Are you scared?

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

Are you scared to tell you instructor things?

yes, very
9%
a little bit
19%
sometimes, not very often
28%
nope, never
44%

Total votes: 32

snapcracklepop

Are you scared?

Post by snapcracklepop » Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:02 pm

Are you scared to tell your coach things such as telling them you can't be at practice for a day, feeling sick and really wanting to sit out, but not telling them?
Anything like that.

flagchild06
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by flagchild06 » Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:43 pm

I'm afraid to like bring up things within the guard with them, but I'm almost never sick, so that's not a problem. Of course there's the fun part of asking your guy instructor if you can go to the bathroom for "female problems".

I'm afraid to talk to my instructors though, sometimes. I used to be really negative because.. reasons :D and now I'm trying to be more happy and stuff and my instructors always think I'm almost on something if I'm not being negative. It's kinda wierd... so I just sit and be quiet and smile and nod.
Uh-oh for life!
EAT THE FREAKIN COOKIE!!!
I can't get my fat ass off the ground.
Because God said I could be a super ninja.

guardchixrok9

scared?

Post by guardchixrok9 » Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:32 pm

i don't usually get scared to tell my instructors about sicknesses or needing to use the bathroom... unless i can tell they're in a really bad mood. :shock:
Happiness is like peeing yourself, everyone can see it but only u can feel its warmth.

Be alert - the world needs more lerts.

Ever wonder if illiterate people get the full effect of alphabet soup? - John Mendoza

iminguard
Rookie
Rookie

scared??? nah

Post by iminguard » Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:57 pm

Why would you be scared? You should be able to talk to them no matter what kind of mood there in. I talk to my instructor all the time.
Breath in the music Breath out your performance.....

sabrebatgirl
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by sabrebatgirl » Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:08 pm

Sometimes it's scary but I usually try to push myself to not sit out and just suck up and deal so I don't really have to talk to them about that.

lordjedediah
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by lordjedediah » Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:33 pm

even though im in drumline i am very scared to tell our instructors things because they get so mad no matter what

RifleDiva86
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by RifleDiva86 » Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:41 pm

I can understand that some people would and should be afraid to talk to their instructors about missing practice...some intstructors can get a little anal sometimes and freak out...I can't really say how I feel about the whole thing though because I haven't missed any practices for the six years that I have been doing guard...and yes I have been so sick I've almost died at practice, but I've still come through. To me, guard is more important than anything, I mean besides Chemistry or Physics..lol...but shhh...I never said that! ;)

ProjectLMan
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by ProjectLMan » Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:37 am

Let me start off by saying that I am an instructor and what I'm about to say is only my way of viewing things. I always keep in mind that my students do have other things in life that they need to take care of. Some of them are involved in school activities that sometimes conflict with our rehearsal schedule. I don't get too upset when they have to miss rehearsal for those types of reasons. What does upset me is when they seem to be giving lame excuses for being absent. You guys know that sometimes you try to lie to us and we catch on. We, instructors, have heard it all. We know your tricks, we've done it ourselves. So the reason some instructors get so mad at students missing rehearsals or performances, is because we know that you think we're dumb enough to fall for your lies. Now, say you're sick, ok we understand, but do understand also that we also get ill at times and because we know how hard it is to miss an entire day of rehearsal, we still show up. That's why we expect for you to do the same. We do care about you guys, but if we have to stop rehearsal to make you feel better, it really isn't fair for the rest of the guard, is it? So that's just my 2 cents into this topic. Some of you will go on to instruct guards of your own, and you'll see what I'm talking about. Good Luck to all!

masterphatjd
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by masterphatjd » Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:53 am

Well-stated! I know exactly what you mean! Our instructor sprained her ankle last week and came to rehearsal this week and was still teaching us. What I don't get is the people that say that they have to leave rehearsal early because they have SO much homework. I wonder if the athletes at our school pull that same excuse - they practice EVERY DAY. But in general, our instructor is pretty easy to get along with - she just gets mad when we don't retain stuff she has taught us or cleaned, which is understandable.

flagchild06
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by flagchild06 » Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:17 pm

ProjectLMan wrote:Let me start off by saying that I am an instructor and what I'm about to say is only my way of viewing things. I always keep in mind that my students do have other things in life that they need to take care of. Some of them are involved in school activities that sometimes conflict with our rehearsal schedule. I don't get too upset when they have to miss rehearsal for those types of reasons. What does upset me is when they seem to be giving lame excuses for being absent. You guys know that sometimes you try to lie to us and we catch on. We, instructors, have heard it all. We know your tricks, we've done it ourselves. So the reason some instructors get so mad at students missing rehearsals or performances, is because we know that you think we're dumb enough to fall for your lies. Now, say you're sick, ok we understand, but do understand also that we also get ill at times and because we know how hard it is to miss an entire day of rehearsal, we still show up. That's why we expect for you to do the same. We do care about you guys, but if we have to stop rehearsal to make you feel better, it really isn't fair for the rest of the guard, is it? So that's just my 2 cents into this topic. Some of you will go on to instruct guards of your own, and you'll see what I'm talking about. Good Luck to all!
Have you ever heard "I got hit by a car?"

The first day our new instructor came, I had just gotten hit by a car and I still couldn't spin, so I sat out in basics block and she had just got done telling us she had heard them all so when she asked what my deal was I told her "I got hit by a car." She didn't know if I was joking or not :D I think that was the first time she had ever heard it. I usually don't miss practice.. I try not to anyways.
Uh-oh for life!
EAT THE FREAKIN COOKIE!!!
I can't get my fat ass off the ground.
Because God said I could be a super ninja.

ProjectLMan
New Recruit
New Recruit

Are you afraid?

Post by ProjectLMan » Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:49 pm

LOL....can't say that I have. That's a first for me. Not that I think it's funny, just different. I had one student call me and sounded all scratchy voice and all, talking about how she had a sore throat, fever and stomach cramps........on my way home I see this student at Carl's Jr. eating a Super Star w/Cheese and laughing up a storm with her friends. She sees me and says, "They thought I might feel better if I came to eat with them!!" She was cut after that!!

guardee101
Rookie
Rookie

Post by guardee101 » Thu Feb 26, 2004 5:42 pm

people on my guard usually dont just ditch like that, but we still are nervous to tell our coach that we have to leave early or something. i hardly miss, but i feel guilty when i do. i pretty much try to push through everything. i had a migraine last year and was really light headed and i kept hitting myself. my coach was mad, but i explained i was feeling sick and she let me sit out. i feel flaky when i miss tho!

crack it
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by crack it » Thu Feb 26, 2004 5:50 pm

just the other day, i had a bunch of homework and i had to come late to practice cause i wanted to get as much done as possible, and when i came back, i felt really out of place and like i didnt belong. To top it all off, the first thing i did was fall right on my butt at the beginning of the rifle feature, and then the instructors kept staring at me the whole time. I feel really ackward telling my instructors that i have to come late or miss practice of anything, so i just try to come every day
ya

flagratgirl
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by flagratgirl » Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:00 pm

i ahvent missed a practice since freshman year when i had to go to a family get together up in big bear and that was the only time i ahve missed i have gone sick and sat out and i always feel bad but cant do much about that
WOP OT Mafia Game I: Townsperson champion

There is no beginning or end.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is mystery.
Today is a gift.

RifleDiva
Veteran
Veteran

Post by RifleDiva » Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:21 pm

I like this topic!

as a guard we don't really have a problem with people doing that mostly because we don't won’t to let each other down. If one person is absent it can pull everyone back.

Personally I try not to miss rehearsals. especially our evening rehearsals cause that's our gym time and we don't get much gym time so I try to respect that. Plus I hate missing rehearsal and then missing learning new work or if it's been cleaned I won't know. and I don't want to let my girls down :kiss: lucky for me I don't get sick often, so I rarely miss practices (I think I missed a zero period last year) and I don't have anything that is really conflicting. Guard is my only school related activity. Of course there is always homework, but I try to be smart about that. If I know that I have practice on Monday I don't leave everything until that night. sometimes the stress level goes up when homework and guard collide (I have an AP class and an honors class, so there is no such thing as an easy night) and I can be a pain at practice cause I am freaking out about the APUSH test I have the next day, but I try really hard to keep those things separate. Plus there is always the option of bringing homework with me to a competition and working on it there (yes I have done that)

But as for talking to my instructor...no, I’m not scared. I used to be though. Freshmen year was my first real year on guard (I spun half a season in 8th) and she was intimidating. I’ve always had a huge respect and somewhat fear of authority. But now I’m a junior and thanks to some interesting stuff that happened last year I’ve broken through that scary barrier. Plus I tried out for captain and part of try-outs is an interview with our guard instructor and our band director, so I’m more comfortable talking to her. I see her more of a friend now, but still have respect for her as my instructor. I’ve realized she's here to help me, not torture me with hundreds of run-throughs, she just wants us to do better. So no, talking to my instructor is not hard, at least not anymore :wink:
c/o 2005

Love always hopes