Overdone shows for 2004

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

engineer
New Recruit
New Recruit

Overdone shows for 2004

Post by engineer » Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:46 pm

What shows songs/themes/effects have been overdone this season?

From the SJVCGPR circuit Evanesence was the popular choice, by at least three schools, doing the same song, in the same class. Imagine if those schools were put next to each other in a competition. Also anything that suddenly breaks into hip-hop has become a bit cliche, it was cool then, but if it doesn't fit in with the theme its a lost effect.

Matadork05
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by Matadork05 » Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:21 pm

Well Granada and Benica have the same uniforms..thats kinda crazy! :oops:
-Reigning Miss NCBA-
Guard Alumni

My milkshake brings all the boys to the board and they're like "itz btr ten urz".

MsNikki
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Overdone shows for 2004

Post by MsNikki » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:54 pm

mRdJhay wrote:Also anything that suddenly breaks into hip-hop has become a bit cliche, it was cool then, but if it doesn't fit in with the theme its a lost effect.
Well I like to throw in what we call the 'break-it-down' part because it's totally different from the rest of the dance work - adds variety and shows that you're group can execute different styles of dancing. It's mixed in with the traditional tango in the back, so it's not as if it's totally out of place
World Of Pageantry Champion!

guardthepiccolo
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by guardthepiccolo » Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:28 pm

yeah you guys have the same uniforms as our B guard! We looked over at you guys when we were warming up at fairfield, and we thought it was our b guard, and it was at the time of their performance, so it was really scary, but then we realized it was another guard :shock: :lol:
Benicia High School C/O '05
Colorguard Instructor

PoXy02

Uhm, one please?

Post by PoXy02 » Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:29 pm

There are a few shows doing the Matrix as themes this year... and at the first comp at Armijo they were like either right after one another or just one show between.... oh well, i only saw one, LoL
With a taste of your lips I'm on a ride, you're toxic I'm slippin' under

peaches
Rookie
Rookie

Post by peaches » Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:53 pm

Yes, they were right after each other in the same division. But, as of the Fairfield Show, they are no longer in the same division. Which one did you get to see?

guardee101
Rookie
Rookie

Post by guardee101 » Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:22 pm

i dont remember the guards or the song, but at the Arcadia show there were too independent (?) guards that performed back to back with the same song. I felt bad for them when the song came on and the crowd started laughing. Oh well, they both did really well!!!

TheEgg
New Recruit
New Recruit

haha

Post by TheEgg » Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:17 pm

I remember watching that..i was laughing so hard. Well they were in independent A. And one team was called Project "L" and i can't rememeber the other team name. Except the other team tried pulling off a mini fantasia...the costumes were the same genre and they tried pulling similar stunts and moves. Eh just observations. But that was still really funny. :lol:
Howz the fetus?!
HAAAAWAAAFEEN ::band:: HAWAFEEN ::band:: HAWAFEENA!
"I'm gunna shake your ladder next time AND make sure you fall off!"-Boobs

everybodycrys
New Recruit
New Recruit

hey, be fair

Post by everybodycrys » Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:12 pm

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:17 pm Post subject: haha

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[color=red]I remember watching that..i was laughing so hard. Well they were in independent A. And one team was called Project "L" and i can't rememeber the other team name. Except the other team tried pulling off a mini fantasia...the costumes were the same genre and they tried pulling similar stunts and moves. Eh just observations. But that was still really funny. [/color]

I just felt the need to chime in here. I know some of the performers on the "other guard" aka windswept, and have seen their show at 2 shows, Arcadia and El rancho. I don't think its a mini fantasia at all. I expect your referring to fantasia's show last year. Fantasia's uniforms were punkish, WS's are gothic. and I don't remember seeing any stunts from any world class show. no trick catches or stunts. There was an under the leg catch but guards have been doing that for years. I agree that it is funny to see 2 guards do the same music right after each other, but hopefully each one gives it their own flair and identity. BTW I want to say congrats to Windswept , you guys rocked at El Rancho, a much much better run then I saw at Arcadia. keep up the good work :lol:

ProjectLMan
New Recruit
New Recruit

Friendly Competition

Post by ProjectLMan » Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:51 pm

As a member of the Project "L" staff, I know what you guys are talking about when mentioning the Arcadia and El Rancho shows. Yes, people did laugh....kinda sad, but I think it only made both Windswept and Project "L" want to give more to the audience. People have assumed that because both guards are in the same division and have the same music, that they are rivals. When in fact, both guards have helped each other out and are becoming great friends....thus making it a friendly competition. Both guards have great talent and they both give the song their own little touch. One guard is telling one story and the other another story. Very interesting shows. Good Luck to Windswept as they will go on to WGI Nationals in April.

adora

pirates!

Post by adora » Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:55 pm

maybe they are overdone but you have to admit helix was the best.... im in love.... <3

flagchild06
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by flagchild06 » Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:58 pm

Has anybody else noticed that this year is like the crazy backdrop year? Last year I didn't really notice as many props and stuff and this year is like KABOOM! with the props and backdrops and stuff.
Uh-oh for life!
EAT THE FREAKIN COOKIE!!!
I can't get my fat ass off the ground.
Because God said I could be a super ninja.

guardee101
Rookie
Rookie

Post by guardee101 » Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:46 pm

i dont like it when they use a lot of backdrops because it is so hard to see if we have to sit on the back side