Rebuilding Year?

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

vintagecrusher
New Recruit
New Recruit

Rebuilding Year?

Post by vintagecrusher » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:51 am

Is it just me, or is this past winter season a "rebuilding year" for a majority of programs? I know that I teach at a new school and all [so we just build], but after watching a lot of NCBA and a couple of WGI shows in Scholastic A and World, it seems like this year was a rebuilding year.

In no way am I saying it was bad or not up to par with past years, I just noticed that a lot of the schools I have watched this season seemed to approach their programs a bit more cautiously and seemed to have a lot of new fresh faces come in. I could also be due to a younger teaching staff, but I mean hey, it's my first year; for all I know, this could have been happening the entire time and I just noticed it now.

What do you guys think?

oldsole84
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: Rebuilding Year?

Post by oldsole84 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:41 pm

Disagree.

Many color guards in CCGC definitely grew this year in all classes from the previous year. 2011 was probably a stronger year for that circuit compared to 2010. James Logan Open, Jesse Bethel, Lynbrook and Amador Valley are some stand outs.

The World Class guards at WGI had lots of guards improve. Northview from out of finals in 2010 to 6th in 2011. Carmel winning SW this year, their show was a well put together and executed package. Even James Logan from a shaky start at the beginning of the season to a solid ending. Northview finishing 6th from missing finals last year. Santa Clara going from 17 members to 32 and winning IW. Braddock taking their 1st medal. Fantasia finishing 5th from not even being in finals in 2010, Opus 10 being 6th from 15th, Zydeco and Corona being able to return strongly after a season off. Even Onyx found a different way to grow from 2010, by no means does a 2nd place finish mean an “off” year for them. Placements aside, just watching them you see the difference. Can’t say that 2011 was a rebuilding year for these groups.

Can’t really speak for NCBA as I didn’t have a chance to see shows live. Although from Youtube, what I do notice consistency. It just seems that once a guard reaches a peak, they just stay at the same level. Foothill, Vallejo and Benicia are some examples. Armijo and Vanden who seemed poised for further growth, seemed the same as the previous year.

ErinF
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Rebuilding Year?

Post by ErinF » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:04 am

This year was a rebuilding year for many in NCBA. I teach with Vanden and we're definately in the reuilding stage both this year and next year. We lost of alot of seniors last year as well as all of our leadership. So this year we started out with all new captains and ALOT of new freshman. Out of the 14 girls we had on our winter team, only 6 were returning. The rest were new and needed to be taught everything.

I know Vallejo is rebuilding as well and im going to assume Foothill is also as they took a step down from the Open class and im assuming its because they're taking time to build up their core performers again.

As far as progressing. Ive been approached by both judges and other instructors about the possibility of my team moving into Open. I hope it never happens. Im content with my girls being in Scholastic. Right now we only practice 2 days a week after school and i just dont feel that's enough time to get all of our girls up the level they need to be at to be competetive in Open class. Next year we're thinking of taking down our numbers and having a smaller guard and i fully intend to keep them in Scholastic.