Insane NCBA rule

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

dancingrl
New Recruit
New Recruit

thats wrong

Post by dancingrl » Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:57 pm

Ok Janets_boob...you may not like NCBA but that doesn't give you the right to say that all judges in the circuit have no idea what they are doing. I take offense to that because I know about 4 of those judges and they are all experienced in colorguard, most are still teaching or have just recently quit teaching. So if you have a problem with the circuit keep it to yourself because you don't know who will read this and who you might hurt.

I teach a guard in the NCBA circuit and I use a more depressing song, think outside the box and I use different planes and my group is doing very well. So maybe its just your guard this is the reason. I also get really good tapes, I would say better than with CCGC most of the time.

Maybe it isn't the judges fault to why your team isn't getting judged fairly,( and I'm just taking a guess that they aren't because of the bitterness) but maybe your show just isn't as good as the other teams you are competing against.

I don't mean this to sound rude, even though it may come across like that, but next time you want to post something lets not make it bashing people that you don't know.
Thanks
Favorite phrases...
"Is the guard ready?"
"You may now take the floor in competition!"

OHH I LOVE ME SOME DRUMMERS!!!

janets_b00b
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by janets_b00b » Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:09 pm

This is the one obscure marching arts forum that I've found that talks about NCBA, and now that I've found it they're censoring me (how appropriate).

For the record, I'm not an instructor or affiliated with any guard.

MsNikki
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MsNikki » Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:25 pm

Well basically if you don't have anything nice, or even appropriate, to post, then don't. Attacking, criticizing, or putting down a group or circuit is not nice or appropriate. This applies to EVERYONE.
World Of Pageantry Champion!

dancingrl
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by dancingrl » Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:16 pm

I agree MsNikki...

"For the record, I'm not an instructor or affiliated with any guard."

Then why are you so vocal against the circuit?
Favorite phrases...
"Is the guard ready?"
"You may now take the floor in competition!"

OHH I LOVE ME SOME DRUMMERS!!!

JCYS
Drum Major
Drum Major

Novice person

Post by JCYS » Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:54 am

Since you are new to the NCBA and need some help, I'll chime in here: the rule regarding the start point of timing is at the judges discretion based on the show site:

What does that mean:

At 99% of shows, groups enter from the SIDE of the gym-and exit from the opposite side of the gym, and the NCBA allows..if it works with that particular site..the guard may enter up to the half court line as the other group moves off without timing starting if it doesn't interfer with the other groups exit.

At a couple shows..like Granada..the performers enter from the REAR of the court, while the exiting group leaves via SIDE court. Thus, to allow a group to come on the half court would involve them moving all their stuff along the back of the court with the spectators to the side (and possibly interfering with the exiting group that would still be on the court). If was much more LOGICAL at that contest to start timing from the crossing of the actual court line.

And I don't see why this is such a huge concern...very few groups come anywhere close to their 10 minute limit. The longest "setup/perform/teardown" time I saw at Granada was about 8 minutes. Plenty of time left. The half court rule (which was done just to move things along mostly in the percussion venue) is just done as a courtesy help people move in tons of equipment.

This is why the JUDGE specifically tells you WHEN timing starts at the show. It is not a mistake or changing of the rules, it is FLEXIBILITY of the rules to HELP the performers when possible.

I realize that in a perfect world ALL gyms, entrances, exits, and everything else would be exactly the same at all times, but this isn't like that..

JCYS