Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

RifleDiva
Veteran
Veteran

2004 Advisory Board Proposals

Post by RifleDiva » Mon May 31, 2004 9:51 am

http://wgi.org/news/view.php?id=174

I don't know how many of you have read this; I just read the guard one since we don't have a drum line. So what do you all think of these? I really like the floor folding idea. Would have saved us at Arcadia with all that rain...gosh did our tarp smell! Anyway, I’m not so sure about the ones that require you to go to a regional to go to champs, could make it difficult for some guards. Should be interesting how much of this we see next year.
c/o 2005

Love always hopes

sokkerboie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sokkerboie » Mon May 31, 2004 7:23 pm

What do people think about the proposal that all Independent A guards members MUST be of high school age (not graduated from hs)?
Talent is not only a blessing, it is a burden, as the gifted ones will soon find out - Vince Lombardi

RifleDiva
Veteran
Veteran

Post by RifleDiva » Mon May 31, 2004 8:21 pm

I’m not in an independent guard, but I understand their reasoning since all SA guards are of high school age, but that doesn't entirely make sense since the two don't compete with each other. But then there is this thought. if they impose age limits on the divisions it makes it fairer amongst them so you don't have a high schooler competing against someone in their 20's. But I personally think that age has nothing to do with it. Experience is what they should go off of. Everyone picks up guard at different times. Like in my grade level at my school (c/o 2005), 2 have spun for 6 years, 3 have spun for 5 years and I have spun for 4 years. We are all the same age (I’m actually the 2nd oldest) but we have a wide variety of experience. So just cause someone is in their 20's that doesn't mean they will have 10 years under their belt. So just something to consider.
c/o 2005

Love always hopes

flagratgirl
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by flagratgirl » Mon May 31, 2004 8:58 pm

i like #23 it makes sense to me.
WOP OT Mafia Game I: Townsperson champion

There is no beginning or end.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is mystery.
Today is a gift.

yellow
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by yellow » Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:07 am

I don't understand what SA guards being under 18 has to do with IA guards. SO and SW guards are all under 18 also.... Right? So why only make the argument for the A class. Plus competing in a higher class has a lot more to do with the design of a show I think. If that rule passes, I think there will just be a lot more open guards. The IA class keeps shrinking. It's almost like they don't want it anymore. I don't get it.

appleaday04
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by appleaday04 » Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:36 am

I like Number 25 about age outs in independent class altoghether

I find it that I agree with the proposal.

luckiecg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by luckiecg » Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:06 pm

we have a University Class?
You can always do it...so just shut up and do it.

mumba182

Post by mumba182 » Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:13 pm

i cant read it my computer wont let me :cry: