Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

Rich
Rookie
Rookie

Whos good on street this year??

Post by Rich » Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:20 pm

whats up?

well im the guard instructor at Rosemead and Whittier high. i was just wondering whos good on street this season. rosemead is all street (overseas march)and Whittier is both (circue de soleil and Bravura).

just curious.

first rosemead outting is Loara in 2 weeks. and whittier is at Wilson on the same day.

i know el rancho and North park are gonna be great as usual, thanks to my instructor rhonda. what about bonita vista and rancho bernardo and west?

get back to me....

-rich

PowayColorguardrules

i am from poway cali

Post by PowayColorguardrules » Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:40 pm

poway is great this year!

shagadalex
Rookie
Rookie

Post by shagadalex » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:20 am

Garey and Diamond Ranch both had outstanding guards, as usual
Alex
Santiago High School Marching Cavaliers C/O 2004

sapphireclarinet
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sapphireclarinet » Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:59 pm

mira mesa's parade colorguard is great this year as well. :D

fluteman2006
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by fluteman2006 » Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:30 pm

West Hills colorguard scored an 88.5(not sure about the .5...may be 88.3) at the mother goose parade, winning sweeps and beating helix ( which is a big deal for us since we are 2a and they r 5a). Their overall season has been great. Congrats to their captain Meagan...i love you babe!
High above the river valley, stands the silver blue and black...

Survivor
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Survivor » Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:08 am

Um...at arcadia I dont know the name of the group but, one group beat out RB on the street major upset at least i think so because rb is a world guard
Show my Pride witht the SCV (Future Corp) Yep Yep!!!!!

Lead, Follow, or get out of the way!

-Dave Kuhns

sapphireclarinet
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sapphireclarinet » Sat Nov 27, 2004 11:14 pm

That was Bonita Vista High School, they scored a 97.60, winning the parade sweeps for guard. they have a great street team, and so does RB. :D

Kat

Post by Kat » Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:25 am

Survivor wrote:Um...at arcadia I dont know the name of the group but, one group beat out RB on the street major upset at least i think so because rb is a world guard
first off, good job to Bonita Vista :D

and secondly, i dont see what difference it makes that RB is a world guard. Field and parade are really different from winterguard, and there have been Scholastic A guards that have beat/tied them in field before, i think its just because it really is a lot different from winterguard, and the judges notice different things to...i mean...you arent going to see the same thing from a box 50 feet in the air as you would from a judges box right in front of the performance area...

just my thoughts...

and totally randomly-i cant WAIT to see RB in winterguard...last year...their *airplane* show was amazing...and i will admit that i bought a pair of those pin-on wings :wink:

Survivor
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Survivor » Sun Nov 28, 2004 2:28 pm

Sorry to upset you :roll: BUT, I think that if you are a world guard then that means that one you have tallent and two your instructors have tallent in teaching you. Yes there are MAJOR differnces in Street,Field, and in door, but they all have the same concept........Spining flag, and body movement......

These are just my thoughts.....
Show my Pride witht the SCV (Future Corp) Yep Yep!!!!!

Lead, Follow, or get out of the way!

-Dave Kuhns

co_capoftheSHSguard
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by co_capoftheSHSguard » Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:40 pm

shagadalex wrote:Garey and Diamond Ranch both had outstanding guards, as usual
you know it

Rifleman
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Rifleman » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:20 pm

Both Bonita Vista and RB have great parade guards, there are also alot of other good parade guards out there. TO know the criteria reference and have students understand how and what to do on the street pays off. Both of them have a great knowledge of the criteria and know what to do and what to put on the strret to have a sucessful program. For all to be sucessful on street know the criteria, use it and so I have been told a million times BE ORIGINAL, when you put something out there and take a chance!!!!!!!!!

MsNikki
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MsNikki » Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:46 am

*sigh* Once again we are taken over by SoCal. I've yet to see any input referring to Northern Cali groups or any NCBA guards.
World Of Pageantry Champion!

GVHS123
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by GVHS123 » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:37 am

Golden Valley High School's (Merced CA) guard performance on the street was great this year. Of course I like a lot of hardware being thrown high in the air rather than the sweeping and mopping flags (just a personal, non-professional opinion). Plus they got new uniforms this year that really presented well with the marching band uniforms, they looked sharp. The guard really put on a show in the street, lots of pagentry!! Just a comment and personal opinion, so I hope no one attacks me. I wish I could post a video, but I have no idea how.

gloria
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by gloria » Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:06 pm

oh yes indeed. Bonita Vista was fantastic this year, I saw then take away sweeps a number of times. Congratulations to them! They're always good on street. RB was good as well.

special shoutouts to Ann of Bonita Vista's guard.

and congratulations to all the guards, best of luck in winterguard (this comes from an ex-guardo :D) .

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bandmaster » Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:53 pm

MsNikki wrote:*sigh* Once again we are taken over by SoCal. I've yet to see any input referring to Northern Cali groups or any NCBA guards.
OK MsNikki, here is a link so all the SoCal kids can go watch a movie I took of Fairfield's Scarlet Regiment at the Central California Band Review a couple of years ago. The guard is VERY, VERY GOOD and the routine is awesome! SoCal kids should watch this one carefully.

http://www.scarletbrigade.org/movie01.html
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster