Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

co_capoftheSHSguard
New Recruit
New Recruit

help the passion for guard is dying!!! plz help

Post by co_capoftheSHSguard » Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:31 pm

hey everyone

so, what i mean when i say, "the passion for guard is dying" i mean within my team. I am the co-captain of the Santiago high school colorguard and im sorry to say, some of the people in guard doesnt even like to be there. and you can believe it makes me really upset, hurt, and mad. in most of my life i have wanted to be a spinner and when i finally get to be in it and get a chance to be there co-captain they treat me bad and bring down the whole team by being there when they dont like it. my captain says that we cant tell them to leave but i really dont know what to do...i mean its my senior year and i just love color guard it is the greats passion of mine and they are just in it for an easy A. so plz i need help....what should i do about the gurls. :?

Madame_Spooky
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Madame_Spooky » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:08 pm

Hi there :)

I think you've met me before in person -- well not directly... but anyway, I knew Manuel and saw your Taxi show once... :)

As for the guard, I'm sorry to hear -- it's really hard convincing people to give it their all and have great attitudes if they don't enjoy the program anymore.

Do you know why they don't enjoy it? Why does your captain say that they can't drop out? Do you need the numbers?

Maybe you can make rehearsals a little more fun -- challenge them, teach them some tricks, play some ice breakers, braid hair, make chocolate strawberries, etc... lol

I know that guards love being challenged -- but it's always good to balance work and play. Perhaps that's your dilemma... I try to make sure people have fun during rehearsals (with my lame jokes and dramatic expressions and sayings) or you could have some get togethers... bonding is good :)

BUT!

Have you thought about asking them why they are like that? Have what we dub 'the circle' and maybe you pass around a magic item and who ever holds the magic item can talk - you can ask questions, let people express their feelings... get to the bottom of things!

Hope that helps, keep us posted!

~Jessi
"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment."

shagadalex
Rookie
Rookie

Post by shagadalex » Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:25 pm

Hello, Co-Captain of the Santiago High School Color Guard!
First of all, I never went to Santiago :oops: . Just kidding!

Madame_Spooky, I can feel her frustration :-\. The problem girls, well, don't WANT to be challenged. She'll make up great flag moves and routines only to have them shot down by "That's stupid" "That's too military color guard needs to be GIRLY!" "you're on a power trip!". Several of them didn't even want to spin for their christmas parade just because they didn't want to have to learn a new routine. it's madness. My advice was to recruit new people who are willing to try hard. Several of the girls REALLY try, but the others just bring everyone else down. yes, I know that probably happens to all groups at some time or another and I don't want to sound harsh by saying this, but I think the girls who are just there for the easy A the director gives them should be removed.
Alex
Santiago High School Marching Cavaliers C/O 2004

co_capoftheSHSguard
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by co_capoftheSHSguard » Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:27 pm

:cry: it make me mad just thinking about them on my free tyme.....but i do somehow agree with both of you
GUARD IS LIFE

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:54 pm

shagadalex wrote:Madame_Spooky, I can feel her frustration :-\. The problem girls, well, don't WANT to be challenged. She'll make up great flag moves and routines only to have them shot down by "That's stupid" "That's too military color guard needs to be GIRLY!" "you're on a power trip!".
First of all behavior like that towards a student leader is unacceptable and should be reported immeadiately to the director. As with trying to motivate the guard, you might want to try talking to the problematic people individually and confront them as to why they are acting like that. As question's like is it personal, or do you just not enjoy that activity. Let them know if they're not willing to change that you will have to ask the director to remove them from the show. This will motivate most extreme cases, because they truly want to be there for the social aspect and will change there attitude so as not to lose the friendship. If this doesn't work I believe that the director should remove them from the show, but that is up to him/her.

BTW, This is my first post in the CG forum.
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.

RifleDiva
Veteran
Veteran

Post by RifleDiva » Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:54 pm

Goth_MV_Tenor wrote: BTW, This is my first post in the CG forum.
CONGRATULATIONS!

I made my first post in the DL forum a few weeks ago. I never would have gone in there except there were some scores I wanted to see in there.

co_capoftheSHSguard,
I'm really sorry that you are having these issues. This is my senior year too and I know we both want to enjoy our last year. We have our own attitude issues on my guard too. Some like yours and others that are similar. I think that's true for just about any guard. I'm going to have to agree with previous posts and say taking to your instructor and confronting these girls are probably your best bets.

Unfortunately, there will always be those people who don't care and take this class as an easy way out of P.E. or for an easy A. they are most likely to discover that guard ISN'T easy and will drop out before they get very far.

I wish you the best of luck in solving this issue!
c/o 2005

Love always hopes

gobblefastguardo
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by gobblefastguardo » Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:38 pm

co_capoftheSHSguard:
I had the exact same problem way eairler in field season. I am sorta the Co-Captain of my guard, we aren't supposed to have Co-Captains, but my best friend is Captain, and she told me I was Co-Captain at the beginning of the year. Anyways.
All I did was openly talk with my guard. Of course, that was after I got so frusterated and upset about the lack of passion that I broke down crying at one of our field practices. I told them what I felt, what I knew. That no one cared. Everyone was just doing it to get out of P.E., and there was no passion, and no love for the sport. They agreed, mostly. So a few quit. And in the end, yea, a few quit, but then that only left the few that really cared. And in the end, we accomplished the first 1st place this guard has seen in YEARS, and much more then a 1st place as a guard. We have grown as friends, teammates, and people. In the end it comes down to the passion, and if your girls don't have it or want it...then get them out. That's all it took for my guard to have an amazing season.
Hope that helps. :D
Field:
03-04~Sounds of the 70's
04-05~Nightmere before Christmas (best show EVER!)
05-06~Not a member...*sigh* =[
Winter Guard:
03-04~Crazy Little Thing Called Love-Michael Buble
04-05~Who Wants to Live Forever-Queen