Olympic Sport-Colorguard?

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

CgiSmYLiFe_10
New Recruit
New Recruit

Olympic Sport-Colorguard?

Post by CgiSmYLiFe_10 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:47 am

Am I the only one who thinks colorguard/winterguard should become an olympic sport? I mean after two weeks of watching most of the olympic games i think it's the perfect olympic sport. Am i way ahead of myself here? could it happen? It would be great if it did because it would become even more world reknown. Tell me what you guys think

audrizzle13
Veteran
Veteran

Post by audrizzle13 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:06 pm

I think that if they can have synchronized trampolining as a sport, why not have colorguard?
myspace.com/audreypuff
Nurses do it painless.
Nurses do it with TLC.
Nurses do it with care.
Nurses do it with intensive care.

luckiecg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by luckiecg » Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:38 pm

most definately....i think it should be judged like gymnastics, what with the different captions and all. you know?
You can always do it...so just shut up and do it.

flagratgirl
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by flagratgirl » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:18 pm

the only problem with colorguard as an olympic sport is the fact that very few countries actually do colorguard. there are not enough people able to participate i mean there would be maybe what 4 or 5 teams.... thats all not too competative. trust me a few people in my guard ahve talked about this and that was our conclusion as to y there is a lack of pageantry in the olympic world.
WOP OT Mafia Game I: Townsperson champion

There is no beginning or end.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is mystery.
Today is a gift.

audrizzle13
Veteran
Veteran

Post by audrizzle13 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:01 pm

It'd start out how baseball and softball did where it was really just the US and Japan, but when word gets around that they would make it an olympic sprt other countries would get interested and want to do it just to win another medal.
myspace.com/audreypuff
Nurses do it painless.
Nurses do it with TLC.
Nurses do it with care.
Nurses do it with intensive care.

ColorguardBHS2004
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by ColorguardBHS2004 » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:55 am

Your right they should if they can call cheerleading a sport then we can be a sport !!!!lets become a sport yay!!!! :lol:
If you drop oh well pick it up and keep on going! DUH

Practice so you won't SUCK (please do it for me)

Boohoo I miss colorguard and I miss my kick A$$ guard. I love you all! Bellflower Guard your still my FLOWERS

CaptainKiki
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by CaptainKiki » Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:48 pm

We're considered a sport at our school. We get PE credit, along with Fine Arts credit.

Anyway, if they can make "rhythmic gymnastics" an Olympic sport... AKA: Ribbon dancing... Then they should make Guard an olympic sport!

Guard deserves to be EVERYWHERE!!!!
Woodbridge High School
2003 - "It Spins Us Around": (BE THE BRAVE LITTLE TOASTER! Not the Air Conditioner)
2004 - "Pacific 231": (GAME ON!)
2005 - "Master of Suspense": (In the RIDER)
Color Guard Co-Captain 2003-2005
Class of 2006 :)

guardoandlovinitforlife
New Recruit
New Recruit

Yeah!

Post by guardoandlovinitforlife » Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:00 pm

airforce13 wrote:I think that if they can have synchronized trampolining as a sport, why not have colorguard?
seriously! the trampoline was kinda lame...in my opinion. lol :) anyway, were considered a sport at our school too. we get pe and performing arts credits, (which btw i will have up the wazoo) anyway, i think that would be SO cool. i would so try to get there lol :wink:
OOH! IT'S A MEAN BUG! what, its not a happy bug? NO! IT'S AN ANGRY BUG! I HEARD IT BUZZING IN MY EAR AND IT WAS ANGRY! so anyway...TOSSES!

O.O whos he...is that a freshman?! O.O pretty freshman...

So I love you, right?
Co-Captain 2004-2005 ^_^

TMR Quint Kid
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TMR Quint Kid » Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:16 pm

flagratgirl wrote:the only problem with colorguard as an olympic sport is the fact that very few countries actually do colorguard. there are not enough people able to participate i mean there would be maybe what 4 or 5 teams.... thats all not too competative. trust me a few people in my guard ahve talked about this and that was our conclusion as to y there is a lack of pageantry in the olympic world.
if other countries are willing to learn trampoline whatever, then i think they'd be into colorguard. It would be awesome to see colorguard in the olympics, but not as cool as entire field shows. I think DCI and the olympics should combine. That'd be cool. Hehe.

flagchild06
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by flagchild06 » Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:27 pm

You can't judge colorguard. There are no set standards. Gymnastics are like pointed toes and everything. Maaaybe you could try and judge but, based on what? Give them the same music? Same work?
Uh-oh for life!
EAT THE FREAKIN COOKIE!!!
I can't get my fat ass off the ground.
Because God said I could be a super ninja.

TMR Quint Kid
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TMR Quint Kid » Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:06 pm

flagchild06 wrote:You can't judge colorguard. There are no set standards. Gymnastics are like pointed toes and everything. Maaaybe you could try and judge but, based on what? Give them the same music? Same work?
Well, why not judge it the way it is for WGI or another circuit?

GuarDiva04
Rookie
Rookie

what????

Post by GuarDiva04 » Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:31 pm

You can't judge colorguard. There are no set standards. Gymnastics are like pointed toes and everything. Maaaybe you could try and judge but, based on what? Give them the same music? Same work?
No set standards? Are you crazy? How do you think we compete in WGI? There are set standards and the difference form guard to guard is how the go about achieving geatness in those captions. I agree Guard should be in the olympics because what better way to spread the love eh? LoL
Fairfield Open 2001-2004
In Motion Winterguard 2005-2006,2009-2010
San Jose Raiders World 2007
Armijo Colorguard Instructor 2004-2006
Dublin Independent Instructor 2007-2009
...Of Essence Winterguard tech 2010

RifleDiva86
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by RifleDiva86 » Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:23 pm

I think that drum corps should be put in the olympics before winterguard, because winterguard is a lot like gymnastics (for the exception that we spin). Drum Corps is more strenuous and atheletic & I think if we put that up to a committe that decides whether a sport should be allowed in the olympics, they would be more agreeing to drum corps. Besides, we could say that DCI is already put on TV & played in the movie theatres (as of this summer), and they might actually look into it. Also if Drum Corps was put in the olympics, it's only a matter of time until they put winterguard in! ... That way we get guard and music into the olympics... I think that would be a cool idea..

alto s@x 87
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by alto s@x 87 » Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:17 pm

I think it would be an awesome idea, but right now the support in other countries is not strong enough. but if that curling sport is in the olympics why not drum corps or guards? neither the band or guard at our school gets PE credit. what a crime. cheerleading might be considered a sport, but is it in the olympics? not to my knowledge. but then again, i didn't know that trampolines were in the olympics either.
freaky dutch boy

Upland High School
Class of '06

crack it
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by crack it » Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:40 pm

Well I was given some old WGI tapes, from 88 and 89 from my band director, and they were called the Winterguard Olympics. Even though I know it's not the actual Olympics, Championships used to be called the Olympics.

Sorry I just thought that was weird...
ya