CCGC Scholastic Evals Reviews???

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

trydentstar

CCGC Scholastic Evals Reviews???

Post by trydentstar » Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:03 pm

Anyone have any reviews from the CCGC Scholastic Evals at Homestead this past Saturday? Want to hear about the A, Open, and World Class. Any guards stand out at all in their classes?

katweston

Post by katweston » Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:42 am

I had a great time at the eval show yesterday. Teams that stood out to me were:
Los Gatos (A class) Very impressive show! They've done a lot of recruiting, they had 5 members last year and now they're up to about 18. Their music was beautiful, it sounded like a movie score but I couldn't identify which one. Live Oak (AA class) was memorable with their "traffic" show, but I didn't understand their prevalent use of the color green: green painted floor, backdrops, uniforms, & flags... hopefully that will make more sense as they complete more of their show.
One guard's show, I'm sorry I don't recall which one, began with a young lady dancing with a large sheer scarf in a belly dancing sort of style... it was absolutely mesmerizing! I look forward to seeing them again.
Oak Grove (Open) did a show called "Last Dance" which was fun & carefree... completely different then last year's show (mental issues). I kept thinking of Fairfield's "Dancing Fool" show while they were performing (that's a good thing!).
Logan's Open guard "Summertime" was good, but they have some serious competition this year. I loved their music, but I was a little surprised that they dedicated such a considerable amount of their show to dancing when their strength really seemed to be more in their equipment.
My favorite Open guard is Independence this year. Their show "Furious Angels" was so captivating, we all felt left hanging because we were so enthralled, yet the show was not finished yet... I can't wait to see it completed so I know what happens next! The only downside to that one is their set. While effective for the audience in the front, I felt bad for the people sitting behind the huge backdrops that missed an amazing show.
The highlight of the evening was of course, James Logan High School performing their show "In the cradle of Odin". I believe their music is a song by Bjork, and their floor looks like watery blues and greens. They are definitely reigning world champions for a reason! A memorable moment (more like a minute, I should say) in their show is when a young man extends his leg above his head and holds it there, in perfect balance for what seems like FOREVER! Extremely remarkable for a high school dancer. I can't wait to see their show again, as there is just too much going on to absorb in just one viewing!
Overall, the evening left me with a lot of anticipation for the coming season. I am very curious to see how the different guards develop their shows, because a lot of them did not make sense just yet. I would love to hear from anyone that got to see the SRA guards, which is my teams division. We were warming up and didn't get to see many of the other SRA guards. I welcome comments from others that had attended as well, and wish everyone the best of luck in their seasons!

ybjazz06

ccgc evals

Post by ybjazz06 » Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:01 pm

Evals was great! This is my second year and I got to see almost all the guards. I liked most everyone there. Hmm, I don't know if i can pick one guard for each class, but I think the guards here stood out.

Regional A
Didn't see that many to really pick one. Does alvarado really have 2 guards in regional A? I think I heard the announcements say that they were.

SA
Homestead I think stood out - also cuz they were on last in SA too I think. They had their costumes already and floor painted (really pretty). Their music is this african sounding techno piece. I think they did their whole show (last minute or so was just walking around for drill) and they were pretty darn clean for evals. Their show has to do something with light and there's this voice at the start of their show that says, let there be light. A couple girls dance with these shiny circle props that look kinda cool.

I think they got moved up a class to AA. The announcer said there was a mistake at the end of the announcements and that Homestead was moved up to AA. I know they won SA last year, so I think they'll do well in AA and give some competition.

SAA
I agree with kasweston that Live Oak's show is interesting. Their floor is painted like a street. They also had their costumes already and flags were kinda cool. Yeah, and there sure is a lot of green. I think their show theme is pretty interesting and want to see how they are gonna end their show.

Open
I liked Logan's show, they're always great - their show is called summertime. I think Fairfield's show is pretty - yeah, and definitely different than their show last year. Independence was rocking with their angels show, they sure can toss...i think their show is better this year. Amador was evaluated in open, but they announced them in AA after evals? if they are in AA, they'll definitely be really good. their floor has these swirly lines on them, and the music I think came in wrong/early but the members jumped right into their flag work.

Yeah, and Oak Grove's show made me laugh with their last dance music. Some of the boys need to learn how to dance, but those girls on weapon sure can toss though! I think they'll be fun to watch once they get the show done more.

World Guards
What's there not to say about Logan? Geez, they are always great of course. Their floor looks cool - I think they have this egyptian writing in a circle on the floor. They also had their whole show done I think. They do this really cool trick where one person tosses a flag and then a person behind them catches it IN THEIR LEG behind the back. Remember that move when they did it last year? Now they do it and make it even more difficult.

I also saw Leigh - they have asian themed music (japanese music i think) and they put out these piles of red paper stuff that they scatter around the floor during the show. they actually come out with rakes later in the show and move it all around the floor. it was cool kinda like fingerpainting - but on the floor.

anyway, it'll be interesting to see what happens this season!

azngal

Post by azngal » Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:00 pm

Mad props to those who competed on Saturday.Its been awhile since i've watched that manyscholastic guards and i thought everyone did real well.