going unrecognized...does anyone care??

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

RifleDiva
Veteran
Veteran

Post by RifleDiva » Tue May 25, 2004 8:32 pm

Hey gh3ttogirly, I loved your show! Forget what people at your school say or don't say. You guys are good and you know it! I totally agree with you on why I do this. If the kid in my math class thinks it's cool, so what? If I walk off the gym floor with the biggest smile on my face knowing I just did the best I could do then it's worth it. I remember walking out of the gym at champs. I was so happy. And that's why I do it. Sure it's cool to have people appreciate what you do, but in the end, when you look back on the season, you aren't going to remember the football player who said "good job". You’re going to remember the moments on the field/in the gym. looking back on this season the images that pop into my head are us laughing our heads off in the gym at something someone said, me and Danielle saying stuff to each other in shows ("let's do this"), making faces at Veronica during our ending flag feature (I was facing the back so I got to do that...hehe), seeing my instructor jumping up and down at Vegas (after we got an 80 on Saturday), all our pep talks...I could go on forever. I don't even fully remember the performances, parts of it I do, but I remember the feeling that I felt after I performed more often. Anyway I’m totally going off subject...my point is that, we all know why we do this and if you are good, you know it....don't worry about the jerks that can't get a clue. You’re right gh3ttogirly; it's pretty cool to get compliments from other guards at comps. Or just having comradely with another guard. Ok, I’m going to go off on another tangent if I don't stop soon. So off to the LA homework (interpreting poems...ugh :flush:)
c/o 2005

Love always hopes

guardee101
Rookie
Rookie

Post by guardee101 » Wed May 26, 2004 7:20 pm

wow...i totally agree. i have given up on the people at my school. it is the special moments that make us do guard, not the popularity

GuarDiva04
Rookie
Rookie

Recognition...

Post by GuarDiva04 » Thu May 27, 2004 8:15 am

I think it goes both ways. Guard is the most amazing thing I've ever been apart of. It does more than "PE credits" give you credit for. Fine arts can't even account for it all. It's like the quote says... Colorguard: for those who don't understand no explanation is possible. For those who do, no explanation is necessary. But I see it as an opportunity to SHOW people what colorguard is. Every chance I get, I'm sharing about it, talking about it, watching it... my teachers and friends who AREN'T in guard are probably sick of it... but at least they know what it is and what it's about. It's hard to not be recognized especially at school where your district and administrators are supposed to support you but it's our job to keep this sport going. Invite your friends to your shows. More than likely, they'll enjoy it. Even if they don't get it... watching someone perform changes people. So keep your heads up and enjoy performing like you always do!!!
Fairfield Open 2001-2004
In Motion Winterguard 2005-2006,2009-2010
San Jose Raiders World 2007
Armijo Colorguard Instructor 2004-2006
Dublin Independent Instructor 2007-2009
...Of Essence Winterguard tech 2010

Mr Pageantry
Veteran
Veteran

What You Need To Do!!!!

Post by Mr Pageantry » Thu May 27, 2004 10:34 am

If you and the other members of your colorguard really care about what you do... and if you are willing to expend some extra energy.. here is what you can do!!!

1. Invite your teachers, school administration including the Principal to a special performance JUST For them !! Limit it to about 25-50 people... I mean full makeup, full scenery.. full everything.... Be sure that you speak with the principal.. he OR she WILL BE THE ONE WHO WILL HELP YOU MAKE the event important........

2. Besides the 'Invited Guests' SELL TICKETS (let's say for 25cents) to your own best friends..... maybe 100 tickets can be sold.. make it an exclusive thing.... It has to be done very professionally.. Your instructor or choreographer should be the MC and tell the limited crowd... "This is what we have been doing all over our region this year.... We wanted to show you..." Since your audience will be comprised of 'friends of the school and your own unit.... The MC can even explain.. this is how we enter our stage... We perform but our stage is a basketball court...

3. Tell the administrators and principal that you belong to an association that includes more than 100 schools in the area.... That many of them are fully credited.. that the unit is respected for their grace, musicality, and athletic abilities... You are a DRILL TEAM with props and scenery....

4. Explain that thousands of their friends and neighbors attend the other schools shows.... That the activity has regionals and nationals and world events... Make them understand that you aren't just some flag nerds... that you are a disciplined, choreographed and trained performing group and you are part of a national movement....

5. That should impress some new people!!

6. Speak with the Athletic Directors.. make sure that you get to perform at major athletic events... Get out in front of the basketball crowd... open up a baseball game... present the colors (if nothing else) at a football game... Do a short precise routine that will show people your abilities.. your colorful costumes.. and some of your best moves.. They will all sit through a 3 minute presentation... and your friends, and the athletes will surely appreciate your support of THEIR team or activity. RECRUIT HEAVILY... Let people know you want more members.. use BULLSH to get attention... "Wanted 100 Graceful, Athletic Performers for a NEW Team at our school... Contact>>>>>>"

7 ASK.. if you can present a show at one of the auditorium or assembly sessions.... You are part of the arts community.... YOU DESERVE to be seen and to hear applause....

8. Be proud of your group.. wear your sweats and carry your equipment proudly.... Ask if anyone who has a parent who can put together a couple of good performance or posed photos.... and PUSH THOSE PICTURES into your school and community newspaper.... YOU DESERVE the recognition of your efforts!

NOTHING comes Easy.. get off your lazy butts and MAKE WHAT YOU DO IMPORTANT.... Your principal and faculty are well aware of what you do... If not IT IS YOUR FAULT!!! FINALLY send in an article or information to me at Worldofpageantry.com We'll try to help you and any other group reading this.. We respect you and your team....

Harvey@worldofpageantry.com
714-952-2263