. switch off? -shrugs- I don't know, I don't really see any apparant reason why I wouldn't be able to tryout.

Any comments or insight on this?

catlove
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by catlove » Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:12 pm

Back in 1997-1998 Chino High School had a Guard member our Drum Major.

Neo Fantasian
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Neo Fantasian » Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:28 pm

I was the Drum Major for my Highschool, and i'm also in and independent guard. Heh, i added a 5 saber toss into my conducting routine, but it was only at football games.
Highland High School: 02-03, 03-04, 04-05

Windswept Winterguard: 04, 05

RCC Rifle Line '05: We Will Rock You

whsguardgirl06
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by whsguardgirl06 » Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:14 pm

at our school (westview) we have a colorguard member who is the main drum major. last year she did guard in the field show, and was the drum major for parades, but this year she conducted our second movement (the other drum major did the first and third movements) and she marched with the band when she didnt conduct. and she also was the drum major for parades. and she does winterguard.( amoung other things) lets just say shes very good at managing time and keeping good grades :D
Westview HS c/o 2006! woot!

one big pink boat with 12 stripes and no sails powered by SEXY!!

LMHSMetalGod
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by LMHSMetalGod » Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:55 pm

one of our guard instructors was dm a few years ago, this is before my time, but i dont know if she did guard field season.
GIT R DONE

Rich
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Rich » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:00 pm

i guess it depends on the band director and their position on the subject. some may feel since u "belong" to the colorguard that the band would feel a little irked if a guard member is telling them what to do...even if its only for parades.

it never hurts to ask.

flagratgirl
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by flagratgirl » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:18 pm

my freshman year our drum major was also one of the colorguard captains. she was drum major for 2 years...
WOP OT Mafia Game I: Townsperson champion

There is no beginning or end.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is mystery.
Today is a gift.

Allen
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Allen » Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:24 pm

Oh, yay! I'm glad to know there's been colorguard drum majors out there. Hmm, yeah I should ask and see if I could tryout. Because our band directors are always talking about band+cg equality, (even though it's usually some punishment for something the band did and they just want us to suffer the consequences as well, but that's another topic.) so I think I should have an equal chance, hopefully. Is colorguard considered part of the band? I mean like, more part of the band than independant? Because if the band would feel irked by a guardie telling them what to do, don't guard members always feel irked by a band member telling them what to do?

Rich
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Rich » Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:30 pm

thats true. but in the world of band(i know this because i was in band as well) some, not all but SOME, feel that the colorguard only exists because of the band ie. parades and field show. sad though because alot of times the colorguard is better then the band. haha which is probably the reason they may feel that way about the guard. HAHA now u have me thinking.

anywho just ask yer directors i woulednt think there would be a problem if they are stressing guard and band equality...and yes use the word equality.

-rich

Rifleman
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Rifleman » Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:37 pm

2 years ago at Helix, the year they did Planet of the Apes. There Drum Major was also a guard member. He is now marching with Esperanza de Luz.

MusicCoach
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by MusicCoach » Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:38 pm

I when I was in like 7th grade we had someone from the color guard who was my assistant drum majors for parades and etc. She was a part of a wonderful color guard program started my a close friend of my. So it can happen guard people. Its possible to be a guard member and also try-out for drum major position.

:P 8-) :lol:
Moreno Valley HS
*Front Ensemble/Battery Instructor* 08-09
*Drill Designer* 08
Temescal Canyon HS
*Front Ensemble Instructor* 05-08
*Marching Instructor* 05-07
Tracy Community Drumline
*Co-Director*
*Music Arranger*
*Drill Designer*

mkosbie
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by mkosbie » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:14 pm

Just want to point out that all bands are different with regard to Drum Major. Most of the school's in my district actually place a majority of leadership on their Drum Major. While this doesn't immediately preclude colorguard, it does stop anyone who won't/can't commit enough time.

As the student leader, you need to always be available. I know my director often had me warm up the band so he could work elsewhere. A good portion of rehearsals (yes, this includes field) were also mine to run. Some bands even have the Drum Major as a field conductor. So, ultimately, although it may be possible to do both, it's probably not the best thing to do. Once you start as Drum Major, students look to you as their role model.

This doesn't mean you shouldn't try out, just don't plan on doing both. Even if you work out a plan with the director/colorguard coach, you'll be letting the students down. They'll be looking to you and you won't always be there (if you do both).
It's 5:00... do you know where your ancestors came from?