What does Colorguard mean to you?

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

bangla
New Recruit
New Recruit

What does Colorguard mean to you?

Post by bangla » Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:37 pm

I know it's kind of late to say this, but I would like to thank my team for a great season. They did incredible and I am blown away by there ability to overcome tremendous obstacles. I march with the SJ Raiders Open guard and yeah we may seem like the middle sister to our World guard but in reality it's not what we or our organization is all about. We are one big family and we all love and stick up for eachother. Right now The SJ Raiders Organization is in need of help because of the loss of our practice site. I'm writing this because I think new members may be apprehnsive to join because of this and I think they should see how much this organization has given to the community and fellow guard members. I think it is important to keep this organization and other organizations going and I encourage everyone who reads this to post how much colorguard has ment to them. Maybe it will be enough to encourage those who may be apprehensive to come back or join to actually join!!! So just feel free to talk about what color guard has done for you... It could be mushy or funny :wink: But please don't let this program fall in the dust. Thank You

georgefan22
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by georgefan22 » Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:11 pm

Honestly colorguard is my life I know it's sad to say but some of my closest friends are from gaurd and until recently I thought some of those friends and I would be friends forever but I guess thats not always true. I jsut want to thank sjr open for being there for me and whatever the other members chose to do this winter I am infull supports of them no matter what wheather they like it or not . Raiders open means alot to me and I would like to keep it going for furture generations I will do anything it takes ane hopefully others would lvoe to help me. Don't be shy it's a great organization and were looking for some new friends

RifleDiva86
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by RifleDiva86 » Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:49 am

Colorguard is my life as well..I may be taking a year off of winterguard after 6 straight years, but I am definitely not done with it.. I have my gold Rifle necklace that I never take off, because guard is a part of me, and it means so much.. I've made my best friends through drum corps, and I am so thankful for that. I know that they would do anything for me, as I would do anything for them...I know that we will be friends for the rest of our lives too, no matter how far apart we are. And it's so great to know you have friends like that. I also know that I would not be the person I am today with out guard. I grew up in guard from age 12-18. And I wouldn't have it any other way. The only way I am staying sane with out doing winter guard this season, is the thought of drum corps auditions coming up in the next two months...
Last edited by RifleDiva86 on Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GuarDiva04
Rookie
Rookie

Post by GuarDiva04 » Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:05 pm

The statement Guard Is Life... doesn't even begin to describe what Colorguard has done to me. It has changed my life completly! I have absolutely NO idea where I'd be without it. I joined Guard when I was 11... in 7th grade at Sullivan Middle School and I really am NOT exaggerating when i say from that moment I've been obsessed. I found an old journal of mine from the FIRST month of 7th grade saying how much I loved what i was doing and how I don't remember how life was before Guard. It's true! I remember vaguely being a cheerleader ( but we were GOOD!) But everything else is all a haze! I feel like I was raised by my old instructor, Jason Flores, because he taught me all that I know now. The friendships I've made, and lessons I've learned have shaped me into who I am today. I know that guard will be apart of me for the rest of my life... hey I already started teaching a Guard my senior year in High School.. ain't that commited? LoL I guess no one will truly understand until they become involved and once you're involved... youre hitched! I mean take Dee Ariza for example... that girl was a FOUNDER of not only CCGC but WGI! Shes definatly going to be around to see the end of it! I guess in a way... the reason im so in love with guard is because... it's all I've ever known. But I wouldn't have it any other way!
Fairfield Open 2001-2004
In Motion Winterguard 2005-2006,2009-2010
San Jose Raiders World 2007
Armijo Colorguard Instructor 2004-2006
Dublin Independent Instructor 2007-2009
...Of Essence Winterguard tech 2010

ColorGuardGirlAlways

Post by ColorGuardGirlAlways » Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:07 pm

Guard is spending most, if not all, of your free time practicing something that will not get you a job. It will not get you money. It probably will not even give you personally any awards, yet guard is an award all in itself. It is striving to be the best you can be. It is getting along with other people no matter how much you do not want to. It is spending every Saturday performing your heart out just for the sake of knowing what life is truly all about. Guard is smiling through that last half hour of practice, no matter how much you want to go home. It is coming together with other people who love guard as much as you. It is becoming a better team player. It is overcoming fear. It is performing. It is bettering yourself in many subject areas, all at once.

Guard is Math:
It is rhythmically based on the subdivision of time in music. It incorporates various angles, sequences and geometric shapes on a plane.

Guard is Language:
It is a language all its own that expresses an emotion or tells a story through movement. It uses many aspects brought together to provide the entire picture much as sentences form a paragraph.

Guard is Science:
It is a study of physics. Equipment must be accurately utilised to create a desired effect based on force, speed, and reactions.

Guard is History:
History, as the study of people, is a major part of the guard environment. Guard is the allowing of very different people to find a common ground. It is influenced by the past and influences the future as it goes along.

Guard is a Sport:
It is a test of physical dexterity, stamina, hand-eye coordination, body control, strength, and balance. It is a game that we play as a team, bettering ourselves through practice, both on our own and as a unit. It is competitive. We compete against ourselves to become better, as well as against other guards for awards. It has fans, as any sport does. It has those that are fans of the sport, as well as those fond of a particular group alone. They are with us through thick and thin, whether we win or lose. They give back what we give to them.

Guard is Art:
It is a performing art of the greatest degree. It involves the audience through music, color, excitement, story lines, dance, and a flair that is unique to each performing unit.

Guard is Education:
It is learning, trying new things, and doing things you may be uncomfortable doing. It is learning about others, as well as yourself. It is learning about the world around us.

Guard is Life:
It is beauty, love, talent, cooperation, learning, challenges, and raw emotion. It is becoming the best person you can possibly be. It is the greatest natural high.
http://www.angelfire.com/music3/MOG/whatis.html

i agree compleatly with that. i love guard mainly because i get a greater feeling of accomplishment then i ever have in anything ive ever done, and ive done a lot. and i love the feeling i get when i get out onto a field and compeate. i love color guard and it is becoming my life as i continue in it :D
Guard rox my striped sox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WC Guy

Colorguard...

Post by WC Guy » Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:53 am

Wow.. everyone is so intense about colorguard.. GOOD FOR U!!!
i could not express into words what colorguard means to me, or has been to me. it is basically my source of happiness... keep on spinning.. dont stop. jus keep spinning.
Interests...: girls.. ;)

shorty
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by shorty » Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:47 pm

Colorguard is life. I can write a novel about how much it means to me and how much of an impact is has played on my life. I can not express how much it means to me in one reply. Pancho, Jennie, and the rest of the team <3
INTENSITY<3

co_capoftheSHSguard
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by co_capoftheSHSguard » Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:01 pm

shorty wrote:Colorguard is life. I can write a novel about how much it means to me and how much of an impact is has played on my life. I can not express how much it means to me in one reply. Pancho, Jennie, and the rest of the team <3
i totally with you i dont know where i would be without colorguard

Rifleman
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Rifleman » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:21 pm

LIFE and the most rewarding thing I feel I have done in my life!!!!!!!!!

RifleChick/Drumline_luver
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by RifleChick/Drumline_luver » Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:33 pm

Colorguard to me is the funnest thing in the world! I love it alot! I see colorguard as an out door sport. and a sport that you can't take it easy because It needs hard work! You need to be deticated! and some times make sacrifices because you need to make sacrifices sometimes. But in all it the funnest sport I have done! I love colorguard!!! Happy Holidays!!!!!!!!!!!
***Whoo Whoo TRAINS***

***Yup I Spin Rifle!!***

LMHSMetalGod
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by LMHSMetalGod » Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:33 pm

To me Guard is my new 2nd semiester family-marching band is 1st semiester. I just started i already know that it is gonna be Fun and challenging at the same time, just like band. Guard lets me express my emotions more then band tho.
GIT R DONE

guarddude
Veteran
Veteran

Post by guarddude » Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:49 pm

Guard is spending most, if not all, of your free time practicing something that will not get you a job. It will not get you money
You know what?

You can make money doing guard now. It's called "BLAST"! The performers in Blast get paid for being on stage. I assume they get contracts and everything.

I know there are instructors who do make money doing guard and they make OK money. You can make money at something you love!

luckiecg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by luckiecg » Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:37 pm

guarddude wrote:
Guard is spending most, if not all, of your free time practicing something that will not get you a job. It will not get you money
You know what?

You can make money doing guard now. It's called "BLAST"! The performers in Blast get paid for being on stage. I assume they get contracts and everything.

I know there are instructors who do make money doing guard and they make OK money. You can make money at something you love!
i agree with that, but it's pretty dang impossible to make the cast of blast, so i don't know about that, but instructing is about as close as anyone can actually get to making money while spinning, though you don't get to perform, so it's not quite the same...but yeah, back on topic...
You can always do it...so just shut up and do it.

guarddude
Veteran
Veteran

Post by guarddude » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:36 pm

There have been many touring companies of Blast!.

I have some friends that were in the Disney CA Adv cast that did it for a while but quit because they wanted to do other things (university studies, family, relationships, color guard coaching, careers). The national tour gets paid for touring but you have to be available to tour around the world/country and have 6-9 months availble for the tour. That's the tough part -- putting your life on hold while you tour with Blast!.

It's the same with the national tours of major broadway productions. You just learn to stay on the road if you love it that much. As with national casts of Broadway shows, people leave because of other opportunities.

In a perfect world, I'm sure all of us would love to spin until our dentures fall out. But reality is, your passion sometimes has to take a back seat to eating food, gasoline, wheels, paying the cable bill so you can watch DCI, and having a roof over your head.

Color guard means sacrifice and sometimes the joy of performing is somewhat diminished by the reality of daily living.